EN World Fantasy Basketball League Signup

reapersaurus

First Post
Thanks for the notice, Mistwell.

It's hard (impossible, actually) for me to keep up with how last year went since Yahoo gets all the posts, and none that I could find on ENWorld - but I hope last year was fun (who won?)

I'm not that in to the Fantasy bball anymore - it just takes too much time.
Hope it's a good year in the ENWorld league, and here's to last-day comebacks and drama !
I still think it's an amazing contest that can go almost a thousand games, and the entire year is decided on 1 or 2 free throws/assists/steals difference (IIRC).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Here is the old FAQ/Pitch I used to post.

Welcome to EnWorld Fantasy Basketball!

Every year EnWorld users get together to play fantasy basketball online (for free) by putting together fictional teams (based on real-world stats) of players to compete against each other (in rankings, not by playing directly against each other).

You do not have to know much about basketball, you just have to be willing to learn, take chances, and have fun. The setup includes a message board, where people will be more than happy to offer advice to newcomers, and talk trash with veterans.

How it works (mostly borrowed from the ESPN Fantasy description): The first order of business in creating any fantasy league is collecting its members. As "team owners," these individuals draft real-life, professional players to be members of their respective teams. The statistics these players generate in their real games are collected, and fantasy points are awarded based on these numbers -- the better a player performs, the more fantasy points he accrues for his owner's team. In fantasy basketball, these points determine a winner in a rotisserie manner. The team that accumulates the most points or victories over the course of the season is declared the League Winner.

Fantasy Basketball is the closest thing you can find to buying your own franchise and becoming the team's manager, owner, and president all in one. All decisions are yours to make. Each team owner is supplied with all of the tools -- multiple draft methods, unlimited waivers and trades, free agency, an all-empowering commissioner, chat rooms, league bulletin boards, sortable stats for all players, etc. -- everything needed to build a team in the best manner possible.

Statistical reports, expert analysis, and up-to-date feature articles are readily available to keep owners informed. Armed with this information, owners are free to create the team of their dreams. To win, an owner has to be crafty, as each team competes directly with other owners who are equally determined to come out on top.

Like the race for the final NBA playoff spot, in rotisserie basketball the league champ could be determined on the very last day of the season. Regardless of your regular season record, your team is guaranteed to play in every week of the NBA season.

How much time does it take? Not much time at all. You can set up which player's you want to play when about 4-5 days in advance. If you don't want to, you don't have to change it again until the end of that period, and if you forget, it won't kill you. Players will continue to play in whatever slots you set them in, however it just means that you won't have other players filling in on days off.

For example, if you have player X set to the Point Guard position, and you don't change it, and X only plays 2 games that week, the other days of that week will have nobody getting points for the point guard position. That won't kill you, since you don't need someone playing every single position every day (in fact there is a maximum number of games each position can play before you stop earning points for that position), but if it becomes a long-term issue it will cost you points. That means basically you have to fiddle with things about 1-2 times a week. But each time it can take as little as 5 minutes to change things around. The longest time commitment is how long the season goes...which is of course matched by the real-world basketball season. So, this will go on until about mid-April I believe.

So, join on in! All you have to do is say "I'm in", and come up with a fictional name for your fictional team composed of real-life players to start.

And again, honestly, you don't have to know what you are doing. We will give you advice, and it won't take long to figure things out. You just have to have at least some interest in basketball, and be willing to interact with your fellow EnWorlders/CricvsMaximvs'ers and play for this years basketball season online.

So, who is in? Who wants to hear more? Any questions? Comments? Concerns?

Black Omega

First Post
Mistwell said:
Grr, we could use 3 more players. In the very least, we need 1 more player for an even 8.

Shall I post at CircvsMaximvs?

Loki44 said he was going to post there, which is fine by me. Bump his thread or start one if you don't see his. We seem to run into this every year. Sigil and John Creighton said they would join but were waiting on PMs, which I can't do. Presumbly because I don't have a member account.

Mistwell

And for historical reference:

2002 Thread:
http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27763

Results:
1 Mistwell Maulers 77
2 Dwarven Dunkers 76.5
3 AA Horned Wolverines 71
4 Skyhawks 70.5
5 Swordsworn 61.5
6 Kaj. Roundball Lions 59
7 DPR Mayhem 55
8 DC Dragons 52.5
9 muddaubers 52
10 The Werebulls 47
11 Black Comedians 46
12 Ale Dunkers 34

2003 Thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=60587

Results:
1 Tokyo Samurai 80
2 Skyhawks 79
3 Reapers Raptors 74
4 Doppler Longshots 69
5 Dwarven Dunkers 66
6 Mistwell Maulers 63.50
7 JCs Crusaders 61.50
8 Kaj. Roundball Lions 52
9 Greyshadows Gnats 41.50
10 Daggers Deathdealers 41.50
11 BSs Flagrant Fouls 40
12 DPR Mayhem 34

2004 Thread:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100213&page=1&pp=20

Results:
Skyhawks 84.5
Dwarven Stormhammers 77.5
Mistwell Maulers 76
Tokyo Samurai 69
Gambling Cubes 68.5
BS's Flagrant Fouls 57
Chief Sleep 55.5
Ádh na nÉireannach 50
Red Star 42.5
The Frost Mages 41
Crichtons Eleven(th) 41
Okamis 39.5

2005 Thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=145860

Results:
Rank Team FG% TOTAL
1 Mistwell Maulers 9.5 82.5
1 Reaper's Raptors 9.5 82.5
3 Shark's Jawz 7.5 72.5
4 Tokyo Samurai 11 65
5 Aggy's Slam Kings 1 63
6 Dwarven Stormhammers 3.5 60.5
7 Skyhawks 6 57
8 Powhatan Indians 7.5 49.5
9 Mista's Maniacs 3.5 47.5
10 Detroit Dreads 12 44
11 Doc Rivers Special 5 43
12 Midgets of Retreat 2 35

2006 Thread:
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=175871

Results:
Rank Team Points Pts Change Waiver Moves
1. Ragnarok 77 0.5 8 38
2. Aggy's Slam Kings 72 0 6 25
3. Shark's Jawz 69.5 1 12 47
4. Mista's Maniacs 69 0 7 10
5. Mistwell Maulers 68 0.5 10 22
6. Tokyo Samurai 66 0 11 28
7. The Detroit Dreads 58 0 3 10
8. Hamden Browncoats 54 -0.5 1 14
9. ph34r 47 -0.5 4 6
10. Eight Tiny Reindeer 45.5 -1 5 15
11. Skyhawks 43 0 9 32
12. WheelChariotsofFire 33 0 2 1

And now this, the 2007 thread.

1 Ragnarok 75 0.5 4 37
2 Tokyo Samurai 74 0 9 24
3 Shark's Jawz 66 0 10 38
4 Vermicious Knids 65 -1.5 12 51
5 Mistwell Maulers 64 0 8 22
5 Aggy's Slam Kings 64 0 5 21
7 Detroit Dreads 62 -1 7 14
8 Skyhawks 57 0 11 21
9 Berkeley Hippoes 49 0.5 2 2
10 Mista's Alright Guys 48.5 1.5 6 8
11 JC in da Hizzy 47 -0.5 1 8
12 Campbell's Crew 30.5 0.5 3 -

Man, this is our sixth year!

Last edited:

reapersaurus

First Post
wow! Great recap post, Mistwell!

If you don't have 2005's results by the time I get home, I've got them saved.

Is Ragnarok a newcomer? How'd he finish on top last year? That's a surprise. Any brief recap/overview of the year? Did everybody stay playing, or did the lower managers effectively drop out after a third of the season again?
Were there problems filling the second Center position again?
Were there any trades that should have been nixed?

Spill the dirt. :)

Mistwell

reapersaurus said:
wow! Great recap post, Mistwell!

If you don't have 2005's results by the time I get home, I've got them saved.

Is Ragnarok a newcomer? How'd he finish on top last year? That's a surprise. Any brief recap/overview of the year? Did everybody stay playing, or did the lower managers effectively drop out after a third of the season again?
Were there problems filling the second Center position again?
Were there any trades that should have been nixed?

Spill the dirt. :)

See you know you want to play! And with 4th Edition D&D coming out, you will be frequently this board again anyway...so you might as well!

reapersaurus

First Post
Mistwell -
nah, I was just curious about the state-of-the-league of this good ENWorld league.

(and I'm not much into RPG anymore - it's boardgames now)

Here's the 2005 results:

Rank Team FG% TOTAL
1 Mistwell Maulers 9.5 82.5
1 Reaper's Raptors 9.5 82.5
3 Shark's Jawz 7.5 72.5
4 Tokyo Samurai 11 65
5 Aggy's Slam Kings 1 63
6 Dwarven Stormhammers 3.5 60.5
7 Skyhawks 6 57
8 Powhatan Indians 7.5 49.5
9 Mista's Maniacs 3.5 47.5
10 Detroit Dreads 12 44
11 Doc Rivers Special 5 43
12 Midgets of Retreat 2 35

(Tying on FG% is like 2 made/missed buckets in the entire year, AFAIK. Amazing)

Remove ads