• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Endless Quest books, remember them?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Yes!

Attachments

• Endless Quest 1.png
    Endless Quest 1.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Endless Quest 2.png
    Endless Quest 2.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Endless Quest 3.png
    Endless Quest 3.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 101

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Two of them even made it into Swedish, King's Quest and Dragon's Ransom.

Attachments

• Gyllene_draken.jpg
    Gyllene_draken.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Manniskoatarnas_rike.jpg
    Manniskoatarnas_rike.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 76

I have got the complete collection translated into Spanish language by Titun Mas. The covers were different. Endless Quest and the 80's cartoon was my first contact with D&D.

Today the endless quests could be adapted into interactive stories for tablets. It shouldn't be more work than a spot to promote a product. Let's say it would be like a free videogame as a gift to promote the selling of the last title of the same franchise, or the old cartoons in Hasbro's youtube channel. Are they going to lose money with this idea?

Sacrosanct

Legend
The other day I was reading these to the six year old, and he's pretty funny. He doesn't wait until you get to a choice. I'll be reading a description and he'll interrupt, "I take out my rope from my backpack and make a booby trap!" It's pretty awesome :)

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I was a big fan of these when I was a kid, though I only owned a few; I think I might have copies of one or two of the AD&D ones left.

I recall some years back reading a web page where someone had done a lot of in-depth analysis of books in this genre, examining the complexity of the branching paths and numbers of options, and showing how a number of the later ones got simpler over time, seemingly as the more ambitious writers moved on to other projects and later volumes became more rote.

In the last couple of years I also seem to remember reading on some old-schooler's blog them mapping out Dungeon of Dread to figure out if it was actually working from a viable map, and it not really being so. But of course if someone wanted to turn it into a real module, that would just be part of the adaptation work.

Last year I adapted BSOLO, Ghost of Lion Castle, a solo adventure for Basic written by Merle Rasmussen, into a regular multiplayer adventure site I DM'd. Definitely had to do some adaptation and expansion, but I really enjoyed it and so did my players. So I definitely understand the impulse to adapt something like this from one's childhood, and can happily report that it can go well. :)

Last edited:

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I think Dungeon of Dread was my very first intro to all things D&D, before I knew anyone who actually played it or anything. And thanks to that cover, I still adore water weirds to this day, and include one in pretty much every adventure I invent/run.

ccs

41st lv DM
Oh yes. I had the first dozen or so. Loved them. Especially the Clyde Caldwell covers.
I've used bits & pieces of some of them over the years in various games. Every now & then I've even considered making them into actual adventures.... But then I never get around to replacing the book to start the work & create something else instead. Maybe one of these days. :)

Remove ads