• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evasion and Non-Traditional Breath Weapons

chengarino

First Post
A discussion in our gaming group. We know that Evasion allows a Monk/Rogue to avoid damage if he makes a reflex save against breath weapons whose ref save would half damage.

Does this same Evasion apply to breath weapons (whose successful reflex save):

(1) halves ability/level damage?
(2) lowers (but not halves) ability/level damage?

The talk in the group is no on both accounts. My PC has evasion, so I'm arguing up the 'yes' on both accounts. Was there a clarification on the rules somewhere in 'sage' or faq? or did we misread the core rules as stated?

chengarino

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
chengarino said:
Does this same Evasion apply to breath weapons (whose successful reflex save):

(1) halves ability/level damage?

Yes. From the FAQ...

Do the evasion and improved evasion abilities apply
when a shadow dragon breathes on a character? My DM
said no because the breath weapon does not deal direct hit
point damage, and there is no save for half damage.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbspEvasion and improved evasion work anytime a character
must make a Reflex save to halve an effect, including that of
shadow dragon breath. Most descriptions of these abilities
specifically mention saves for half damage, but that language
is not intended to restrict evasion or improved evasion to
effects that deal hit point damage.

chengarino said:
(2) lowers (but not halves) ability/level damage?

Can you give an example?

Last edited:

chengarino

First Post
Re: Re: Evasion and Non-Traditional Breath Weapons

kreynolds said:

Can you give an example?

Nope. We're playing the adventure now and i'm not looking the monster up. :) Frankly, my PC doesn't know quite what hit him.

Needless to say, when the PC does a successful ref save, there's still a level damage but it's not half.

chengarino

RigaMortus2

First Post
I'd say, if it allows a Reflex save, you can use Evasion.

Edit - Unless under the effect (or creature using the breath weapon) it specifically says otherwise.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Evasion and Non-Traditional Breath Weapons

chengarino said:
Frankly, my PC doesn't know quite what hit him.

If it makes you feel any better, even _I_ don't know what hit you. I've never heard of a breath weapon...

chengarino said:
Needless to say, when the PC does a successful ref save, there's still a level damage but it's not half.

...like this. Sounds like some homebrew stuff. Anyways, Evasion specifically states "Reflex saving throw for half damage". By the exact wording of the rules, evasion wouldn't apply if half damage wasn't the result of a successful Reflex save.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I belive there is some kind of Shadow Dragon that causes level loss.

There is. It's in MoF. A successful Reflex save will reduce the negative levels by half, so evasion would still apply.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Negative levels are a type of damage (see the definition of damage in the PHB glossary, I believe). That's why evasion works if you're making a reflex save to take half as many of them. It's not actually a special case or anything.

Anything that isn't a reflex save for half damage, evasion doesn't apply. It just doesn't matter what type of damage (e.g. hit points, negative levels, ability) is involved.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Dr_Rictus said:
Negative levels are a type of damage (see the definition of damage in the PHB glossary, I believe). That's why evasion works if you're making a reflex save to take half as many of them. It's not actually a special case or anything.

Anything that isn't a reflex save for half damage, evasion doesn't apply. It just doesn't matter what type of damage (e.g. hit points, negative levels, ability) is involved.

Your assertion conflicts with the FAQ entry posted above. The FAQ states that evasion kicks in "anytime a character
must make a Reflex save to halve an effect". Damage has nothing to do with it.

Darklone

The description of evasion says that you get out of the way of the effect (obviously even if that effect fills a volume,... :D).

Thus no damage at all if you make the save.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads