• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Energy Missile

My binder (sometimes) has the ability to "cast" energy missile. I'm far from an expect on psionics, but the augmentation seems wrong to me.

The save DC increases by 1 for every power point you put in. Shouldn't that be +1 for every two power points?

Its not in the errata.

Stratovarius

First Post
There was a change in Complete Psionic to +1 every 2 PP, as a form of paid-for errata, but I ignore that in my games and keep the original. The DC of energy missile never bothered me. the problem was being able to target multiple items for sunder shots with sonic missile, and that wasn't addressed. I just use the original DC, as most things from Complete Psionic are banned in any game I'm in.

Stratovarius said:
There was a change in Complete Psionic to +1 every 2 PP, as a form of paid-for errata, but I ignore that in my games and keep the original. The DC of energy missile never bothered me. the problem was being able to target multiple items for sunder shots with sonic missile, and that wasn't addressed. I just use the original DC, as most things from Complete Psionic are banned in any game I'm in.
So its paid-for errata that you don't actually use :)

Thanks for the reply.

My binder is 18th level, with Int 16. It doesn't seem right, somehow, that I can force DC 30 saves without actually trying.

Albeit only twice a day, and with one heck of an opportunity cost (although that comes with being a binder in the first place).

Stratovarius

First Post
It's energy damage, which tends to be at best not the optimal choice for a situation, and the high save just ensures that the damage actually hits the creature, rather than being constantly saved against. Especially as this is only twice a day.

If it was a DC30 Dominate ability, that would be far more dangerous, but as it stands I wouldn't be worried unless it starts overshadowing everyone else when used.

avr

First Post
The errata in Complete Psionic for the two energy powers with typos in the XPH seemed sensible to me. My experience is with mid-level psions rather than near-epic binders though.

Exactly why WoTC put this errata in a separate book is another matter. I suspect it was a screwup on someone's part.

Drowbane

First Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there was errata on Energy Missile before the Complete Psi was ever conceived of.

Or... maybe that was just "common sense" among those in groups I play in. :p

Kmart Kommando

First Post
It would be fine, if it was: Add PPs for more damage, add PPs for higher DC, separately, to a limit of your manifester level. Then it is perfectly balanced, and comparable with many of the other powers, instead of the power to have.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
amethal said:
My binder is 18th level, with Int 16. It doesn't seem right, somehow, that I can force DC 30 saves without actually trying.
Think about it this way: if you were a Wizard, you could cast magic missile, with no save.

The psionic version never particularly bothered me, though lots of people do house rule it. Rule it either way you like, it's not broken at +1 DC/PP, nor is it useless at +1 DC/2 PP.

Cheers, -- N

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Nifft said:
Think about it this way: if you were a Wizard, you could cast magic missile, with no save.

The psionic version never particularly bothered me, though lots of people do house rule it. Rule it either way you like, it's not broken at +1 DC/PP, nor is it useless at +1 DC/2 PP.

Cheers, -- N
but your magic missile isn't doing 18d6 damage either. no one plays a psionic character that doesn't go nova if they can get away with it. :p

we've had an enemy wilder one-shot our healer in the surprise round, then kill another character each round, with a first level, no save power. except for the psion/wizard, who was built specifically to be a damage sponge, but probably with a little bit of rules-bending in there somewhere, he survived an assault with like 20 hit points to spare. i think 3 of us went down before we killed him, in the third round of combat. :\

Remove ads