• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures! WOW!!!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
John Crichton said:
* chew chew *

Wait a sec... You mean this index sized piece of paper I've been muching on with typewritten text ISN'T gum?

Uh oh...
That explains why the gum tastes better than usual.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
I've been enjoying the minis too. At first I was skeptical about the randomization, but it is indeed kind of fun to open them up not knowing what you'll get. And, since I'll use all of the figures eventually anyway, I don't have to worry about paying for minis that I won't use. Good job by WOTC choosing useful figures.

My favorite common so far: Kuo-Toa. I just love the look of those crazy pot-bellied gogglers, and so does my group.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I bought 2 Starters and 2 Expansions and I love them all.
For me they are the perfect thing for my D&D games.
I demo'd the game at GenCon and I like the mini game also.
I know some don't like the paint jobs but it's is better than I can do and I don't have to do it. :D
I got a box of monsters of the Chainmail for Xmas when they first came out and finally this summer got them out and tried to paint them. I finished all the black on one when a person in my group who does do mini's said "you forgot to prime them" :rolleyes: Oh well, now they can just stay in their box for all I care.
And as for the collecting part of the mini's I like it so far. If I have 100 wolves before I get all of set though I might change my mind. I did get 3 in my initial purchase.

BTW - I really like the Kuo-Toa also :p

JeffB

Legend
Umbran said:
Which is, of course, exactly what they want. It is not, however, what I want. I have no interest in blowing lots of money on minis that I'm not going to use. I suppose the packaging serves the purposes of a minis-game. It does a poor job of serving the needs of RPGs.

Exactly my thoughts...

though the minis do look pretty good....I almost caved :D

John Crichton

First Post
Just got back from Walmart with a new plastic tackle box. Got all my miniatures in there. Cost me $10. Sweet. SO much easier to organize these things this way. And just to think I almost bought a custom miniatures carrying case for like $30.

AeroDm

First Post
So I hoped on over to E-Bay to see what the miniature market looked like. I was happy to see that a lot of the miniatures were already up for sale, which means people are buying them.

The problem is that most are like a buck or two, and then a few bucks shipping. Who is going to pay $3-5 for a mini when a pack of 16 is $20? Am I missing something? or does this aftermarket deal suck?

Omand

Hero
I'll chime in as someone else who is enjoying the minis so far.

Yes, the random aspect is not the greatest (I have far too many Barghests for example), but I have never collected minis before, and this product serves my needs.

Hopefully the secondary market will settle down in a bit, as the prices are high at the moment.

Cheers :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Bear in mind, it's still early in the aftermarket cycle. Demand is high. If it's anything like Mage Knight, prices will go downs.

Also, try to not buy the individual mini, but in "sets" or "collection" or "lot". Or buy several from the same seller, so you can combine shipping.

Anyway, I'm actually impressed with them, though they are much tinier than I thought. I'm not crazy about the skirmish game - seems almost exactly like D&D - not much is simplified.

haiiro

First Post
Christian said:
THAT'S IT!!! WOTC needs to include a piece of gum in every package! Then I'd buy them for sure!

Would there be common, uncommon and rare gum -- perhaps with the crappy flavors being common? ;)

Taelorn76

First Post
I too find myself strangely drawn back to the hobby shop to buy more of the minis. I tell myslf i should stop and wait for the next Dragoneye expansion (due in Nov) :) , but I can't. My only problem is with the random. Mabey WoTC could write on the package what was inside but leave the rare a mystery, yeah I like that idea. hint hint ;)

Remove ads