D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is that... sensible? I mean, really. How many centuries of history does the world have? All of the gods have just not bothered? ALL OF THEM have just not ever bothered? A whole world of potential worshipers they could have, but... choose not to of their own volition? All of them make that same choice, and have for the entire history of the world?

Does that make sense, for gods? Does that match their behavior pretty much anywhere else in the multiverse?
Why not? Do the gods care how many worshippers they have? Are the gods of Eberron anything like the gods of FR and Greyhawk?

Even in FR, AO needs no worship to maintain their power.

And the Sovereigns are present in Eberron, according to their acolytes. They’re in every ring of the forging hammer, every step of a lover’s dance, every handshake to seal a deal. They shape the world constantly by subtly guiding people toward the right path.

Or, if you’re an Eberronian atheist, that’s all nonsense and the gods are simply projections of the collective Will to make sense of the world.

This has happened before and much more egregiously. Planescape doubled down* on the whole "Takhisis lives in the Nine Hells, and the fact that everyone on Krynn believes that she's in the Abyss, including her own worshippers and Raistlin, a guy who actually went there and fought her, just proves they are all dumb, lol."

It wasn't till 3rd edition that Krynn was able to get a cosmology that actually matched the setting, and I'm pretty sure that will be undone if and when it appears in 5th edition.

* I know Takhisis was placed in the Nine Hells earlier, but that contradicted all the 1st edition Dragonlance material, and the Nine Hells placement was done solely because of "oh, she's Lawful Evil, plop her in the Nine Hells".

This has happened before and much more egregiously. Planescape doubled down* on the whole "Takhisis lives in the Nine Hells, and the fact that everyone on Krynn believes that she's in the Abyss, including her own worshippers and Raistlin, a guy who actually went there and fought her, just proves they are all dumb, lol."

It wasn't till 3rd edition that Krynn was able to get a cosmology that actually matched the setting, and I'm pretty sure that will be undone if and when it appears in 5th edition.

* I know Takhisis was placed in the Nine Hells earlier, but that contradicted all the 1st edition Dragonlance material, and the Nine Hells placement was done solely because of "oh, she's Lawful Evil, plop her in the Nine Hells".
This, of course, meant that Dragonlance was Ruined FOREVER and could never actually be fully enjoyed by anyone, anywhere.

Seriously, put these kind of complaints into perspective and ask yourself, "Do these complaints affect the setting's themes and ideas in a serious way?"

Coroc

Hero
This, of course, meant that Dragonlance was Ruined FOREVER and could never actually be fully enjoyed by anyone, anywhere.

Seriously, put these kind of complaints into perspective and ask yourself, "Do these complaints affect the setting's themes and ideas in a serious way?"
Well you are of course right, still the official sources should have been a bit more consistent on that one.
With Takhisis being identified as Tiamat in other settings, it would have been easier to just give Takhisis CE alignment place her in some abyssal layer and make these two two different entities eventually.
Since she qualifies as god, who knows maybe both are manifestations of her on different outer planes?
The dragons she is made up from also do not all have CE or LE alignment but vary.

Ashrym

Legend
This reminds me of "if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

Except the forest is in Canada and the people who don't hear anything are in Kenya, and who never cared about the tree in the first place. ;)

Religion in Eberron is gods don't interfere. There are people who worship gods and believe they exist. Because gods don't interfere there are also people who do not believe they exist. Treat the campaign like that, use the Eberron cosmology, and don't have any gods interfering the campaign seems BAU.

This is why I laugh at all of this... those people all ticked about Eberron being a part of the multiverse are blaming the wrong gods.

Not only that, they might want to read page 300 of the PHB. No one should have been surprised by something that was already stated years ago.

"The best-known worlds in the multiverse are the ones that have been published as official campaign settings for the D&D game over the years—Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Dragonlance, the Forgotten Realms, Mystara, Birthright, Dark Sun, and Eberron, among others. Each of these worlds boasts its own cast of heroic adventurers and scheming villains, its own ancient ruins and forgotten artifacts, its own dungeons and its own dragons. But if your campaign takes place on one of these worlds, it belongs to your DM—you might imagine it as one of thousands of parallel versions of the world, which might diverge wildly from the published version."

Eberron existed in the 5e multiverse before Eberron: Rising from the Last War was published. It also only did so solely at the discretion of the DM.

Elves ORIGINATE from the Forgotten Realms.

Officially.

No, they don't. The demi-human gods exist in multiple worlds other than FR that also preceded FR. They are not a part of Eberron. The elves of Eberron were created separately from the elves of other worlds as a race of elves free from those influences.

Elves existed before FR and in worlds that existed before FR.

Ahm. Did you involve yourself in Eberron cosmology? I did never dm Eberron or play it pen and paper but i am a long time ddo online player and ddo is Eberron at its finest. It got a cross over route to FR in the game via the Demonweb, and to Greyhawk via portals, and a possibility to get to ravenloft via the mists, adding some classic DnD modules for all those settings.

DDO bases the cosmology on Eberron, but we can see some unexpected influence. Running the quest chain to get to FR demonstrates the existence of the Silver Flame as a sentient force more than I would have ever expected in PnP campaign, for example. Getting to Greyhawk quests, FR, or Ravenloft is also more open than the typical Eberron PnP campaign (IME) as getting into those other worlds violates the normal level of separation.

Eberron is one of my favorite campaign settings. I really don't think the option to include or exclude it from the D&D multi-verse has any bearing on that at all. DDO is fun to but it doesn't handle that aspect quite the same way.

Hussar

Legend
WITHIN Eberron, the existence of the gods is still uncertain. The culture of that world knows nothing of those factually certain gods. For the people of Eberron, there is no certainty, as they are ignorant of the rest of the multiverse.

And all this happens to be aside the point, as you can play Eberron outside the rest of the official multiverse just fine. YOUR Eberron is unaffected by canon.

The idea that an "official" thing can ruin anything in a game literally built on a foundation of homebrew and house-rule is... really, on you, not on WotC.

If only such sentiments had prevailed even a few short years ago. :(

Coroc

Hero
@Ashrym

I really like the crossovers they did in DDO but for the classical content, not for the fact that they are crossovers. But I would also like the game if it just did stay in Eberron and its planar system.
And I think for a computer mmorpg they stay pretty true to Eberron canon and principles.

Well she's Tiamat. And also the Dragonlance people called all of the Lower Planes the Abyss including the Nine Hells.

Anyway, I would not even bother with Yaerel they hate Polytheism and even refuse to acknowledge that the Norse were Polytheistic at one point despite their interest in them.

Remove ads