D&D 5E Eberron: Rising from the Last War Coming For D&D In November

A new D&D campaign setting has appeared on Amazon -- Eberron: Rising from the Last War. It's slated for November 19th, at $49.99.

Screenshot 2019-08-19 at 10.28.34.png

Explore the lands of Eberron in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

This book provides everything players and Dungeon Masters need to play Dungeons & Dragons in Eberron—a war-torn world filled with magic-fueled technology, airships and lightning trains, where noir-inspired mystery meets swashbuckling adventure. Will Eberron enter a prosperous new age or will the shadow of war descend once again?

• Dive straight into your pulp adventures with easy-to-use locations, complete with maps of floating castles, skyscrapers, and more.

• Explore Sharn, a city of skyscrapers, airships, and noirish intrigue and a crossroads for the world’s war-ravaged peoples.

• Include a campaign for characters venturing into the Mournland, a mist-cloaked, corpse-littered land twisted by magic.

• Meld magic and invention to craft objects of wonder as an artificer—the first official class to be released for fifth edition D&D since the Player’s Handbook.

• Flesh out your characters with a new D&D game element called a group patron—a background for your whole party.

• Explore 16 new race/subrace options including dragonmarks, which magically transform certain members of the races in the Player’s Handbook.

• Confront horrific monsters born from the world’s devastating wars.

There is an alternate cover for game stores:

ECWHqFcU4AAvUYP.jpg

WotC's Jeremy Crawford confirmed that "The book incorporates the material in "Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron" and adds a whole lot more."

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It’s less a case of reinventing the wheel, and more that in normal conditions I use my normal tires, but when I’m driving in winter I switch to snow tires. Different conditions (and different settings) should have different tools for the driver (or player).

shrug. I mean, we can pick whatever analogy. We can torture analogies to death. I live in Boston. We get snow. I can drive sensibly in snow, and know what kinds of snow to not drive in, such that I don't actually need to change tires. Someone from Florida, who hasn't driven in snow, might well end up in a ditch if they didn't have snow tires. What works for me might not work for them.

But, rather than an analogy, let me try the classic quote route, Shakespeare: "There is no accounting for taste."

You ascribe a character flaw (laziness) to an outcome you don't like. Have you considered, just perhaps, it has nothing to do with being lazy, unwilling to put in effort, but instead has to do with having a different opinion or viewpoint?

There is no one design perfect for everyone, and not matching your personal preference does not imply anyone is personally lazy.

What a non-argument. Why bring up an analogy and then say analogies don't matter? Why the sudden off-topic tangent to Boston and snow and Florida? And why just say things are reduced to taste?

If its a matter of taste, and Urriak said this isn't to their taste, you're basically saying that their taste doesn't matter and that their post is pointless. At that point, why even have a discussion forum? Why this thread? Why aren't people allowed to be critical of Eberron or whatever?

Is something lazy? We can't say for sure. But saying that re-flavoring is lazy isn't some great leap of imagination. And telling someone their point is pointless drivel is pretty bad form for any conversation of substance.

gyor

Legend
I appreciate you forum-splaining my neophobia to me, as well as providing a helpful thought experiment!

I was just thinking to myself-

Self. Just imagine if I was running a Greyhawk Campaign in the 1980s. Weird, right? Now, what if they had put out a major rulebook AFTER they published the Greyhawk Folio and boxed set? Maybe ... something called .... Uncovered Secrets? And what if I was reading this book, and after gathering up the pages from the floor (because in my thought experiment, this book has a terrible binding) I looked at the pages and they had all of these new rules about classes, and races, and even a new ability score! I'd probably demand that they immediately incorporate everything into my Greyhawk campaign, because everything new must always be put in, right?

And then, a few years later, just imagine if they released another hardcover book about Greyhawk! We could call it, oh, Greyhawk Excursions! And that book completely ignored the earlier book. I would be angry, right? Because all new rules and races, and classes always have to be incorporated, right?

....hmmm. It seems so .... familiar, doesn't it?

I think you fundamentally miss the point being articulated by some people; that just because a change is made in editions, it doesn't mean that you automatically have to make all the changes in all the settings throughout the multiverse.

Or, put another way, does Dark Sun have to have gnomes? Gnomes have been a core part of the rules since forever, and yet they don't exist in the Dark Sun world. And that should be fine (or as I would say, MORE THAN FINE! Muahahahahaha!).

But we don't live in that alternate reality. No one is saying to put it in amber; but to thoughtlessly include things just to because you happen to think that they are a "modern race[] and class[]" means that every campaign setting would be the same- boring. Not new; boring.

Some of us just are terrified of the boring. That's why Forgotten Realms frightens us.

The Forgotten Realms is the least boring setting in D&D, something is always going on, it's a living setting, the only one in D&D, so its lots of fun.

gyor

Legend
Dark Sun: played yes; fan no. My perception might be skewed by the DM I had, who ran the setting as an exercise in sadomasochism. I like pulpy "Conan the barbarian" type media, but the 2e version didn't click. It felt it was trying too hard to not be D&D, like it was ashamed to be called that. Ironically, I liked the 4e presentation a lot, but I didn't like 4e enough to play it.

As for Greyhawk, yes played; fan Neutral. I came into the setting at the end of 2e, so my exposure is "The Adventure Begins"/Living Greyhawk Gazetteer stuff. I played many of the classic modules (in 2e) and 2e Return to modules, and the later Vecna Trilogy, as well as ran Return to Temple of Elemental Evil. That said, while I have nothing against the setting, it doesn't reach my top 3 (Eberron, Planescape, Ravenloft), I liked the setting well enough based on what I've experienced.

That said, I still think there is room in both settings to grow.

I actually thought the 4e version was a really cool update to the Setting too which added new cool things to keep it interesting.

gyor

Legend
Awesome! You have fun with that!

Really. Now, you just make sure that FR is the ONLY living setting in D&D, and let the rest of the settings not be forced to update everything all the time.

We wouldn't want to take your fun, after all.

That wouldn't effect my fun either way. I have no side in this. Put Dragonborn in or take them out, it's not FR so I don't care that much. If I buy this book it will mostly be to encourage WotC to make a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide style book. Plus it might he a fun read.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That wouldn't effect my fun either way. I have no side in this. Put Dragonborn in or take them out, it's not FR so I don't care that much. If I buy this book it will mostly be to encourage WotC to make a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide style book. Plus it might he a fun read.

I definitely think the red hot sales of the book so far make future setting books more likely.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases