• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duskblades and Bloodstone

SnowHeart

First Post
The description of arcane channeling seems pretty clear to me in that a touch spell will affect each and every target you hit during the round in which you cast the spell. So, as to the question in the body of your post, yes, the vampiric touch effect will apply for each successful hit you make with your weapon for that round. However, as to the question implied in the topic-header (i.e., whether it would work with a vampiric touch cast by a bloodstone)... it would probably depend. I might let the duskblade use an already stored vampiric touch spell, but if the spell had been spent, I would not let him cast it into the weapon and then use it in the same round... It's a separate action (it's free, but it's still an action) and arcane channeling says the casting becomes part of the full-round attack action.

Dandu: He's talking about the Duskblade's "arcane channeling" ability (at 13th level you can cast a touch spell as part of a full-round action and still take a full-round attack) and the "bloodstone" weapon property from the MIC, which stores and casts vampiric touch (as a spell storing weapon) and automatically empowers it.

Dark_Juggernaut

First Post
Yes, I was asking if one could arcane channel a full round attack of vampiric touch hits each through a bloodstone weapon to empower all your iterative attacks' vampiric touch hits.

So if the vampiric touch used to arcane channel was already stored in the weapon one could benefit from empower for every swing?

Last edited:

SnowHeart

First Post
I looked for a cite from a book, but this is what I found from the 3.5 FAQ:

Do temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how should I apply damage?
Temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from different sources stack, but you must keep track of them separately.

For example, imagine a character who gained 15 temporary hit points from an aid spell. After taking 8 points of damage, she has 7 temporary hit points left from the spell. If another aid spell were cast on the same character granting 12 temporary hit points, this total would replace the other spell’s total, meaning the character would now have 12 temporary hit points (rather than 19). If the character then cast false life on herself, she would add the full benefit of that spell to the temporary hit points from the aid spell.

This also applies to temporary hit points gained from energy drain and similar special abilities. Each successful attack counts as one application of the effect (meaning that an attack that bestows 2 or more negative levels still counts as only one application of the effect). For example, a wight gains 5 temporary hit points each time it bestows a negative level with its slam attack. If it bestows another negative level while it has 2 temporary hit points remaining from the first attack, the new temporary hit points would replace the old ones.

Temporary hit points are “first-in, first-out.” Damage should be taken off the oldest temporary-hit-point-granting effect first; when that effect is exhausted, apply damage to the next oldest effect. For this reason, you must track each supply of temporary hit points separately.

Dandu

First Post
Temporary Hit Points
Certain effects give a character temporary hit points. When a character gains temporary hit points, note his current hit point total. When the temporary hit points go away the character’s hit points drop to his current hit point total. If the character’s hit points are below his current hit point total at that time, all the temporary hit points have already been lost and the character’s hit point total does not drop further.
When temporary hit points are lost, they cannot be restored as real hit points can be, even by magic.

Remove ads