Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

Hussar

Legend
For all the flak that the modules get they were incredibly innovative.

I mean one of the modules didn’t even have an adventure in it. It was a board game for playing out the ear and rules for using the game to create a campaign.

Imagine if WotC tried that today? People would freak. The cojones to print a module in a series that wasn’t even an adventure. Wow.

My theory is if WotC game designers are playtesting mass battles, they will use some computer battle simulation software, at least to know the power balance. And maybe they want to publish a miniature skirmish game, and that rule system to be adapted to a videogame. Birthright would be the perfect setting for a D&D strategy videogame.

* The story of the heroes of the lance has got a beginning, middle and end. You can't tell the same story again with the same characters or you will create a feeling being within a time loop.

The setting needs to be set in a "next generation". Tasslehoff Burfoot could have got a niece, couldn't he?

* What if the "drows" from Krynn were elves falling "in the dark side of the Force" but ordinary humans with dark arts to "evolutionate" because they envied elf longevility? A good reason to add other secret evil cult.

* What if lord Soth's son was resurrected as part of a complex conspirancy by the gods?

* Shouldn't Liam of Eldor to have been a half-dragon?

* What if people from the lost civiliation in Zivilyn(Krynnspace) survived in an artificial demiplane within the Gray?

What if within the Gray there is an artificial demiplane created and ruled by gem dragons, working as a crossover between Dragonlance and Councyl of Wyrms?

* Where went the souls of the killed dragon overlords? Could these to become demigods by the work of secret dragon cults?

Orc Stain's Chits might have it beat:

Ah, the most ridiculous economic system ever devised rears its ugly head.

Yeah, I have my old copy, and it's a lovely volume. Likewise, that art is a direct pipeline to when Dragonlance and gaming were new to me.

I bought that book in the year 1993, and it is really a must-have, with pictures by the most famous artists who worked for D&D: Elmore, Easley and cia. To see those pictures again after decades are like watching a window to the past.

I'm starting to think that the real conflicit between the authors of the upcoming novels and WotC had nothing to do with the PC stuff and it was really about WotC wanting to make sure DL was very much part of the default Multiverse and that the whole multicanons thing wasn't about FR at all,but rather about this cosmological conflict between WotC and DL authors.

I'm starting to think that the real conflicit between the authors of the upcoming novels and WotC had nothing to do with the PC stuff and it was really about WotC wanting to make sure DL was very much part of the default Multiverse and that the whole multicanons thing wasn't about FR at all,but rather about this cosmological conflict between WotC and DL authors.
I dunno - the complaint Weis and Hickman filed did have that oddly specific call-out to how love potions are in the 5e DMG and totally exist as canon in the world of Dungeons and Dragons.

edit: page ten.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And so do Charm spells. Look, if such a beloved children's/YA book series as Harry Potter can have love potions (brewable by children, no less!), why are we picking on D&D? Wait...that isn't right...what were we discussing again?
If Harry Potter were being published now, love potions would have been vetoed. The spirit of the age has changed.

Remove ads

Remove ads