D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Well she's Tiamat. And also the Dragonlance people called all of the Lower Planes the Abyss including the Nine Hells.

Anyway, I would not even bother with Yaerel they hate Polytheism and even refuse to acknowledge that the Norse were Polytheistic at one point despite their interest in them.

No, she's not Tiamat. She has nothing in common with Tiamat except a similar avatar. She is based on a deity from Jeff Grubb's home campaign which was based on the original "Chromatic Dragon" (long before the name Tiamat appeared in D&D) but the deity in Dragonlance has never been Tiamat.

teitan

Legend
My own words say that the dragons "RE-created" the Corellon-spawn elves, artificially duplicating them.

Elves ORIGINATE from the Forgotten Realms.

Officially.

You are wrong. The Elves in the Forgotten Realms are an interloper race. They originated in Arvandor, a primordial plane. The story of Corellon and Lolth exists in both Greyhawk and the Realms. The Elves do not originate in the Realms, the story of their creation doesn't even happen in the Realms or Greyhawk. The origin stories of the races as we popularly know them in general D&D lore originate in the Outer Planes and they come to the Prime Material plane later. This bit of lore was created generically. The war between Corellon and Gruumsh, Lolth's betrayal etc. The new bit is the Raven QUeen.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Eberron has always had beings that would be considered gods in other settings. They've been trapped in magical prisons for thousands of years now. The average Sovereign Vassal would have an Athar (from Planescape) like response to the entities of the Great Ring. "You worship these guys? Really? You're a little backwards aren't you?"
So did this earlier setting manual confirm that these powerful beings (demons?) were indeed gods and therefore confirm the existence of gods in the setting?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
There are gods that are worshipped, but don't run around punching each other, so some skeptics exist (especially in the aftermath of the Last War leaving do many scars), but most in the setting believe in the gods.
Gods are worshipped, but does the setting manual confirm that they are real (i.e., that their worshippers are correct)?

The setting manual, as far as I know, doesn't define the worshipped gods of these two pantheons (Six and Nine) as real divinity (IRL there can be a "historical Jesus" but that doesn't automatically mean he's the son of god). Other being are worshipped as gods AND factually exist (the Silver Flame is a flame anyone can see) but they are also "explained" and their origin means they are not gods (said Silver Flame is the burning soul of a couatl who sacrificed themselves to bind the demon overlords). The spirit ancestors of the Undying Court are real, but they are reguar positive-energy undead worshipped as gods by their descendants Demon Overlords were never described as gods but as powerful outsiders AFAIK (very little is known of them).

Coroc

Hero
Gods are worshipped, but does the setting manual confirm that they are real (i.e., that their worshippers are correct)?

I think the fact that they are real is not so much the problem. It is simply that like all stuff in Eberron also the gods are different, aka game mechanically different. Whether their followers get powers from then because they believe, or because that is the property of them which is not so different to other settings does not matter in the end.

E.g. in my campaign the players already did meet gods face to face (one of them in the afterlife) and in Avatar ( a scene with Iuz (in persona because demigod) and Heironeous Avatar).
So this follows the standard expectation. But, it is not the rule that even the most virtuous cleric may ever even see as much as an avatar of his god during a whole campaign. And it is also not mandatory that the afterlife of a deceased character is played out.
So in fact in many, if not most campaigns, the gods could be as distant and mysterious as the Eberron gods and the characters in game would not even notice and also the players would not know for sure depending on the DM elaborating on this topic or not.
What I want to say is it simply does not matter, unless you are planning a planescape crossover with eberron eventually, and there the bigger problem would rather be the different planar arrangement first.

Tallifer

Hero
Roleplaying is about the imagination. I think some people are confining themselves too narrowly within canon and codes and this-fits-but-this-does-not rules. If someone wants to make Eberron grim and dark, fair enough. But not everyone wants grim darkness. Some of us like Oz and Narnia mixed into our Gormenghast and Elric.

Coroc

Hero
Roleplaying is about the imagination. I think some people are confining themselves too narrowly within canon and codes and this-fits-but-this-does-not rules. If someone wants to make Eberron grim and dark, fair enough. But not everyone wants grim darkness. Some of us like Oz and Narnia mixed into our Gormenghast and Elric.
Narnia mixed with Ravenloft sounds like the South Park Christmas story narrated by Cartman.
Trigger warning, you need a very intellectual and at the same time macabre sense of humor to find that episode funny and it is not suited for children (as south park is not in general) , but if you do, then do not miss the final pun it is ROFLMAO at its finest.

Narnia mixed with Ravenloft sounds like the South Park Christmas story narrated by Cartman.
Trigger warning, you need a very intellectual and at the same time macabre sense of humor to find that episode funny and it is not suited for children (as south park is not in general) , but if you do, then do not miss the final pun it is ROFLMAO at its finest.

There is a "Narnia", Ravenloft realm (sort of, its actually more Kipling if anything). The Wildlands is full of intelligent, talking animals ruled over by a gigantic, talking crocodile.

Remove ads