• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons of Dread Preview 4

Dungeons of Dread Preview 4 is up, including a brand new monster:

This week, we peek into the 4th Edition Monster Manual. The two creatures below are relatively new to the Dungeons & Dragons universe; one was introduced in the 3rd Edition Monster Manual IV, the other is new to this edition.

Balhannoth

Balhannoth Lurkers need some ability to leap into and out of combat, and the Balhannoth does it in Far Realm style -- it teleports short distances by shifting in and out of reality. After appearing, it attacks with flailing tentacles and slides its enemies around. Usually it is found wild, but adventuring parties may find it working with races that can communicate with it telepathically -- namely, Mind Flayers and Aboleths.

In the skirmish game, the Balhannoth is an unpredictable creature. At the start of its turn, there is a chance that it teleports 10 squares for free. It also has an ability that can possibly shut down an enemy creature's attack -- Warp. When an enemy within 3 squares makes a non-basic attack action, that attack might miss automatically. This ability can be used against only two attacks during the battle, so make sure it counts!

Immolith

Immolith When demons die, their spirits descend into the depths of the abyss. Sometimes this process is interrupted -- such spirits merge and coalesce into an undead demon known as an immolith.

This controller can be found in the Demon section of the 4th Edition Monster Manual. For ranged interference, an Immolith has a slowing curse that is used as a minor action. For closer targets, this creature's melee attacks can pull targets adjacent, and with reach 4, it's likely it will grab someone. Once an enemy is drawn to an adjacent position, it suffers through a constant, fiery aura.

The Immolith brings some of these powers into the skirmish game. The Immolith's aura is handled by causing 15 fire or necrotic damage to enemies that activate adjacent to the Immolith. The pulling grab is contained in the Immolith's basic attack, so it is quite powerful when combined with abilities that grant additional basic attacks.

Next week -- two creatures suitable for late heroic tier encounters.

mi20080221a_balhcd.jpg

mi20080221a_immocd.jpg

Fallen Seraph

First Post
OOO, the Immoleth reminds me of some of the really nasty Spirits from Werewolf: The Forsaken which is a very good thing.

Also YAY for aberrations.

Colmarr

First Post
Lots of stuff to mull over in this preview...

I'm a bit concerned by the recharge mechanic for the Balhannoth's Tentacle Flail ability. Does "if only 1 enemy is within reach" include if 0 enemies are within reach? It seems to be sloppy wording.

As for the Immolith, I can't help but notice that a level 15 fire creature (which appears to be made partially from a pillar of flame) only has Fire Resist 15. That certainly seems to confirm the hints that resistances are going to be lower in 4e than they are in 3e. And did anyone else notice that it is Speed 8 AND Reach 4. Now that is going to be a nightmare.

When I look at both side-by-side though, the thing that jumps out at me is their hp. The level 13 Balhannoth (which is presumably a Skirmisher) has 50 hp. The level 15 Immolith (which seems to be a Controller) has 90 hp. I would have expected the totals to be closer together, if not for the Skirmisher to actually have more hp...

Edit: Looking at the WotC preview rather than the OP text, it is clear that the Balhannoth is a "Lurker" rather than a "Skirmisher".

Lackhand said:
Demon and undead, you say?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Presumably, demons (and by association devils and angels) now have souls/spirits distinct from their corporeal form...

Last edited:

Almacov

First Post
Excellent. =)
I can easily see using these to leave my players' characters with very sweaty, urine soaked chainmail.

Lots of potential, and the right lighting could do wonders with that Immolith mini at the table. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Colmarr said:
And did anyone else notice that it is Speed 8 AND Reach 4. Now that is going to be a nightmare.

That is actually got me thinking of some fun in-game sequences with how a DM would word it, with such reach I imagine (given the way it looks) that it would stretch out and wrap around pillars and debris and encircle the party then strike out. All the while it's head is jittering back and forth and starting at the party.

hong

WotC's bitch
Colmarr said:
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Presumably, demons (and by association devils and angels) now have souls/spirits distinct from their corporeal form...

From Worlds & Monsters, all sentient (non-undead) creatures have a body, animus and soul. Undead creatures can lack one or more of these.

Almacov

First Post
What would really top that Immolith off is a nice sprinkling of Deathburst type action. =)
THAT would make dragging characters in closer scary.
Yep, a tweak here or there and an atmospheric setting and the players have an encounter they feel truly lucky to have survived and never want to dance with again.
Lovely. =)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads