D&D General Druids and Path Dependency: Why the Scimitar Helps Illuminate D&D

DrunkonDuty

he/him
One thing later editions seem to have right is the shape changing. Many of the the Irish/British examples of druids involve changing their own and others' shapes. I have heard a theory that the Song of Amergin, from the Book of Invasions, is an expression of belief in reincarnation.

One possible translation of Amergina is "White Knees." I suspect it is a mistranslation and is supposed to be "White Russian."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The khopesh, the jambiya, the saber, the cutlass, the falx, maybe even the nagamaki?
Interesting enough of course Falx is indeed derived from the Sica (Sickle) and referred to a range of Sickle bladed weapons of various lengths. So having Druid sickles inspire longer Falx-like weapons makes sense for DnD worlds, calling them Scimitar is just a result of different cultural influences converging

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Interesting enough of course Falx is indeed derived from the Sica (Sickle) and referred to a range of Sickle bladed weapons of various lengths. So having Druid sickles inspire longer Falx-like weapons makes sense for DnD worlds, calling them Scimitar is just a result of different cultural influences converging
Ever since I heard about the Dacian Falx and how devastating it was in combat, I've wanted to use one in a game. Though I'll probably just end up refluffing a glaive and sighing, lol.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I do recall a Pathfinder game where the GM allowed a Druid to use a falcata. Not really the same thing, but it sure was nice of him!

Remove ads