Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures! WOW!!!

arbados

Explorer
I have to say that I was skeptical about the minis when I saw them on the WoTC site. I thought they looked ok, but really doubted that that they would be quality enough to purchase continually.

Opinions change!!! I have bought 1 starter pack and 9 boosters since Thursday and am COMPLETELY satisfied by both the look and paint jobs!

The randomization of the packs may be a sale oriented pitch, however, after buying my first 3 boosters I felt like a kid getting an unknown christmas gift. I rushed home to open up the box to see what surprise I had in store.

It was exciting. It reminded me when I collected baseball cards when I was a kid and would open the pack and shuffle through the cards to see if I had gotten one of my favorite players (and chomp on the piece of gum)!!

This keeps me coming back for more. This is what fueled the Magic trading card game and I think will fuel the miniature product. I have 9 rares and tomorrow I am going to get a couple more boosters in hopes of getting some that I don't have (or even the ones I do have...the ogre, dire boar, wraith, displacer beast shambling mound are awesome).

I am going to use these figures in my routine D & D game and doubt I will ever play the skirmish game, but think that this product works for both. For me getting 7 orcs is great. How often do you battle 1 lonely orc. 5 skeletons, 5 zombies, 4 kuo toa is great.

I was going to start trading, but don't feel I can just yet due to the fact that I want quantity of many of the miniatures to use in the game.

I am completely pleased with the product and hope that they continue and don't cancel like chainmail. The trading is also great. A secondary market for the product helps drive the sale of the product because people feel that even if they get miniatures they dont want there is an outlet that they can exchange them.

I must say that the paint jobs are great for what the miniatures cost. A little over a $1 per mini is very enticing. No time spent painting is another HUGE bonus!! I play with counters right now and they are fine, however, there is a big diffrence in my players faces when I plop down 6 skeleton minis which they can see in 3D!! It has a much different feel.

Since purchasing my first set I have not been this excited in purchasing anything game related in years. This has brought a great feel for me and I hope many of you out there feel the same. Hey who knows maybe I will crack open the MHB and try a few skirmishes with a friend!!!

Anyone else have an opinion?

Dire Wolf

First Post
I also think the miniatures are cool. I like the idea of being able to have many of the monsters from the Monster Manual available. I also like the skirmish game a lot. I demoed it at Gencon and have been waiting for the game ever since.
I however disagree with the paint jobs. I find the paint jobs lacking and I am pretty dissapointed. I plan on trying to touch up many of the miniatures if that is possible. I am not sure how to go about not repainting the whole mini though.
I hope I can find a few people in my area to trade with as I would like to unload the PC types in exchange for monsters. I have more than enough humanoid PC types in my pewter minis and would like more monsters.
All in all though I am very happy with the product as I now have a way to get affordable minis to represent the actual monsters in the books that I don't have to paint and a cool skirmish game to boot.

Dark Jezter

First Post
I've been looking forward to the minis game for a while, and I plan on buying a starter pack and a few boosters once I have a little more spending money. The Miniatures Handbook looks like it could be a cool investment as well.

John Crichton

First Post
I am completely addicted to these things. I can't wait for the future expansions. My players have enjoyed having the miniatures there in combat (I used many, many orcs) rather than the markers I typically use. The skirmish game is surprisingly fun from what I could tell of my one 4-person match. I also like the collectable aspect, but I know that's not a big deal for most.

Christian

Explorer
arbados said:
It was exciting. It reminded me when I collected baseball cards when I was a kid and would open the pack and shuffle through the cards to see if I had gotten one of my favorite players (and chomp on the piece of gum)!!

THAT'S IT!!! WOTC needs to include a piece of gum in every package! Then I'd buy them for sure!

d4

First Post
arbados said:
Opinions change!!! I have bought 1 starter pack and 9 boosters since Thursday and am COMPLETELY satisfied by both the look and paint jobs!
there've been a few stinkers so far (the Axe Sister most notably), but i'm quite pleased with the paint jobs so far. all of the orcs i've gotten so far have been very well done IMO.

The randomization of the packs may be a sale oriented pitch, however, after buying my first 3 boosters I felt like a kid getting an unknown christmas gift. I rushed home to open up the box to see what surprise I had in store.
i don't even wait until i get home -- i open them up out in the car in the parking lot! :D

this is exactly one of the reasons why Mage Knight and the other collectible minis games sell so well.

I must say that the paint jobs are great for what the miniatures cost. A little over a $1 per mini is very enticing. No time spent painting is another HUGE bonus!!
yep, i think they're almost too good to pass up if you use minis at all in your D&D game. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
arbados said:
The randomization of the packs may be a sale oriented pitch, however, after buying my first 3 boosters I felt like a kid getting an unknown christmas gift.

Which is, of course, exactly what they want. It is not, however, what I want. I have no interest in blowing lots of money on minis that I'm not going to use. I suppose the packaging serves the purposes of a minis-game. It does a poor job of serving the needs of RPGs.

Umbran said:
Which is, of course, exactly what they want. It is not, however, what I want. I have no interest in blowing lots of money on minis that I'm not going to use. I suppose the packaging serves the purposes of a minis-game. It does a poor job of serving the needs of RPGs.
So go to ebay, and buy just the figure you want. I myself, only use the miniature for RPG, I have warhammer for my miniature game needs, and i have bought 3 starter boxes, and my wife has ordered a couple of the booster packs. As the DM of our group I like the figures, now I actually have figure for many of th monsters from the manuals instead of saying see this figure here is really a displacer beast, now when the part fights a displacer beast, I have a miniature for it.
Ken

John Crichton

First Post
Christian said:
THAT'S IT!!! WOTC needs to include a piece of gum in every package! Then I'd buy them for sure!
* chew chew *

Wait a sec... You mean this index sized piece of paper I've been muching on with typewritten text ISN'T gum?

Uh oh...

Remove ads