D&D 5E Ector Brahms

Riley37

First Post
What's the best characterization of Sir Ector Brahms, Knight Commander of the Order of the Black Fist, in the 5E history of Phlan? What does he want? Is he an opportunist? Is he driven by duty, to make the best of a bad situation, with no legimate heir to the throne? Does he have a vision or dream of what Phlan could become? Does he understand how bad the situation has become for some residents - and does he care about those kinds of residents? Is he proud of the Knights of the Black Fist and their accomplishments?

If you are writing your own version, fine. If you are asserting a canonical version, cite sources!

Ricochet

Explorer
Interesting topic. Having just started a campaign around the area, I haven't yet given the Knight Commander much thought. I'd be interested to hear what your own characterization of him is though. :)

Riley37

First Post
Here's what I know, according to Adventurers League:

"In 1488 DR, Lord Protector Anivar Daoran died unexpectedly in what, for all intents and purposes seemed nothing more than a construction accident during renovations on Castle Valjevo. The Lord Protector left no heir, so the Knight Commander of the Black Fist, Ector Brahms, was declared the Lord Regent of the Cinnabar Throne. The Lord Regent’s grasp on the throne is tenuous. To maintain order, the Lord Regent has used his control of the Black Fist and the Cinnabar Throne to declared martial law; keeping the populace in line by fear. To run the city, the Lord Regent requires the aid of the noble families and the four trade guilds, both of which are hesitant to lend their full support until they know how it will benefit them."

Source:
http://dndadventurersleague.org/tyr...r-adventures/phlan-during-tyranny-of-dragons/

The guide then describes the destruction of the temple of Bane shortly after the death of Daoran, but does not say who was responsible. This seems a large loose end. Did someone arrange for Daoran's death AND for the destruction of the temple? Did someone blame Bane-worshippers for Daoran's death, and then destroy the Temple in retaliation?

Is someone at WotC hoping that many DMs will create different versions, and then they'll pick whichever version makes the best story? How the heck can anyone run "Tyranny in Phlan" or "Escape from Phlan" with a consistent background, without knowing how Ector Brahms got on the Cinnabar Throne?

Ricochet

Explorer
I ran them just fine by just making up that this guy just took over because he happened to have the most soldiers when the old ruler died. My players didn't really question the history and his authority much, to be honest.

Plenty of people have run the AL adventures in Phlan I'm guessing (they are last season's adventures after all).

Riley37

First Post
Well, if your group had fun, then you had enough for your group.

On another hand - did they oppose the Maimed Virulence, and if so, *why*? Was the Maimed Virulence *worse*, in any way, than Ector Brahms? Sounds like your players don't care about that sort of question. If a member of the Cult of the Dragon had been the first person to ask them for help, rather than Aleyd Burrell, would they have helped that person?

Riley37

First Post
By the way - does anyone have any plausible explanation for why Ector Brahms didn't take Anivar Daoran's body directly from the construction accident site, to Yovir Glandon, the priest of Kelemvor at Vilhingen Graveyard, and have Raise Dead cast?

or an explanation of why Anivar Daoran's soul would not return to its body? (There was an interesting proposal, on that topic, on the Candlekeep forum.)

Any explanation other than "I wanted Anivar to stay dead, so I could take power", that is?

Remove ads