Dungeon Adventure Path series in Greyhawk?

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm ambivalent about the issue. While I'd probably prefer "generic", I wouldn't be upset about it being in Greyhawk, since (as another poster noted) Greyhawk is about as "generic" as you can get (and to be honest, I've found the Greyhawk-specifc adventures to be more easily adaptable than some of the way-out-there "generic" adventures in Dungeon Mag). In any case, as long as the adventure can easily have the Greyhawk taken out of it, it's fine with me.

cybergaston

First Post
I would definitely buy all the Dungeon magazines featuring an adventure path focused on The Forgotten Realms. Even more so, if it's in the Silver Marshes.

I'm not a fan of Greyhawk and never will be. Please get over this setting and let it die of it's own peaceful death. I didn't understand why Wizard (and I still don't) took Greyhawk as it's core setting when the majority of it's book line and D&D products are set in the most popular and best setting ever. :D

Even with all those products, FR doesn't have a proper adventure line. I think it's due time and there's no doubt in my mind that it would sell out pretty fast.

So Dungeon, what are you waiting for ?

cybergaston

First Post
Forgotten Realms World Wide Tour !!!!!!!!!!

Celtavian said:
I'd like to get a real feel for traveling around the Realms adventuring.

That would be so cool, travelling all over the Realms !!

The first adventure could be in Waterdeep, then the Silver Marshes, The Underdark, Anauroch, The Dales, Cormyr (Sembia) and the last one could be in Zhentil Keep or Thay where you wipe out the evil forces behind the adventure path once and for all. Each adventure could stand in it's own so everyone could take the adventure that's not far from there own game and insert it easily. In each one, the player could be put against a villain that works for the bigger one. Each time taking a step (and experience) towards defeating the BIG BAD ASS. ;)

Why not make the villain a Red Wizard with it's claws all over the Realms and defeating small Enclave or something like that.
OR
A madman who is wreaking havoc by building portals that links different people together. Small wars would errupt everywhere. Just imagine a BIG portal between Cormyr and The Horde or Zhentil Keep and Waterdeep or The Shadow City and Shadowdale. Players woul have to find a way to destroy those portal and find the person behind this chaos.
OR
Make the player a part of a feud between the Harper and The Zentarim that will bring them to many places. Each scenario would be a mission that the player could accomplish for the Harper. With later scenario having the player dangles with harper politics decision that affect the course of the story.

It would literaly be a tour of the realms so new player of the setting could have a quick but thorough grasp of the world and old ones an opportunity to visit a place they never went before.

What do you think ? Wouldn't that be great ?

cybergaston

First Post
Forgotten Realms World Wide Tour !!!!!!!!!!

Celtavian said:
I'd like to get a real feel for traveling around the Realms adventuring.

That would be so cool, travelling all over the Realms !!

The first adventure could be in Waterdeep, then the Silver Marshes, The Underdark, Anauroch, The Dales, Cormyr (Sembia) and the last one could be in Zhentil Keep or Thay where you wipe out the evil forces behind the adventure path once and for all. Each adventure could stand in it's own so everyone could take the adventure that's not far from there own game and insert it easily. In each one, the player could be put against a villain that works for the bigger one. Each time taking a step (and experience) towards defeating the BIG BAD ASS. ;)

Why not make the villain a Red Wizard with it's claws all over the Realms and defeating small Enclave or something like that.
OR
A madman who is wreaking havoc by building portals that links different people together. Small wars would errupt everywhere. Just imagine a BIG portal between Cormyr and The Horde or Zhentil Keep and Waterdeep or The Shadow City and Shadowdale. Players woul have to find a way to destroy those portal and find the person behind this chaos.
OR
Make the player a part of a feud between the Harper and The Zentarim that will bring them to many places. Each scenario would be a mission that the player could accomplish for the Harper. With later scenario having the player dangles with harper politics decision that affect the course of the story.

It would literaly be a tour of the realms so new player of the setting could have a quick but thorough grasp of the world and old ones an opportunity to visit a place they never went before.

What do you think ? Wouldn't that be great ?

mtbdm

First Post
I'm for Generic

As long as the adventure is reasonably adaptable, any world is fine. I prefer generic, but the sidebar idea is also good. Just don't hinge the plot on very world-specific details like the dogma of esoteric religions or famous NPCs. And for the love of god, please no small villages set in a temperate woodland full of menacing humanoids!! I have dozens of modules like that. A city based adventure would be preferable--but one that is adaptable to almost any fantasy city would be best (i.e. not sitting atop a volcano deep in the jungle somewhere).
MtbDM

Graf

Explorer
Lots of good sentiments on the thread there are three things come to mind:

Newness: The current adventure path is a success because it adds new and cool stuff to the pantheon of D&D ideas. Setting it in a specific setting is fine but if you're going to put it somewhere put it somewhere relatively undeveloped.
(from a business standpoint I think this makes sense too)

Quality. Kind of goes without saying.

Effect on sales of basing a new AP in the core continuity. Will putting the world in Greyhawk help more than hurt sales?
I think the answer is yes. Especially if you work to develop the world further.

Given that there is pent up demand for Greyhawk you should probably do a GH adventure path. Maybe tie it in with the Bright Desert Series? Dealing with Rary's plans might be fun. (I'm contradicting number one a bit here...)
However that puts Paizo in a delicate position: People want a setting to be easily transferable or usable. Anything that refers to or uses Greyhawk material has the potential to irritate people who don't have access to the published material or else who have some kind of ideological slant against the world.
A web supplement which talks about transferring to other settings would probably be a very good way to mollify those people. I wouldn't waste space on it in the module itself though.

Personally I have to admit that a greyhawk adventure could be very good. One where the party travels from location to location interacting with different countries and people might also be a lot of fun.

Borc

First Post
AP: The Shackled City

I am currently running the adventure path for my group and personally i love it a lot. i am running it in FR and have definately had a hard time transfering the gods from GH to FR. that is really my only complaint. I think the sidebar would be a godsend and make things so easy for anyone else that would be interested in converting the adventure into FR. personally as long as there is a conversion web enhancement or sidebar i could care less which setting it is based in. but i do think it would help a lot.

I suppose my only other complaint could be that the issues with the adventure path do not come out frequently enough ;) but thats because it is such a good product ;) so kudos to you guys designing it all.

Borc

"May all those who seek me find my blade before my stomach."

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I vote for either a Greyhawk adventure path or a Forgotten Realms adventure path. Both settings are pretty generic, and would be easier to adapt to a homebrew campaign than say a city in a volcano.

-7th

NeuroZombie

Explorer
i am running it in FR and have definately had a hard time transfering the gods from GH to FR.
pg 9 of the FRCS has a god to god conversion chart. I was thinking that the god thing would be a major problem as well, thats why I had decided to just use greyhawk for the path. I glanced thru the FRCS and found the chart and was so excited, as I like the Realms better than Greyhawk.

Remove ads