D&D 5E Dual melee setup for rogue

Shiroiken

Legend
Those rogue guides might well mention dual wielding melee as a possibility, but they should not recommend it.

As a rogue you're soft and squishy. If possible, stay out of melee and let the tanks soak the damage.

You won't be dual wielding, but you should find it relatively easy to get the next best thing: attacking with advantage also allows you to roll two dice to increase your chance of delivering your sneak damage.
One of the biggest advantages of the Rouge is the ability to switch hit. By which I mean that they can work in melee and at ranged with (near) equal benefit, allowing you to be wherever you need to be for optimal benefit.

As for TWF Rogues, it partially depends on group dynamic, level, and the DM. Optimally, you want to hit with your main attack, then retreat with your bonus action (limiting attacks against you). TWF gives you the choice to risk attacks in an attempt to get your Sneak Attack off if you miss with your main hand. At lower levels, this is much harder, because your AC probably isn't that great and neither are your HP. Once you get Uncanny Dodge (or Evasion, I forget which), you can use your Reaction to half the damage of one attack, making TWF much better. Of course, if the DM is vindictive and targets the rogue repeatedly, then TWF is a bad choice in that game.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
OP: you haven't been here long. You should be aware that many people will try to tell you how you should play your character, as though a wrong way is even possible.

Feel free to ignore them. I would go so far as to recommend ignoring them.

Al2O3

Explorer
The option that is good for dual wielding and still get away from the target is the Swashbuckler subclass from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It even has a sidebar about how to get the most out of two weapon fighting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

The option that is good for dual wielding and still get away from the target is the Swashbuckler subclass from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It even has a sidebar about how to get the most out of two weapon fighting.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

One nice thing about the Swashbuckler is that you don't have to use your Bonus Action to Disengage in most situations, therefore staying mobile in the fight without invoking Attacks of Opportunity.

CapnZapp

Legend
OP: you haven't been here long. You should be aware that many people will try to tell you how you should play your character, as though a wrong way is even possible.

Feel free to ignore them. I would go so far as to recommend ignoring them.
Please tell us how you go about seeking advice if you then ignore the advice you get?

Oofta

Legend
As others have said, if you want to dash in and out of combat while using two-weapon fighting consider the Swashbuckler since they can get in and out of combat without provoking with no bonus action.

If you want to be flexible, see if your DM will let you throw two daggers using two-weapon fighting rules. Some (like mine) will allow it because the rules only state that you have to be taking the attack action and they must be melee weapons. It does not specify that it has to be a melee attack.

If you do that, you may need to pick up the Dual Wielder feat because you'll need to draw two daggers the second round (according to a strict reading of the rules you could only draw one). It also gives you the benefit of dual rapiers, which won't make a huge difference to your damage output but would look awesome.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Please tell us how you go about seeking advice if you then ignore the advice you get?

The OP didn't ask for advice. They asked how the rules work. Responding with "you shouldn't do this" is telling them how you, personally, feel a character should be played, not answering their question.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Thx that is the info that i need to know.
Now for me is clear that:
I can use two light melee weapons ->attack mainhand + mod and bonus action for attack off hand with no mod///

Thx for patience

Best regards
keule
No worries, mate. Happy to help.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I love everything about Two-Weapon Fighting rogues except that it directly compete with Cunning Action & other bonus actions.

Yan
D&D Playtester

Remove ads