• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons of Dread Preview 4

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Colmarr said:
Lots of stuff to mull over in this preview...

I'm a bit concerned by the recharge mechanic for the Balhannoth's Tentacle Flail ability. Does "if only 1 enemy is within reach" include if 0 enemies are within reach? It seems to be sloppy wording.

No it isn't. It means exactly one enemy, no more, no less. I'm struggling to work out how it implies "0 or 1".

Cheers!

Almacov

First Post
Jack99 said:
I thought immunities were out for 4e? Or is that just the normal game, not the card game?

They may have just meant that immunities to more direct forms of damage, like element-based attacks, will be gone. Immunities to things like poison and disease are probably still in.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
There are no more complete immunities, so a fire elemental won't be completely immune to fire but he would have a fire resistance of say 5, 10, 15, etc.

nem z

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
There are no more complete immunities, so a fire elemental won't be completely immune to fire but he would have a fire resistance of say 5, 10, 15, etc.

This seems very odd to me. Why exactly would a fire elemental be hurt by a fireball no matter how big a blast you can make? Maybe it's too 'videogamey' but I'd expect such a hairbrained plan to actually heal it.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
There is a really and I mean really big debate about this on the official forums:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=982624

My personal view though we are going off-topic is that things even of the same element can be overwhelmed and not able to contain this outward force and are stripped away from whatever keeps it together.

And to bring it back on-topic, may I ask what this "Deathburst" is?

Ktulu

First Post
nem z said:
This seems very odd to me. Why exactly would a fire elemental be hurt by a fireball no matter how big a blast you can make? Maybe it's too 'videogamey' but I'd expect such a hairbrained plan to actually heal it.

The best example of this I can think of is from BASTARD! the anime. A fire efreet is used to attack the hero character, Dark Schneider who was a fire casting wizard. The Efreet laughed at DS's casting of a fire spell saying he was immune to puny mortal fire spells. At which time, DS unleashed his Halloween spell (nasty big fire boom burn spell) and litterally out-burned the efreet.

I see that same thing happening in a D&D game. The player summons a fire archon to deal with the red dragon, figuring it will last a while due to it's resistance to fire, and since it attacks with a sword, can beat on the dragon. The dragon muses, then immolates the fire archon with heat it had never felt before....

Ktulu

Zamkaizer

First Post
nem z said:
If you were to fling yourself at me using a trebuchet, the sickening collision of bone and flesh would likely not, barring Quantum shenanigans, produce a healing effect.

I realize that's a terrible analogy, but the imagery dictated that it had to be posted.

fnwc

Explorer
Jack99 said:
I thought immunities were out for 4e? Or is that just the normal game, not the card game?
I think that these are the miniature cards, but these two particular monsters are from the new 4th edition MM. There are probably a lot of similarities between the stat blocks, but most likely are going to be different.

Peter LaCara

Explorer
Colmarr said:
When I look at both side-by-side though, the thing that jumps out at me is their hp. The level 13 Balhannoth (which is presumably a Skirmisher) has 50 hp. The level 15 Immolith (which seems to be a Controller) has 90 hp. I would have expected the totals to be closer together, if not for the Skirmisher to actually have more hp...
I'd bet even money that the Immolith is an elite, judging from its abilities. That might be where the extra hp is coming from.

Remove ads