• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eldritch Knight cantrips. 2 melee or 1 melee and 1 ranged?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'll suggest the dark horse option: an EK is one of the best user of the bladeward cantrip, because you can use it and still get one melee attack.

I went with Chill Touch and Light.

You don't really get a ton of extra power from the melee cantrips, and they're extremely limited by their range. Meanwhile, Chill Touch gives you a decent ranged attack - as in, it actually has decent range to it, as compared to the javelin's range which is comparable to your own move speed. You're already playing an Eldritch Knight, so you're better off leaning into the versatility, rather than just being another boring fighter guy.

Light is so I could cast in on my sword blade beforehand, so it would look super dramatic when I first draw it. Also, it's just amazing utility, because you can throw your sword anywhere and it will always come back.

You can always pick up a melee cantrip at level 11 or whatever.

Shiroiken

Legend
I strongly recommend taking Chill Touch or Fire Bolt as one of your two cantrips, because the EK is generally bad at ranged combat. Chill Touch may deal 1 less damage overall, but it's just as good at stopping regeneration and fewer things are resistant/immune. Ray of Frost might be alright, but the range isn't good enough IMO. You can use javelins if within 30 ft, especially if you can use extra attack (your DM may vary on this, as by RAW you can only draw 1 one your turn, but this is an oft ignored rule).

For your second cantrip, something for melee would be fine. Booming Blade isn't particularly good, unless you are attempting to tank. Green Flame Blade can be good, but don't discount Sword Burst in case you get swarmed (but beware if you have any adjacent allies).

Other options to consider, in order to optimize your use of War Magic, would be cantrips that use saves instead of attacks. Toll the Dead is probably the best for this, since it can deal 2d12 damage, but Frostbite can be good IF they fail the save. Acid Splash, Create Bonfire, Infestation, and Poison Spray also have their uses in this regard. Arguments could be made for non-damaging spells, such as Blade Ward, Minor Illusion, or True Strike, since you could use those every round as well, but you give up a good amount of damage with this option.

For your Level 1+ spells, I highly recommend that they mostly be situational spells, such as Shield, Absorb Elements, and Misty Step, since you don't have that many slots, and most damage spells you could cast won't be as good as a cantrip plus war caster attack. AoE spells should be your "go to" damage spells, such as Shatter and Fireball, to help against swarms of enemies. Magic Missile is a decent option as well, because it's auto-damage (which sometimes you really need).

Zardnaar

Legend
War Magic makes melee cantrips VERY worthwhile!

You can use a ranged cantrip and a melee attack with War Magic, but if you are planning on doing that Toll the Dead might be your best option, since saving throw spells don't get disadvantage from a hostile within 5'.

Except you trip over the fighters 3rd attack thing at level 11. If feats are allowed you can have 3 attacks and maybe a 4th via PAM or GWM or you can cast a cantrip and have 1 attack.

War magic is ok level 7-10 maybe with a sword and board PC.

THis is why I susggested the F1/Warlock whatever you can just use longer lasting buff spells as the wizard list lacks good quality low level spells that are worth using for a EK, the warlcok and cleric lists offer better spells.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
In the current plan, his STR is 20 and his Int is 16. So javelin attack is better at short range.

When he is taking an attack action, can he throw a javelin, take it back by bond (bonus action) and throw it again?

Hmm. My 1st thought here is that you've probably over invested in str.

On your cantrips/spells: you should pick the ones that best represent the character your envisioning.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Might not be as popular, but taking shocking grasp as your melee cantrip (with War Caster) can be quite effective.

2d8 electrical, then your weapon attack (1d12+5), and if the cantrip hits, no opportunity attack from your target if you step away from it (in fact, the target cannot take any reactions for that round, helping your rogue save their bonus action for something else!).

Makes for a very effective mobile fighter, baiting an enemy around the battlefield.

Coroc

Hero
Take a ranged cantrip, it saves you a bow and ammunition. The situation of ranged combat comes more often than a situation calling for feather fall. For your spells do really take things which are essential so it is shield, and the flameblade thing or anything else which can be delivered by a melee attack, normally you are a frontliner and you are melee. Do not take anything requiring concentration.

Hmm. My 1st thought here is that you've probably over invested in str.

On your cantrips/spells: you should pick the ones that best represent the character your envisioning.

Strength is a fine stat. 20 Str is often better than 20 dexterity.

I'd take greendlame blade because area damage is what can make it more worthwhile than just multiattack.
I'd alsso second taking a ranged cantrip, because if you can't close to melee, a ranged cantrip + a thrown javelin is not too bad at all. Drop weapon, cast spell and draw javelin and throw it makes you an ok ranged weapon user. Bonus point: you can always have your shield readied and even have a hand free to cast shield.
Another useful spell is dancing lights. You usually have no other concentration spell active and you have con proficiency to sustain it. It is a useful spell to make an area lit without giving away your own position.

hastur_nz

First Post
You don't need str and int, keep 20 str, dump int to 10. Use spells that dont grant saves. I used war caster and arcane apprentice feats.

Zardnaar

Legend
How does warcaster work with the sentinel feat? If they don't attack you you can use GFB on them?

And should you MC out after level 8?

I'm struggling to see the point over a high dex champion fighter that dual wields and takes the archer style at level 10. 4 attacks at level 11, and with the TWF feat you can carry 1 weapon and switch to a bow or 2 weapons.

I'm not a fan of the EK.

Remove ads