D&D 5E Enhancing Vecna: Eve of Ruin *SPOILERS*

I feel you missed Kas’s plan. Kas has no interest in sabotaging Vecna’s ritual cause his whole plan is to hijack the ritual and take Vecna’s place as the one who rewrites reality. He has made a bargain with Miska to free him to have his and his armies support in taking Vecna’s place.
Ah yep, missed that part then. Whoops!

Going to disagree a bit - I think there's a bit of confusion over the order of operations.

Established terminology aside, I don't get the impression that the "Wizards Three" in this adventure were a pre-existing alliance between Alustriel, Mordenkainen, and Tasha. They may have known (or at least known of) each other in their mutual capacities as powerful wizards, but they only came together as the Wizards Three after Alustriel detected Vecna's machinations and reached out to Mord/Tasha for aid in combatting him.

Given the way that the Crown of Lies works, Kas would have needed to have already taken on Mordenkainen's form in order to intercept Alustriel's sending re:Vecna. That would suggest that Mord was never actually involved in this version of the Wizards Three at all - it was always Kas.

Kas joined up with Alustriel and Tasha to gather information and make use of their abilities/resources, but he presumably had no way of knowing that they would ultimately settle on attempting a three-caster wish spell he couldn't contribute to. Once they did, his only real options were to come clean about not actually being Mordenkainen (quite possibly putting his schemes at risk) or fake his participation in the casting and hope it either works with only two real casters anyway or that he can direct their backup plans toward something he can actually use (i.e. the Rod of Seven Parts angle) once the wish fails.
It just makes Kas seem a little silly here, but now that I understand that he was trying to co-opt Vecna's ritual for himself, it makes more sense.

It just makes Kas seem a little silly here, but now that I understand that he was trying to co-opt Vecna's ritual for himself, it makes more sense.
A bit silly, perhaps, but reasonably in character.

Kas isn't a perfectly rational actor, he's an evil, duplicitous, backstabbing bastard out for revenge against his former lover partner-in-villainy. Even setting aside the specifics of his plans to usurp Vecna's ritual for himself, Kas would never have been satisfied with just handing over everything he knew to Mordenkainen et al. and letting them take it from there. However it was accomplished, he'd want to be personally responsible for bringing Vecna to ruin.

The Wizards Three were never going to be anything more than tools to advance his own plans, as far as Kas was concerned.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I personally don't like that it is his plan in the adventure. IMO, he should simply want to stop Vecna (make him mortal/destroy him/send him back the domains/wahtever). I don't think of Kas as someone powerful enough to handle the forces to recreate the multiverse. Heck, the ritual drains Vecna so much that he is no longer a greater god, but basically a mortal. Kas doesn't have that kind of power. Of course you could change the goal of the ritual (which is what I plan to do).

dave2008

Legend

Kas isn't a perfectly rational actor, he's an evil, duplicitous, backstabbing bastard out for revenge against his former lover partner-in-villainy. Even setting aside the specifics of his plans to usurp Vecna's ritual for himself, Kas would never have been satisfied with just handing over everything he knew to Mordenkainen et al. and letting them take it from there. However it was accomplished, he'd want to be personally responsible for bringing Vecna to ruin.

The Wizards Three were never going to be anything more than tools to advance his own plans, as far as Kas was concerned.
Yep, I just thinks it makes more sense for him to be more direct and not have to pretend to be Mordenkainen

I personally don't like that it is his plan in the adventure. IMO, he should simply want to stop Vecna (make him mortal/destroy him/send him back the domains/wahtever). I don't think of Kas as someone powerful enough to handle the forces to recreate the multiverse. Heck, the ritual drains Vecna so much that he is no longer a greater god, but basically a mortal. Kas doesn't have that kind of power. Of course you could change the goal of the ritual (which is what I plan to do).
Kas indeed does not have that power. That's why he's letting Vecna do the work, and getting another powerful being in Miska to help him.

I acknowledged all of this in my previous post,

dave2008

Legend
Kas indeed does not have that power. That's why he's letting Vecna do the work, and getting another powerful being in Miska to help him.
I realize that is the story of the book, but that doesn't work for me. IMO, even though, or possible because, Vecna did the work Kas can't usurp it. He doesn't have the strength to handle that power.

Also, why would Miska help Kas remake the multiverse?

Remove ads