Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (DCC RPG) anyone?

scourger

Explorer
Can anyone share insights into the Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (DCC RPG)?

My group has taken it up while I have been away for a couple of months. I read about it, but my hesitation is that the way my group plays D&D is more toward tactics & strategy (which I enjoy less) and away from power gaming & storytelling (which I enjoy more). The result is that I usually become dissatisfied and wind up unhappy or leaving the group for a while anyway. I'm trying to figure out if DCC RPG is worth a shot. Any shared experience is appreciated.

IronWolf

blank
I've been running DCC RPG over Google+ Hangouts for a couple of months now. I find it to be a fun and refreshing game. It sounds like you would be joining partway through, so you will have likely missed the 0-level funnel which is the deadly part of the game. Not to say the leveled play isn't dangerous, there is just more of a chance to survive.

We play gridless pretty much, so there is not a lot of square-by-square tactical play. Now that isn't to say that the group doesn't us some really creative ideas to tackle certain obstacles or combats.

Magic is dangerous. Each spell has a random table and a caster makes a spell check to see if they can cast a spell and determine how effective the spell is. Low rolls lose the spell, the better you roll the more powerful the spell when it is cast.

To me, DCC RPG is definitely worth the shot. We've been having a great time with it. You might also find the character class analysis I did here worth reading.

Treebore

First Post
Getting ready to play in a 3 week try out of this game myself. On line, using Roll 20. We have room if anyone is interested. It will be on Saturday evenings. We hope to start first Saturday in October. We do not intend to go beyond 4 sessions.

IronWolf

blank
Getting ready to play in a 3 week try out of this game myself. On line, using Roll 20. We have room if anyone is interested. It will be on Saturday evenings. We hope to start first Saturday in October. We do not intend to go beyond 4 sessions.

Cool - I've been running over Roll20 as well. Have fun!

Treebore

First Post
Cool - I've been running over Roll20 as well. Have fun!

Yeah, I have switched my online Castles and Crusades and Aces and Eights games over to Roll 20 over a month ago. For a Beta, and only out of Beta for a week, system, its already pretty good. Looking forward to a number of improvements, though. Mainly giving players more control of their tokens, kind of irritating that I pretty much have to do everything for them right now, to get it set up. As you know, after that they can move it around, change the HP, etc... just fine.

Sir Robilar

First Post
After giving it a shake recently with a funnel (Sailors on the Starless Sea), we're now switching our regular campaign over to DCC in the coming weeks. Ridiculously fun system, great flair and rules that cater directly to my tastes. I have even become a devoted collector of the adventures and can't wait to play them.

Stormonu

Legend
I've been contemplating getting this game. How hard is it to implement the spell rolls? Do you always need the book open to consult the spell charts? How much does the DM need to be involved in resolving the casting of a spell?

Are there paladins, rangers, druids and whatnot in the game? How well does it mesh with using 1E/2E/3E/DCC/BECM modules?

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
I've been contemplating getting this game. How hard is it to implement the spell rolls? Do you always need the book open to consult the spell charts? How much does the DM need to be involved in resolving the casting of a spell?

Assuming that the player has at least a copy of the spell available, spell rolling isn't a big issue. And as your players probably won't command a huge library of spells, paper copies of these pages aren't a bg issue.

A normal spell roll features GM interaction when the result is higher than expected. "Wow, a 31! I can affect something up to 110 miles away. Say, where is my old nemesis?"

Mishaps are more complicated, but shouldn't happen all to often.

Are there paladins, rangers, druids and whatnot in the game?

No! It's back to the basics, without such unnecessary, fancy stuff! ;) Eld, Dwarf, and Halfling are classes, of course.

How well does it mesh with using 1E/2E/3E/DCC/BECM modules?

I honestly can't tell you that. As DCC promotes a gaming style of wide-eyed wonder, encountering creatures, effects and stuff the players haven't encountered before, using old stuff might be difficult. At least expect to heavily re-work monsters and magic items. Exploring ten rooms with the same sort of goblins in a dungeon takes away from this. Smaller dungeons with less repition (a la Keep of the Borderlands) would mesh better than large ones.

Remove ads