D&D 5E Enhancing Vecna: Eve of Ruin *SPOILERS*

I have to say, Evernight is freaking sick. The way they describe it is terse but fantastic. The Corpse Market sounds like a fun place. Wish the adventure could use this more somehow...
It says it uses the same layout as Neverwinter. So if you have source material for that you can easily expand Evernight.

You could even use material from HAT. Maybe it is ruled by Forge Fitzwilliam or Sofina? WotC put out stat blocks for them.

Last edited:

I wonder if a future setting would be a demiplaned like Ravenloft, but this created by Vecna. This would be less "gothic horror" and more "grimdark", maybe post-apocalypse in certain way, something like the world of the videogame "Brutal Legend" and the animated movie "Heavy Metal 2000".

And the souls? they would be from the "wall of the faithless".

I am going to tell a great secret about Vecna: he discoverd Heavy Metal from our world and he loves it, even his agents created a company "Vecna Records", and a videogame studio was hired to... you can imagine it.

What if Vecna saved the last suvivors humans from Verin, the planet within the "Darkspace". He could do it even because selfish reasons. If those humans sincerly believe Vecna is their savior (and they are right, in certain way) they could be their secret but loyal worshippers.

* If Vecna is the deity of the secrets, then he could be one of the responsibiles of the stop of evolution of the technology because he would rather high-tech be hidden, and the rest of deities would agree because they don't like ordinary mortals to be independient thanks technology instead divine magic

dave2008

Legend
* If Vecna is the deity of the secrets, then he could be one of the responsibiles of the stop of evolution of the technology because he would rather high-tech be hidden, and the rest of deities would agree because they don't like ordinary mortals to be independient thanks technology instead divine magic
That is an interesting idea - not sure how it plays into the adventure, but interesting

The more I think about it, the more I think Kas's plan makes no sense.

He wants revenge on Vecna. However, if he doesn't interfere, then the Wizard Three create a super Wish that unravels Vecna's ritual. Kas could then run up on him and kill him, or he could have approached the Wizard Three, lied to say he was reformed, and then told the truth about how the Rod can banish Vecna back to Oerth to be properly killed.

No matter how I try to cut it, replacing Mordenkainen is a Chaotic Stupid move. It sabotages his own plan for absolutely no real gain. So, how am I thinking about cutting it?

Evernight is the solution to my problems. The first piece of the Rod is here, in Evernight. The players return to Evernight after the FIrst Chapter; their dreams due ot being attached to Vecna allows them to process the secrets given to him, and one of those secrets is how to stop him. At the same time, the Silverhand is doing her thing. When the players get the first Piece of the Rod, the Wish STILL summons them. Kas is just flat out there, and the real Mordenkainen, and after some prep and discussing with each other what's going on, each of these four NPCs (Tasha, Morde, Silverhand, Kas) are able to discover ways to get to four more additional parts.

Once we get to the Miska part, where the 7th piece of the Rod will be located, Kas will betray the party and abscond to Pandemonium. The Crown of Lies masked his true intent and character, and it caused him to appear sincere and indeed STILL HUMAN to the party. When he acts on his true intentions, the Crown of Lies reveals him as the vampire that he truly is.

Now, that being said, something I want in the adventure in Vecna working against his foes. I don't want him to work against the PCs, but I do want him to work against the Wizard Three, who he should have some kind of history with. This would be in the form of putting a bounty on their heads for his cultists across the Multiverse. After all, why have that cool "battlemap" of the Sanctum and not have it get invaded by undead and demons?!

I think Lolth specifically knows about the players, especially after they ransack Web's Edge. However, she keeps that a secret, and the knowledge that Kas is working with the Wizard Three. This lets me have a brutally tragic climax where Vecna is ruined by Kas, admits the real reason for the ritual, and both are then struck down and send into Domains of Dread, leaving Lolth behind to harness the huge amount of power gathered by Vecna.

I think I'll take a page out of Out of the Abyss for the ending if I run it. The final battle has two parts. Part 1 is Lolth vs the players as other gods. I'd give them a sta tblock for Tiamat, the Raven Queen (wants the secrets Vecna gathered to figure out who she was), Elistraee, and Correllon. This fight weakens Lolth to CR 30, but also weakens the other gods, and allows the players to come in and finish the job. Lolth is defeated and retreats to the abyss, to scheme again another day.

Alternatively, the Rod of Seven Parts can be used to weaken Lolth, forcing her into a CR 30 form for the players to fight.

I think this line of events makes the adventure more runnable and also gives it a more coherent narrative throughout. It also has a lot of room for change, and of course the gods used can be subbed out for others as per taste, etc.

Anyway, that is how I'm feeling atm.

On Evernight. The adventure assumes some indeterminate time passes between chapter 1 and 2, and it also has guidelines for lowering the level of chapter 1. So it would be quite easy to slot in a couple of Evernight adventures. Maybe something from Keys from the Golden Vault?

On source material, I think Evernight was inspired by the depiction of the Shadowfell in Neverwinter Nights 2: Masks of the Betrayer, which is always worth a plug.

dave2008

Legend
On Evernight. The adventure assumes some indeterminate time passes between chapter 1 and 2, and it also has guidelines for lowering the level of chapter 1. So it would be quite easy to slot in a couple of Evernight adventures. Maybe something from Keys from the Golden Vault?

On source material, I think Evernight was inspired by the depiction of the Shadowfell in Neverwinter Nights 2: Masks of the Betrayer, which is always worth a plug.
Yes my plan is run free vecna adventure at level 3, chapter one at level 7 or 8 and then start the main adventure at 10. I haven't figure out the filler adventures yet though.

He wants revenge on Vecna. However, if he doesn't interfere, then the Wizard Three create a super Wish that unravels Vecna's ritual. Kas could then run up on him and kill him, or he could have approached the Wizard Three, lied to say he was reformed, and then told the truth about how the Rod can banish Vecna back to Oerth to be properly killed.

No matter how I try to cut it, replacing Mordenkainen is a Chaotic Stupid move. It sabotages his own plan for absolutely no real gain. So, how am I thinking about cutting it?
Going to disagree a bit - I think there's a bit of confusion over the order of operations.

Established terminology aside, I don't get the impression that the "Wizards Three" in this adventure were a pre-existing alliance between Alustriel, Mordenkainen, and Tasha. They may have known (or at least known of) each other in their mutual capacities as powerful wizards, but they only came together as the Wizards Three after Alustriel detected Vecna's machinations and reached out to Mord/Tasha for aid in combatting him.

Given the way that the Crown of Lies works, Kas would have needed to have already taken on Mordenkainen's form in order to intercept Alustriel's sending re:Vecna. That would suggest that Mord was never actually involved in this version of the Wizards Three at all - it was always Kas.

Kas joined up with Alustriel and Tasha to gather information and make use of their abilities/resources, but he presumably had no way of knowing that they would ultimately settle on attempting a three-caster wish spell he couldn't contribute to. Once they did, his only real options were to come clean about not actually being Mordenkainen (quite possibly putting his schemes at risk) or fake his participation in the casting and hope it either works with only two real casters anyway or that he can direct their backup plans toward something he can actually use (i.e. the Rod of Seven Parts angle) once the wish fails.

Last edited:

I feel you missed Kas’s plan. Kas has no interest in sabotaging Vecna’s ritual cause his whole plan is to hijack the ritual and take Vecna’s place as the one who rewrites reality. He has made a bargain with Miska to free him to have him and his armies support in taking Vecna’s place.

Last edited:

Remove ads