D&D 5E Evil characters material not going to be in the PHB

Should evil character material be in the PHB or out?

• All of it or as much as possible should be in the PHB

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • A mix: some of it in the PHB, some of it in the DMG

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • All of it or as much as possible should be in the DMG

Votes: 65 43.0%

Scorpio616

First Post
Agree on page count. Tweak the margins or crop some art, If they are letting the god damned bean counters pick the page count, instead of having as many pages are necessary {to the nearest 16], then it looks like WotC will be saving me the price of the book.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
That would be great if it happened all the time.

Unfortunately for Ansalon, Tracy forgot that Lawful Stupid wasn't good, and hence Krynn got stoned (like literally).

Granted it's been a couple of decades since i read the books...but I'mmmmm pretty sure that it is because Lawful Stupid wasn't good that Krynn got stoned.

GreyLord

Legend
Granted it's been a couple of decades since i read the books...but I'mmmmm pretty sure that it is because Lawful Stupid wasn't good that Krynn got stoned.

I wish that were the fact, but officially, they use it as a prime example of why there has to be balance and that balance between good and evil maintained. Basically, they state that when the balance swings so that Good is so far off the scale...it caused the cataclysm. Yep...that's right...Lawful Stupid made slavery, committed genocide, and caused Ansalon to have itself suffer a nigh apocalypse.

ONE of the more foolish treatments of someone's flawed outlook on what Lawful Good actually means.

PS: Now it may be they've retro'd it to be that it now was simply the Kingpriest trying to attain Godhead and his pride, but originally it was a balance issue and used to show what happens when GOOD is so prevalent and has squashed evil...aka...their interpretation of Lawful Stupid...Lawful Good causing genocide, theft, poverty and slavery...

Last edited:

I wish that were the fact, but officially, they use it as a prime example of why there has to be balance and that balance between good and evil maintained. Basically, they state that when the balance swings so that Good is so far off the scale...it caused the cataclysm. Yep...that's right...Lawful Stupid made slavery, committed genocide, and caused Ansalon to have itself suffer a nigh apocalypse.

ONE of the more foolish treatments of someone's flawed outlook on what Lawful Good actually means.

PS: Now it may be they've retro'd it to be that it now was simply the Kingpriest trying to attain Godhead and his pride, but originally it was a balance issue and used to show what happens when GOOD is so prevalent and has squashed evil...aka...their interpretation of Lawful Stupid...Lawful Good causing genocide, theft, poverty and slavery...
Well, there's a simple explanation for that. When a situation is getting better, then the situation is getting worse. In useful addition, freedom is slavery, slavery is freedom, and truth and lies are indistinguishable. This is a sarcasm tag.

The sociological examinations 1984, Animal Farm, and Harrison Bergeron should be required reading in schools.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Regarding page count: there's a little game called Pathfinder that seems to be doing well enough these days, yet its basic rulebook is big enough and heavy enough to kill bears with.

It's also a different animal, AND it's MSRP is $50. No way that flies for the PHB for an entirely new version of the game where they are trying to get maximum exposure in the marketplace. They're trying to get a bunch of new players along with the old players, and scaling down the basic game, not scare off the new players with a massive tome.

S

Sunseeker

It's also a different animal, AND it's MSRP is $50. No way that flies for the PHB for an entirely new version of the game where they are trying to get maximum exposure in the marketplace. They're trying to get a bunch of new players along with the old players, and scaling down the basic game, not scare off the new players with a massive tome.

I'd rather people were forced to read Das Capital than the Manifesto. While the former is somewhat verbose, the latter is vague, unspecific, and generally useless as anything other than a propaganda too.

So if we're going to make a rule book, I'd rather it be a little hefty than slim. Page-count wise even at $50, the Pathfinder rule books give you more bang for your buck than the 3.5 or 4e core books.

I'd rather people were forced to read Das Capital than the Manifesto. While the former is somewhat verbose, the latter is vague, unspecific, and generally useless as anything other than a propaganda too.

So if we're going to make a rule book, I'd rather it be a little hefty than slim. Page-count wise even at $50, the Pathfinder rule books give you more bang for your buck than the 3.5 or 4e core books.
I may get flamed for this.

People who post on role-playing game boards are not the core of the hobby. Ninety-nine percent of the hobby never posts on role-playing game forums. The tiny segment of the hobby (out of millions) who post on game boards are those who are dedicated enough to spend large portions of their time discussing the hobby.

That's not a core audience. That's a fringe group.

The fringe group for whom the choice between reading a three-hundred page textbook, or playing Monopoly, is not a meaningful decision.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

My comment was not about bang for buck. I have nothing against the Pathfinder core book, but it's not the same thing. Pathfinder was, at least initially, aimed at existing 3e players, as essentially a re-edit and expansion on that existing popular game. It's coverage was also different from a PHB.

Remember, Pathfinder grew out of a game which, at it's initial release, was a $20 PHB (3.0 PHB), that was substantially smaller in size. And it was a huge hit - in no small part because it was so inexpensive and accessible.

They want the first PHB to be very accessible to new players, as well as something existing players will want. You do that with a less expensive book, that isn't huge.

Last edited:

Remove ads