DUNE Movie: Thoughts, Opinions, and Impressions

GreyLord

Legend
Also, small niggly world building things bothered me. e.g. When Gurney asks Paul how many troops he has and Paul says "200" I had a real moment of disconnect. That the whole Fremen/Harkonnen war took place in less than 9 months made it feel cramped and small. Oh and the Emperor telling Paul that he killed Leto because Leto was weak. In the book he killed Leto because Leto was a threat. Doing it because "Leto was weak" is just some bog standard hack writer garbage.

Overall, colour me disappointed. I really enjoyed part 1 and was looking forward to this one a lot.

So, Dune in part is based on things from the Middle East (spice basically being a metaphor for oil at the time) and in that light, there is the story of Lawrence of Arabia. Although he had armies to use, there were times he had a force of less than 200 with which he did a whole bunch of warfare against the Ottomans. In fact, much of what we know of Special Forces today (where a small group tactically utilized can be a massive force multiplier) started with how he utilized a small force to stop a large empire.

GreyLord

Legend
When does this come to streaming services?

March 23, 2024

[Actually, I have no idea. It was teased it would come out to streaming in Spring of 2024, and so I am joking that it will come out right after spring begins...but really...I do not know. I was joking how quickly some have put their movies on streaming recently. I didn't go watch "Wish" in the theater because I simply reasoned it would be on Disney+ streaming pretty soon anyways...so why pay for it??? Many feel streaming hurt the profits of the last one so putting it to streaming too quickly probably isn't that great of an idea if they want more money.]

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
March 23, 2024

[Actually, I have no idea. It was teased it would come out to streaming in Spring of 2024, and so I am joking that it will come out right after spring begins...but really...I do not know. I was joking how quickly some have put their movies on streaming recently. I didn't go watch "Wish" in the theater because I simply reasoned it would be on Disney+ streaming pretty soon anyways...so why pay for it??? Many feel streaming hurt the profits of the last one so putting it to streaming too quickly probably isn't that great of an idea if they want more money.]
Damn! I may have to catch a matinee. But my wife only likes the really nice screens with big recliners etc. where I am less picky!

Well we already planned to rewatch the first one so first things first

pukunui

Legend
I rewatched the first one last week. Thought it was even more of a boring slog than the first time.

Went to see the second one yesterday. I enjoyed it much more.

I liked the lasers and the sandworms. I thought the Harkonnens were suitably disturbing (and I loved how their black sun made everything outside black and white). The Fremens' methods of harvesting water from dead bodies was suitably discomfiting but also completely reasonable. Gurney got to play a song! Zendaya got to frown a lot.

When Paul rode the sandworm, my daughter leaned over and said it felt like she was riding the worm. That was cool.

I'd say the one thing that disappointed me was missing out on little Alia creeping everyone out at the end. I was looking forward to that. Oh well.

I also felt like they tried but didn't really succeed in resolving the white savior issue they set up in the first movie by having Paul be a white guy and all the Fremen be people of color. (I realize this is an issue in the book as well but it is less pronounced due to the written medium.)

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I rewatched the first one last week. Thought it was even more of a boring slog than the first time.

Went to see the second one yesterday. I enjoyed it much more.

I liked the lasers and the sandworms. I thought the Harkonnens were suitably disturbing (and I loved how their black sun made everything outside black and white). The Fremens' methods of harvesting water from dead bodies was suitably discomfiting but also completely reasonable. Gurney got to play a song! Zendaya got to frown a lot.

When Paul rode the sandworm, my daughter leaned over and said it felt like she was riding the worm. That was cool.

I'd say the one thing that disappointed me was missing out on little Alia creeping everyone out at the end. I was looking forward to that. Oh well.

I also felt like they tried but didn't really succeed in resolving the white savior issue they set up in the first movie by having Paul be a white guy and all the Fremen be people of color. (I realize this is an issue in the book as well but it is less pronounced due to the written medium.)

I'm not sure by what you mean by resolve the white savior issue. Paul is meant to be a prototypical white savior and it's supposed to make us uncomfortable. Do you mean they did not address it on screen enough or cast him in too heroic a light?

pukunui

Legend
I'm not sure by what you mean by resolve the white savior issue. Paul is meant to be a prototypical white savior and it's supposed to make us uncomfortable. Do you mean they did not address it on screen enough or cast him in too heroic a light?
The former. Yeah, they made it so some of the Fremen didn't like him and didn't believe he was their messiah ... but they mostly just teased him about it. No one really confronted him. Chani mostly just frowned at him and then left without saying why.

Perhaps they're saving it for the next movie.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The former. Yeah, they made it so some of the Fremen didn't like him and didn't believe he was their messiah ... but they mostly just teased him about it. No one really confronted him. Chani mostly just frowned at him and then left without saying why.

Perhaps they're saving it for the next movie.

Yeah. I would have definitely liked to see it addressed more. I would have at least liked to see a "Come on, you must know he's using you come from one of the Harkonens or the Emperor in that final confrontation."

pukunui

Legend
Yeah. I would have definitely liked to see it addressed more. I would have at least liked to see a "Come on, you must know he's using you come from one of the Harkonens or the Emperor in that final confrontation."
Yeah, but all we got was a scene where he says he doesn't want to be their messiah only for some voices in his head to tell him he has to do it.

Remove ads