• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Drenai -> d20/OGL starting point?

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Aus Snow! Might I suggest The Game of Throes RPG. Settngs are fairly similiar with built in rules for Reputation & political influence. You could use Pisionics from D&D or Green Ronin's Pyschic Handbook to cover their powers. Seems you wouldn't have much to convert. Just my two coppers. Thanks Maester Luwin

Aus_Snow

First Post
Strutinan said:
the Universal Decay system which powers it uses a feat/skills-based magic system.

*snip*
Nice! That kind of thing appeals greatly to my sense of 'realism', 'grittiness' and such. It is over to RPGNow I go, if only to check out the freebie(s) for now. Then I'll know for sure if I want to buy any of your stuff. Seems likely at this stage though, I'll just add.

Maester Luwin: well, that's why I mentioned it in my OP ;), but so far I think IH has the upper hand for this purpose.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey Aus Snow! No problem. I didn't see it only Conan & Grim Tales (both quite good btw) but out f all of them I feel AGoT comes closest as I own all three. I do not have IH but have heard good things. Thanks Maester Luwin

Aus_Snow said:
All very good points, amethal. Thanks for taking the time to make them.
No problem. Got to get my post count up somehow! I'm just a bit worried that my knowledge of the Drenai is a bit hazy as I haven't read the books for a while.

Aus_Snow said:
What though is the problem with the Arcanist? Nobody seems to like them! :\ I haven't used the class (I haven't played in or run an IH campaign yet), so yeah, if someone could help me out here, that'd be great.
I'm biased against it because of the rumour (slander?) that it was bolted on as an afterthought. That's not a rational position, but I can't help it.

Mechanically, it has been criticised for being underpowered i.e. it can't compete with a D&D sorcerer, let alone a D&D sorcerer with his full complement of magic items. Don't know if this is true or not, but most of my regular group would whine if they ended up with an underpowered character.

Also, I like the Iron Heroes theme that magic is what the bad guys do. Having a "bad guy" in the party would dilute that theme, and I'm not sure any roleplaying gains "We arcanists are so misunderstood <sob>" would be worth the cost.

Aus_Snow said:
re: Blue Rose - I have it, but haven't used it so far. I must admit, there's a kneejerk reaction against using "A Roleplaying Game of Romantic Fantasy" for Gemmell's stuff, but I'll give ti a a more thorough look when I get a chance. True20 is on my dwindling 'must get' list, and I suppose I'll know how appropriate it might be when it gets here.
Just think of Blue Rose as being Mutants & Masterminds. Does that help? :)

You have to get True20. It completely destroyed all my preconceptions of what the d20 system is and what it can be used for.

I'd still recommend starting with the Iron Heroes system rather than True20 as to me it "fits" better with Drenai, but the True20 magic system is better in my opinion.

For what its worth, the setting I am currently working on is a Star Wars meets Legend of the Five Rings, and I'll be using True20 for that. Of course, its such a weird concept that I'm sure it'll never get played!

Remove ads