Effects of writers strike on Sci Fi & Fantasy genre

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Try the Canadian movie "Dance Me Outside." It's a comedy/drama that's a showcase of Native Canadian talent.
Funny Memes Viral Moments GIF by Identity

Stalker0

Legend
B) Doesn't understand what even mediocre writing looks like.
You don't watch enough tv if you think that a lot of shows don't have mediocre writing.

I absolutely agree that chatgpt is not going to create wonderful stuff out of the box, it has to have editing and often has to be rerun a few times to get anything worth while. But it can generate ideas you might not have thought of, it can come up with backgrounds pretty well.....and most importantly, the technology is going to continue to improve.

I know very well the limitations of the tech at the moment, but we are just at the beginning, and strikes and such will give impetus for studios to push that technology forward as best as they can. Maybe it will fall on its face and they will negotiate with the writers. Maybe they find a way to make it work "well enough" that its better to go that route that coughing up the costs the writers are asking for. Time will tell.

Ryujin

Legend
You don't watch enough tv if you think that a lot of shows don't have mediocre writing.

I absolutely agree that chatgpt is not going to create wonderful stuff out of the box, it has to have editing and often has to be rerun a few times to get anything worth while. But it can generate ideas you might not have thought of, it can come up with backgrounds pretty well.....and most importantly, the technology is going to continue to improve.

I know very well the limitations of the tech at the moment, but we are just at the beginning, and strikes and such will give impetus for studios to push that technology forward as best as they can. Maybe it will fall on its face and they will negotiate with the writers. Maybe they find a way to make it work "well enough" that its better to go that route that coughing up the costs the writers are asking for. Time will tell.
And people say there's nothing original coming out of Hollywood NOW.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Nah. They already have a go-to option for working without writers: unscripted, reality TV.

Coming next season on Rings of Power: The REAL Housewives of Númenor!

Love it, but just want to add this brief bit-

Reality TV is scripted. Yes, it's not necessarily covered by the WGA, and I'm not saying that every line of dialogue is written (it's not). But just like they are edited, there's also writing that goes on.

(That said, because of the difference in contracts etc., yes, there will be more reality TV. But we won't get to see the last three episodes of SNL, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to see Kieran Culkin and Jennifer Coolidge host).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hey, they didn't even spell check Wheel of Time, and that show turned out great.

As I often ask during my periodic streamer power rankings ... how does Amazon Prime spend so much money so fruitlessly?

It's not that they always make bad shows. It's just that ... almost all of their big-budget shows are so completely forgettable, or have such giant glaring problems.

Weirdly, I think they did best when they were just doing weird little prestige shows. Fleabag. The Patriot. Undone. A Very English Scandal. Forever.

But the more billions of Bezos they throw around, the more it seems to backfire. IMO.

Remove ads