D&D 5E Dungeon Procedures in 5E

Reynard

Legend
I started a Rappan Athuk campaign last night, beginning at first level. I am aiming to run it was as "old school" a feel as possible, including XP for gold* and the use of dungeon exploration procedures.

Becuase 5E doesn't have much in the way of dungeon procedures, i am adapting the ones from earlier versions. I decided not to use full turns for movement and exploration in 5E, based on the length of actions as described in the rules and how that interacts with things like spell duration, so i have decided that the minute is the basic unit of time in the dungeon. Except the combat round, everything the PCs do will take a minimum of 1 minute in the dungeon: moving down the hallway, examining a door, etc. This allows me to keep accurate time records, which is hugely important in dungeon exploration.

Short rests still take an hour, and the PCs can't long rest in the dungeon at all unless they take pains to secure their location somehow.

What dungeon procedures do you sue for 5E? Do you adapt earlier editions, use ones you made up or steal from non D&D games?

*I have not decided yet what precisely that means in regards to non coin treasure. ie do they have to sell a piece of art in order to get it, or what.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've been curious about exploration mode from PF2. Though, almost nobody uses it. I think in theory all players declare actions and those actions happen and then whatever comes from them is played out. Like, one person being a look out, one person searching for traps etc... Might be worth looking at for ideas to snatch for your game.

Reynard

Legend
I've been curious about exploration mode from PF2. Though, almost nobody uses it. I think in theory all players declare actions and those actions happen and then whatever comes from them is played out. Like, one person being a look out, one person searching for traps etc... Might be worth looking at for ideas to snatch for your game.
I have only played PF2 once and I remember us really liking the action economy in the combat but feeling the exploration mode stuff was way over systematized. I should look at those procedures again in light of wanting to do an old school crawl and see if there is any there there. thanks.

I started a Rappan Athuk campaign last night, beginning at first level. I am aiming to run it was as "old school" a feel as possible, including XP for gold* and the use of dungeon exploration procedures.

Becuase 5E doesn't have much in the way of dungeon procedures, i am adapting the ones from earlier versions. I decided not to use full turns for movement and exploration in 5E, based on the length of actions as described in the rules and how that interacts with things like spell duration, so i have decided that the minute is the basic unit of time in the dungeon. Except the combat round, everything the PCs do will take a minimum of 1 minute in the dungeon: moving down the hallway, examining a door, etc. This allows me to keep accurate time records, which is hugely important in dungeon exploration.

Short rests still take an hour, and the PCs can't long rest in the dungeon at all unless they take pains to secure their location somehow.

What dungeon procedures do you sue for 5E? Do you adapt earlier editions, use ones you made up or steal from non D&D games?

*I have not decided yet what precisely that means in regards to non coin treasure. ie do they have to sell a piece of art in order to get it, or what.
Check out the Dungeon DM's Screen. It actually has fairly complete dungeon turns and rules and procedures on it for 5E.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
A poster went through the books and found all the scattered rules for dungeon turns and wilderness exploration if you’re interested.

Reynard

Legend
A poster went through the books and found all the scattered rules for dungeon turns and wilderness exploration if you’re interested.

Cool! Thanks.

Reynard

Legend
Here are the dungeon procedures from the collected thread @overgeeked linked
So i realized that apparently the Dungeon Turn rules from the old playtest of 5E were still kinda in the game, but scattered, so I'm going to try to piece them together back to kinda what they were. Help me fill out the holes.

Movement and Actions.

"In a dungeon environment, the adventurers' movement happens on a scale of minutes.It takes them about a minute to creep down a long hallway, another minute to check for traps on the door at the end of the hall, and a good ten minutes to search the chamber beyond for anything interesting or valuable." PHB 181.

"Travel Speed in Dungeon.(Per Minute.)

Fast.
400 feet (-5 penalty to passive Wisdom (Perception) scores)

Normal. 300 feet

Slow. 200 feet (Able to use stealth)" PHB 181

Using A Map DMG p242 (Dungeon Map Scale)
Whatever environment the adventurers are exploring, you can use a map to follow their progress as you relate the details of their travels. In a dungeon, tracking movement on a map lets you describe the branching passages, doors, chambers, and other features the adventurers encounter as they go, and gives the players the opportunity to choose their own path

Map Travel Pace. Dungeon (1 sq. = 10 ft.) DMG p242.
Slow Pace. 20 sq./min.
Normal Pace 30 sq./min.
Fast Pace 40 sq./min.

[Random Encounters]

"You decide when a random encounter happens, or you roll. Consider checking for a random encounter once every hour, once every 4 to 8 hours, or once during the day and once during a long rest-whatever makes the most sense based on how active the area is.

If you roll, do so with a d20. If the result is 18 or higher, a random encounter occurs. You then roll on an appropriate random encounter table to determine what the adventurers meet, re-rolling if the die result doesn't make sense given the circumstances." DMG p86. Assuming the lowest scale for a dungeon, so a check every hour."

[Exploration activities]

" As adventurers travel through a dungeon or the wilderness, they need to remain alert for danger, and some characters might perform other tasks to help the group's journey. " PHB 182.

Listed activities.(Full details of how to do the actions are in the rulebook, just noting them all down.)

Stealth PHB p182. While traveling at a slow pace, the characters can move stealthily using Stealth Checks.

Noticing Threats PHB p182.

"Characters who turn their attention to other tasks as the group travels are not focused on watching for danger.

These characters don't contribute their passive Wisdom (Perception) scores to the group's chance of noticing hidden threats. However, a character not watching for danger can do one of the following activities instead, or some other activity with the DM's permission."

Navigate. PHB p183

Draw a Map. PHB p183

Track. PHB p183

Forage. PHB p183

On top of this another set of implied activities are in the PHB, which are checking for traps, and searching chambers.

Checking for Traps. PHB p181

Searching Room. PHB p181

All of these actions take one minute of time, except searching a room, which takes ten minutes.

When you look at all the core rules of the game and piece it together you get this basic procedure that is essential "The Dungeon Turn", with every turn taking one minute, and every round generally taking about a minute as well,(10 minutes if they are searching a room), with the exception of searching rooms, which takes 10 minutes. The general procedure seems to be a similar but streamlined version of Old DnD.

The Dungeon Turn as explained by 5e rules

1. Set travel pace, and activities for the turn. The party decides what action to take (e.g. moving, searching, listening, entering rooms).
  2. Progress and description. The players make progress on the map, time moves forward, and the DM descriptions what actions are taken and what happens next.
  3. Encounters. After an hour has passed the DM checks for random encounters, DM determines the distance, and If monsters are encountered, resolve any interaction or combat that occurs between the creatures and the characters.
  4. End of turn. After performing all these steps, go back to the first step and repeat the sequence.
RAW, this is generally the procedure 5e seems to expect you to explore dungeons with, and they are in the game, except scattered around the book, and this is me compiling them and making a structure. What are your thoughts on this? Are they even good? Does it accomplish its goal of trying to be like the Dungeon Turn of old B/X?

I've used it while running a dungeon crawl, and it mostly works well, a good way of keeping track of time, and adds a bit of tension, though the amount of movement per minute is far too high, feels like it should be halved, and the encounter rate should be a bit higher, 25% chance(so encounter on a roll of 16 or higher.)
One quibble I have is with the travel speeds while mapping seems to contradict the rest -- it is too fast.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Here's something I wrote up, chiefly for explaining to players new to a focus on exploration how things work. It's based on 10-minute increments which I feel fits better in the game. In this particular game, I have random encounters checks every 2 hours, often I'll change that to 10 minutes or an hour in other adventure locations. I also separated keeping watch for monsters and staying alert for traps, which in some games I lump together into on ongoing task.

Moving Around
As you travel about the dungeon, you can choose to engage in an ongoing task. You cease to engage in this task when you stop to explore a given area more thoroughly. Common travel tasks include, but are not limited to the below. The associated passive check is provided, if there is a check at all.
  • Keep watch for lurking monsters (passive Perception)
  • Stay alert for signs of traps (passive Investigation or Perception)
  • Search for secret doors (passive Perception)
  • Draw a map (proficiency with cartographer's tools)
To have a chance to notice lurking monsters or signs of traps at the front of the party, you must be in the front rank of the marching order.

To draw a map, you must have both hands free and the appropriate tools. A map of an entire floor of the dungeon can be used to deduce the location of secret doors and chambers. There is no associated check to draw a map.

If you engage in any task other than keeping watch for lurking monsters, you are automatically surprised if a lurking monster is trying to sneak up on you.

Thorough Exploration
When you decide to stop traveling and explore a given area, the exploration phase begins. An area of 1000 square feet or smaller can be explored in 10 minutes by one person.

After the DM describes the environment, take turns describing what you want to do for the next 10 minutes. Common tasks and associated skills include, but are not limited to the below. An ability check is not required to resolve every task.
  • Check for Traps (Investigation or Perception)
  • Figure Out a Trap* (Investigation)
  • Disable a Trap* **(Thieves' Tools)
  • Keep Watch (Perception)
  • Forage (Survival)
  • Loot (Perception)
  • Perform a Ritual
  • Pick a Lock** (Thieves' Tools)
  • Search for Clues (Investigation)
  • Search for Secret Doors (Perception)
  • Figure Out a Secret Door* (Investigation)
  • Track (Survival)

Working Together. Instead of performing a task by yourself, you can work together with someone else. By working together, you grant advantage to the character leading the effort. You can only provide help if the task is one that you could attempt alone and when working together would actually be productive.

* The task preceding this task must be successfully completed before you can undertake this task.

** A character with Fast Hands can perform this task as well as another task of their choosing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases