D&D 5E Eberron: Rising from the Last War Coming For D&D In November

A new D&D campaign setting has appeared on Amazon -- Eberron: Rising from the Last War. It's slated for November 19th, at $49.99.

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 10.28.34.png

Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of floating castles, skyscrapers, and more.

• Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and noirish intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.

• Include a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook.

• Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.

• Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.

• Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars.

There is an alternate cover for game stores:

ECWHqFcU4AAvUYP.jpg

WotC's Jeremy Crawford confirmed that "The book incorporates the material in "Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron" and adds a whole lot more."

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Seems the alternative cover is only for the friendly local game store, which is a nice way to get more patronage into your local community, and so, I will be visiting mine shortly to pre-order.

From the Adventurer's League:

An alternative art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on November 19, 2019.

"In addition to the artificer class—which fuses technology and magic—players will also be able to customize their characters with four new races and twelve magical dragonmark tattoos. A new game element called group patrons also provides parties with shared background features, helping to define adventurers’ roles in the post-war world."

"Dungeon Masters can also expect to find a new cache of tools in Eberron: Rising from the Last War, including an overview of the continent of Khorvaire, a gazetteer of the towering city of Sharn, maps of lightning-powered trains and industrial workshops, plus tons of adventure hooks and details on designing adventures set after the Last War."

Sounds very much like the Ravnica book.

Kurotowa

Legend
Sounds very much like the Ravnica book.

Sort of. There's also this clause. "Includes a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic." So the question is, what's the page count devoted to adventure material?

Curse of Strahd was campaign first, setting second. Ravniva was a pure setting book with no adventure material. Rising from the Last War might be somewhere in between? It does say "campaign" not "adventure" so it's probably more substantial than the brief intro quest in the original 3e Eberron book. But it's also a single bullet point out of seven, so it's also probably not half the book or anything.

I look forward to finding out in more detail what the content balance is like. I'm also definitely going for the alt cover if it's something intended for non-DMs.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sort of. There's also this clause. "Includes a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic." So the question is, what's the page count devoted to adventure material?

Curse of Strahd was campaign first, setting second. Ravniva was a pure setting book with no adventure material. Rising from the Last War might be somewhere in between? It does say "campaign" not "adventure" so it's probably more substantial than the brief intro quest in the original 3e Eberron book. But it's also a single bullet point out of seven, so it's also probably not half the book or anything.

I look forward to finding out in more detail what the content balance is like. I'm also definitely going for the alt cover if it's something intended for non-DMs.

No, that's not accurate about Ravnica: the adventure module "Krenko's Way" was included. This might be a larger and more meaty Adventure, however, bitt that is an evolution of the form in the Guildmasters Guide.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Out of curiosity, though, do we think that the density of adventures is the same? I'm trying to think of how to put this, but there is a LOT OF ADVENTURE packed into the pages of the old adventures (partly because they skimped on a lot of things that are necessary today, and partly because monsters could have one quick line to describe them).

What is the "Old-timey page" to "New page" conversion rate? Is there a verbosity and large type inflation calculator?

Based on Ghosts of Saltmarsh, the page count for the old material is actually significantly smaller in the modern printing style.

A lot about the Eberron Adventures density will depend on who writes it: probably Chris Perkins, given his history as one of the Fathera of Eberron and being king of 5E Adventure material, but we'll see. I can see the sub-setting of the Mournlands and the Lord of Blades as an antagonist being very conducive to old timey sandbox play: particularly after having heard Chris Perkins discourse on that for twenty minutes.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
What is the "Old-timey page" to "New page" conversion rate? Is there a verbosity and large type inflation calculator?
I've seen people run comparisons before, and the difference between 1E and 5E is substantial (like 12 pages vs. 20 pages substantial). The easiest way to do it is to compare the reprints in Saltmarsh or Yawning Portal with the original adventures. I doubt the difference between 3E and 5E is as great, but it exists.

The regular version's cover places text on top of imagery of the same general color, which is an aesthetic faux pas. The art style is a tad degraded from previous cover artwork due to a lack of overall detailing and expression. It's also not as dynamically connective to the setting as it could be.

A party of adventurers fighting monsters while trying not to fall off the top of a moving train would have been great. Give us a still of action instead of a magazine cover. Something exciting to get the creative juices flowing for D&D fans as they hold the book in front of them.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases