D&D 5E Escape the Underdark, Fear the Madness, and get Out of the Abyss - IC

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: He only speaks undercommon, but the message was spoken softly to every third person in line, so the two next in line at the gate could hear also. Finnan could translate the message for the rest of the party.

TallIan

Explorer
OOC: I take it the lift is operated only from the top?

Finnan considered this new twist, not sure he trusted this guard. We've seen that the guards are not above using us for our own amusement. This could be a trap. I'd suggest we try and make our own fortuitous event before then. He says to the group. Then we need to have a preference of tunnel to choose. If the north one goes to Menzoberanzen I'd say that should be out last choice, we don't want to head towards reinforcements. Similarly I would suggest the south one be our first choice, but it depends where they go.

He glances at the so far silent prisoners. The drow and the orc worries him a little. Depending on how accurate JimJar's info was, the drow should prove willing to escape - assuming he did not want to die - but the orc? Certainly useful in a fight, but on who's side?

In an attempt to get some answers, Finnan approaches the orc, trying a little flattery. "You seem strong and proud, I would not think a life of servitude would suit you, yet you hold your tongue when we suggest escape."

Persuade the orc to talk: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

"I'm willing to try to see if there's anything we can do with the hinge if someone will stand by the other end of the door distracting any guards looking our way." Thia says.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Ront.jpg The orc stands as the halfling speaks, towering over Finnan by almost four feet. "No want to stay, but the black skins are many and so few here can fight. I would want twenty spears at my back before thinking of escape."

The orc looks tired and his shoulders start to sag as he again ponders his words. "Where we go? That the blacks not just find and capture us again."

OOC: Another Persuasion check please, you may just swing his disposition after that last good roll.

TallIan

Explorer
"Optimistic to find 20 orcs with spears in a prison" says Finnan in jest, "I was training to use magic, as was the woman Thia. Betwean the two of us that must make up for a five or six spears. But we don't need to win a fight - just get out. Someone with your ability could certainly swing this for us. Once we're out we have a guide. It'll be tough, but once we get moved deaper, our chances will become ever more slim."

Second Persuasion roll: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Answering from OOC thread.
Here is a picture of what the hinge may look like. Easy enough with tools. But the only thing you have is the flint knife, which you could try and use to pry the bolt up. Since Atallia is your distraction you would have advantage, because you can take your time. DC 14 STR check for each (so twice).

[sblock=Picture]
bolt hinge.jpg[/sblock]

Thia and Atallia move quietly to the gate, the elf silently working on the hinges from the shadows. Atallia paces back and forth in front of the gate for a minute until a guard walks out onto the rope bridge and tells her to get back inside. Moving slowly away she comes back after a minute and again the guard threats her to back off. Not listening (really wanting to see what happens), Atallia crosses her arms defiantly.

*twang*

He fires a bolt at her. [roll0] disad(distance): [roll1], dmg [roll2]

It flies towards the gate and it clangs harmless off the cross guards of the portcullis.

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Only if Atallia reaches through the gate and snags it. If it would have hit, she could have used deflect missiles on it. Then things would have gotten interesting.

Ront.jpg "You are going to risk your life?" the orc asks, knowing the answer. "You are brave little man."

"Braver than I will ever be." he mumbles to himself. "Need not fight, hmm" He says a little louder, his eyes brightening to the thought. "I like this idea. I will escape with you little 'magic' man."

OOC: Ront is now Indifferent to Finnan and it will be easy to make him Indifferent to everyone(no rolls, just rp) except the dwarves. Some serious RP/Rolls for him to become Indifferent to them.

OOC: Twice? That refers to getting past both break points or twice, once for each hinge. I'm hoping only one hinge is necessary since I don't think I want the door falling over.

Thia also has no bonuses to strength so dc 14 is going to be interesting.

Thia; two attempts at the hinge: 2D20.HIGH(1) = [7, 18] = 18
2D20.HIGH(1) = [6, 19] = 19

Thia tries not to pay attention to Atallia as she distracts the guard. The pin rises from the hinge with ease and Thia thinks nothing can go wrong until she hears the distinct twang of an arrow being fired. She looks over at Atallia in fear but sees the arrow land outside the cell. Sweating now, Thia continues to pry at the hinge's pin when it comes free in her hand. Thia pushes at the lower edge of the door and with a soft scraping sound, the cell door is released from the lower hinge. She looks around to see how far she can push it without anyone on the bridge noticing the sway in the door. She whispers to Atallia, "Has the guard moved back to the guard house?"

OOC: if she answers in the affirmative, and assuming that if she crawls out of the door down low she cannot be seen from the guard house. From the map you hand drew, it looks like there's a low wall on the northeast end of the platform where the cell is situated. But now I've just seen the map you posted in RG and I'm less confident about this plan. There's no real cover outside the cell. Based on the new maps I'll make a stealth check:
Stealth Check:_: 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25

Thia wiggles her way through the opening and crawls slightly down the stairs toward the yugoloth's lair (not too close, just out of sight of the guard). She casts true strike to see if she is out of range of the spell suppression effect.

OOC: and if I've gone too far with this, I'll sadly edit it.

Remove ads