• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ethics of Killing POWs

S'mon

Legend
roguerouge said:
Deep background: This isn't the first time he's killed a helpless foe. In an early session of the campaign, his character splattered an unconscious ambusher. He got brought up on murder charges, but beat the rap.

OK, so killing unconscious attackers is considered murder in this setting? Even the Geneva Convention isn't that strict (per Geneva, once you accept the surrender of prisoners you must treat them well, but you're not obliged to accept a proferred surrender. Also AIR it only applies to State armies and guerilla forces wearing recognisable insignia). This is a long way from the typical D&D morality I'm familiar with, where killing the Sleeped attacker before he wakes up is standard practice. It's also a long way from what I remember of my army basic training - "Always shoot/bayonet the bodies, they may still be dangerous".

Rykion

Explorer
That wasn't an out of place action for the CN warlock. The lizardman chose to alert the guards. The guards are coming. The lizardman may be unconscious, but he could easily wake during the fight with the guards and be an immediate threat to the party. Lizardmen are known to eat other humanoids. I wouldn't even consider the warlock's actions out of place for a LG character.

S'mon

Legend
Rykion said:
I wouldn't even consider the warlock's actions out of place for a LG character.

I once had a LG PC in a Midnight campaign who killed a prisoner. He was human, too. He was a member of a gang of bandits serving the Shadow, and the circumstances were such I had to kill him if our rebel group was to have a chance of succeeding at our mission. The GM really played up the pathos of course, made the guy all fresh-faced and innocent. Made me feel really bad about it. There was no suggestion I was acting outside of LG alignment, though.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Rykion said:
That wasn't an out of place action for the CN warlock. The lizardman chose to alert the guards. The guards are coming. The lizardman may be unconscious, but he could easily wake during the fight with the guards and be an immediate threat to the party. Lizardmen are known to eat other humanoids. I wouldn't even consider the warlock's actions out of place for a LG character.

I second that.

Your DM should state if he expects 20th century morality or not.

roguerouge

First Post
S'mon said:
OK, so killing unconscious attackers is considered murder in this setting?

Well, to be clear, I wasn't in the campaign for that incident. Also, that was strictly non-military: a couple of cultists jumped the party. Finally, in real life, killing an assailant who's been rendered unconscious is going to spark a serious investigation in many jurisdictions. He got off fairly easily, although the corrupt police department was none too pleased about the judge's decision.

roguerouge

First Post
Jasperak said:
I second that.

Your DM should state if he expects 20th century morality or not.

DM's got nothing to do with it. (Hey, I'm not a paladin, so I'm not going to lose powers.) I'm asking for guidance on what view and what action I should take.

S'mon

Legend
roguerouge said:
Well, to be clear, I wasn't in the campaign for that incident. Also, that was strictly non-military: a couple of cultists jumped the party. Finally, in real life, killing an assailant who's been rendered unconscious is going to spark a serious investigation in many jurisdictions. He got off fairly easily, although the corrupt police department was none too pleased about the judge's decision.

Jurisdictions? This was in a city, not the wilderness? Obviously civilian law is different from military rules of engagement.

roguerouge

First Post
Right. There were two incidents of killing unconscious opponents. The first one occurred in a city jurisdiction, which is not our concern except as background and pattern of behavior. The second one was killing the unconscious lizard man who had raised the alarm while we were behind enemy lines. That's the incident I have to figure out my response for for next session.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
roguerouge said:
The POW was a lizardfolk who we had captured and healed.

Well, that’s a problem right there… you healed them. That not merely implies a connection, it creates a connection, ethically and emotionally.

roguerouge said:
Then our CN warlock blasts the unconscious prisoner with an eldritch blast.

Additional issues are that the mission had not been completed, and so there could have been logistical (tactical and strategic) use to be gained from the lizardfolk prisoner. Further, in combat the warlock is not fighting the forcing attacking the party, but at a target which was not posing a threat to the party, which reveals poor thinking in tactical terms.

But it sounds like you’re out of luck, as the rest of the group is content with this behavior. Maybe you should eave the group.

Severson

First Post
roguerouge said:
Any suggestions for what a LG character should do in response to killing the prisoner who gave us away?

Interesting post.

I have seen LG characters played in different ways, and quite effectively. Based on your phrasing it seems that you think there is only one proper LG response? is this so? What laws are applicable in the wilderness? What about the laws of survival? Do you care as much about the Lizard Man's life as you do about the Warlock's safety? Would the laws of the nearest city even have a civil rights section for lizard folk? If this is a situation of extreme danger, it seems to me any character, especially a Good one, would stick by his group of friends first and foremost.

Why is your LG character adventuring with CN Warlocks and Paladins turned evil? Is s/he hoping to positively influence them?

Just some thoughts.

Remove ads