• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DUNGEON Magazine Monster Index!

Garnfellow

Explorer
I've been thumbing through issue 70 in preparation of doing a conversion of Kingdom of the Ghouls, and there might be a couple of new monsters not in the index. In the cloaker city (p. 63) there is a descption of floaters -- "flying balloon creatures . . . enormous floating gas-beings rangng from 20 to 100 yards long, and up to 20 yards in diameter [!]". There is a stat block, but no monster entry (and as far as I can tell, no description of its "explode" special ability.

The Great Crypt of the Ghouls (p. 67) is described as haunted by "outcast lesser ghouls, a swarm of whispering moths, a small pack of gargoyles, and colonies of death mold."

What the heck is death mold?

Were either of these two monsters ever described further? (Like, say, in a letter to the editor.)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
death mold, i don't know. for some reason, the floater does sound familiar... can't place it for the life of me though.

maybe it's a dead goldfish? ;)

Garnfellow

Explorer
Is there an index somewhere of monsters from those Monstrous Compendium annuals? I never picked up any of them, but it sounds like there were some good monsters there -- mostly from Dragon Magazine, I guess.

dhaga

First Post
I remember the floater from 2nd Ed. IIRC, it's really a gas spore. Looks like a beholder at long range. Any damage dealt causes it to explode. I have it in one of my 2nd Ed compendiums...hell if I can remember which, though.

Though the gas spores were much smaller (standard beholder-sized) than what is described above, maybe they're related? It would tie in as another mold-based creature to go with the death mold.

Remove ads