• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General elf definition semantic shenanigans

Scribe

Legend
archers in real life are all str users or at least the long-bow men all were.

Here, which is which? One is a dexterous elf, the other a solid and tough dwarf.

Option1.jpg

Option2.jpg

This is rhetorical, because we KNOW which is which, its been reinforced in our western mythology of what "Fantasy" options look like.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It seems to me, every "biological" reduces to the problem of Size.

Size is an extremely consequential trait, with numerous physical implications.

2024 must rethink Size, and ensure that its mechanics are well thought out, consistent, balanced, and verisimilitudinous.

Scribe

Legend
There are over a hundred different kinds of "D&D Elf".

Dexterity is irrelevant to MANY of these kinds of D&D Elves.

All D&D Elves express magic.

There are no, to my knowledge. Short, Squat, Thick, high Toughness, high Constitution, Elves.

To my knowledge, most (all?) Elves, are described in terms of being graceful, beautiful, agile, etc.

Yes, Magic also is a part of it, with their innate spells based upon their subspecies.

Gosh, I ran a campaign for years where elves, dwarves, gnomes, and pixies were all the same thing. If I had known better I probably would have thrown goblins, kobolds, and piskies in there too.

Remathilis

Legend
There are no, to my knowledge. Short, Squat, Thick, high Toughness, high Constitution, Elves.

To my knowledge, most (all?) Elves, are described in terms of being graceful, beautiful, agile, etc.

Yes, Magic also is a part of it, with their innate spells based upon their subspecies.
Its worth noting that sun elves in 3e did not have a dexterity modifier. They got +2 Int, -2 Con. Guess they aren't really elves since they don't have a dex mod...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

The issue is that
"most (all?) Elves, are described in terms of being graceful, beautiful, agile, etc."
is more that +2 Dex ( +1 Dex in 0e-1e).

Same with Dwarves. "high Constitution" isn't +2 Con.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads