Effects of writers strike on Sci Fi & Fantasy genre

Ryujin

Legend
Hey, it's not like the last writers strike hurt shows that badly. Didn't everyone love the second and subsequent seasons of Heroes?
I was just going through the past posts and was going to post this...

344565336_184061307457764_4805707069170949281_n.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
Generally correct.

We should note that it isn't really the producers who are trying to keep writer salaries down. By report, the producers are not happy with the situation either, but they are left enforcing directives from executives.

As I've come to understand it, streaming services have a problem - Wall Street and their own executives have bought into continued growth as the only metric that matters. That worked well enough in the early days of streaming, but once the market reaches saturation, they can't grow, and will fail. The closer you get to that failure point, the more you see executives try to squeeze every drop of wealth possible out of the system before it collapses. And that brings on a number of pretty toxic corporate behaviors...
Streaming services work their crews and talent to the point of exhaustion, with unrealistic shooting schedules. I can't imagine it's any better for the writers and if it gets worse, then it's not just the streaming services that will suffer collapse.

Remove ads