D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves could change D&D forever

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's another angle too - if HAT succeeds well (and the TV show does), but the 3D VTT Is a miserable failure relative to investment, it's actually possible Disney might buy D&D as a movie/TV IP. They'd probably keep the TTRPG going, but might make some weird changes.

Hasbro's not big on selling successful IP, though. This is saying, "If it makes big money, they may sell it!" which seems kind of backwards.

Hasbro's not big on selling successful IP, though. This is saying, "If it makes big money, they may sell it!" which seems kind of backwards.
That's true, but they are currently attempting to sell eOne, which was successful, albeit WotC strategically retained certain high-value IPs from it (which is probably why it hasn't found a buyer yet).

It is possible, if we remember the impact of Michael Bay's movies of Transformers, or Tim Burton's Batman. Maybe.

Hollywood has been a great showcase for lots of franchises.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think they're both right and wrong.

If D&D:HAT is a good movie, and well-regarded, it will help cement D&D as a "solid IP", not of the Star Wars/MCU or even DCU level, but perhaps approaching the level of more mid-grade IPs, and would certainly help prevent any stigma returning to RPGs.

But honestly I think we're past the point where stigma of any kind can really be an issue for D&D, except possibly the dread "That's fun but it's for old people" or "That was fun when I was a kid". D&D is currently pretty well-positioned to avoid that, given the core audience seems to be about 15-29 buuuuuuut all it would take would be an '80s-like situation where a lot of people just drift away from the game for it to perhaps acquire that stigma. I know loads of 30-40-somethings currently teaching their kids D&D, but will those kids go on to play it as adults, or will they leave it behind as a game for kids? I think that's in the balance, and I don't think D&D:HAT or sequels will actually make much odds to that.

If it's a failure, things do become more uncertain, though because WotC have limited financial exposure there, I don't think that would cause big decisions to be made. I think it would take both a failure of the HAT and of the 3D VTT for big decisions to start getting made. I'd say the 3D VTT is far more likely to fail, too.

What would those big decisions be? Honestly they could go in a lot of different directions. The only commonality is Hasbro/WotC are likely to reduce investment in D&D and D&D-related products. History shows that can be a positive and a negative. My personal suspicion is that both fail, Hasbro will essentially want WotC to basically put D&D into "maintenance mode", which will be kind of good for anyone who likes D&D as it is at that time, but may set in stone issues people aren't fond of, and with the new OGL, may have damaged the ability of 3PPs to help out. It's also quite possible Hasbro would sell off either WotC or just the D&D IP, which could very well or incredibly badly depending on who bought it. Almost certainly it would be a videogame publisher which buy it. History tells us that doesn't go well - c.f. the fate of White Wolf (CCP really wrecked it and Paradox have been more gentle and positive but haven't achieved much).

There's another angle too - if HAT succeeds well (and the TV show does), but the 3D VTT Is a miserable failure relative to investment, it's actually possible Disney might buy D&D as a movie/TV IP. They'd probably keep the TTRPG going, but might make some weird changes.

Personally I'm inclined to hope it does well, because whilst I'm not hugely fond of the IP of D&D as lifestyle brand, I do think it would be better for the hobby, including non-D&D RPGs, if that happens.
Agree with basically everything here. I doubt that Honor Among Thieves will be a truly great movie, but if it is a fun and fairly well received film, it could have a positive impact on the hobby. Of it does well enough to get a sequel, however, it could be the first link in a chain of D&D becoming a pop culture fixture, particularly once filmmakers figure out theybcan throw in basically anything to the D&D stew.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I dunno how much effect movies has on the popularity of RPGs. Otherwise Star Wars and Marvel games would be much bigger than they are.
We really have no other example, however, of an RPG to film. Those were licensed games, that came with the pitfalls of having terms dictated by the non-RPG companies and eventually being pulled. And even so, Star Wars RPGs are often dominant in the RPG sales charts when theybare actively supported.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I expect if JKR doesn't cease her idiocy D&D will eventually pass WWoHP - at this point WB have to be praying she gets eaten by a crocodile or something, because it would literally significantly increase the long-term value of that IP (by allowing new material and for it to be rehabilitated).

I don't think D&D is even at F&F levels yet.
Fast & the Furious is probably a good realistic model for how a D&D franchise can build up, even down to quality of the component films.

Say what you will about the Forgotten Realms, it it is a much better thought through world than the "Wizarding World" which, other issues aside, is pretty lazily conceived and executed.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wick is rated R and likely doesn't have a huge over lap in target audience, bit more over lap with Mario, but Mario skews younger I think, and I think looks to a very different audience.
From my angle, the crossover of interest for Honor among Thieves and Super Mario in my household is a pure circle. My kids are super excited for Mario, but also for Owlbears and Black Dragons.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My point is WB would be happy if she was gone because then they'd be free of that (which is definitely having an impact, c.f. box office of the Fantastic Beasts stuff) and could freely make new stuff (which she interferes heavily with).
Those movies being burning pikles of garbage didn't help the box office, either.
Absolute hard disagree about Mario. 150% disagree. There's a massive audience crossover. This isn't 20 years ago when adults were scared to go to animated movies. Mario is just like D&D's audience + more. Wick definitely has a significant overlap but nowhere near as large (it's like 50% of D&D's potential audience). However, the core audience for D&D right now is teens and 20s, and the overlap there (and with Scream VI if it's actually good) will be the issue.
What, are you suggesting that people who have nostalgia for late 80's media might be interested in another movie filled with nostalgia for late 80's media??? Whoa...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases