D&D General Ever overhear someone talking about D&D outside of a gameshop/con/etc?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Not D&D exactly, but close:

Walking to office in downtown Chicago, I see a 19-20 something woman wearing a jester backpack (critical role). So as I'm passing I say " Nice Jester backpack." The look of utter shock on her face, likely from hearing these words from a middle aged guy in a suit, was hilarious.
Had something similar happen with a girl wearing coat with a critical role patch on it.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The used bookstore I used to frequent when I was a kid (70's - 80's) was run by two "old guys" with long hair and mustaches who would regularly peruse the 1E PHB while behind the counter. I remember ten-year-old me thinking "That's a kid's game!" :LOL:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I used to have a Red Box t-shirt.

One day when I was waiting at the downtown bus station on the outbound bus to go home, the guy who owned the Thunder Dogs hot dog stand saw my shirt and asked if I played D&D. I said "yes" and he went on to say that both he and his wife of 40 years played D&D and that it's how they met. That was cool.

Much less cool was the time when I was wearing that shirt and a lady manning the register at Walgreen's asked me if I'd seen that "Tom Hanks movie" and that "It showed what D&D is really like!" - I just responded that, yes, I had seen it and that Tom Hanks was "a fine actor".

J-H

Hero
The accounting manager at work had his 5e PHB sitting out on his desk a couple of years ago. I think the group he was playing with fell apart due to somebody being a jerk, though.

Remove ads