• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

epic feats question

D Money1644

First Post
i don't have access to the epic level handbook so i just need to know whether or not feats designated as epic feats can be taken by a character who has not reached 20th level.

here's my exact situation just in case it will help anything:
im currently a 2nd level fighter with an intelligence score of 9 (-1 modifier). granted, fighters don't need to be particularly smart, but a lot of the feats i want (like improved trip, expertise, etc.) require an intelligence of 13+. so i've been looking all over for ways to increase my intelligence. if i can take epic feats no matter what my level actually is, then the great intelligence feat is probably my best option. the feat description (as shown on a few websites i've found) includes no prerequisites so im hoping i can take this feat right now. can anyone help me? thanks.

D Money1644

First Post
damn. thanks for answering so quickly though. so i guess my best option is an enchanted item or saving up a buttload of money and finding someone willing and able to cast the wish spell 4 times. i really dont wanna have to wait until 16th level to finally get my intelligence to 13. does anyone else, by chance, have any good suggestions? thanks again.

and no, i haven't had a chance to consult my DM yet. the only suggestion he's offered is trying to make a pact with a devil or demon. i think i'll pass on that one.

The Souljourner

First Post
Get the +4 intelligence item and convince your DM to allow you to take the feats but only let them work when you're wearing the item (it's pretty vague in the PHB about whether or not that's legal, but some DMs allow it).

The other option is to put a decent score in intelligence and put that 9 somewhere else :)

-The Souljourner

D Money1644

First Post
i would put that 9 into another ability, like charisma (which is 15), but DM won't allow it. he had us roll specifically for each ability score and not make the rolls then put them where we want. and there's absolutely no chance of that now that the campaign has started.

Crothian

First Post
I'd give up going after those feats. Your character just doesn't have the ability to do it and the DM might not want to bend the rules to allow you to.

TheGogmagog

First Post
I think the FAQ states that magic items will allow you to qualify for feat reqirements. The question was about the epic level feats that required 25 ablility scores in 2 or 3 different stats. These feats would otherwise be unavailable until after 40th level. Just remember that losing the magic item means losing the use of the feats until it is replaced.

JonnyFive

First Post
1st, why 4 wishes? just ask for a tomb of clear thought +4, addes +4 to int after a week of reading

2nd yes there are feats that require a 25 in a stat or two, but relize that by level 21, your charecter should have ammased so much cash that getting 2 or 3 manuels or tombs should be little to no challenge to them.

Mortis

First Post
JonnyFive said:
2nd yes there are feats that require a 25 in a stat or two, but relize that by level 21, your charecter should have ammased so much cash that getting 2 or 3 manuels or tombs should be little to no challenge to them.
Ah! but the inherent bonuses from the tomes/manuals don't stack, they overlap. So if you read a +2 Manual of Gainful Exercise and then read a +3 Manual of Gainful Exercise you would 'only' have +3 to your ability not +5.

Regards,
Mortis

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads