• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil Fighter

LiL KiNG

First Post
A PrC for two weapon fighting and scimitars? That screams dervish to me!

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Light armor, twf/over-sized twf, weapon finesse and improved weapon finesse if your DM will allow it. Could be a mean build.

Pitspawned armor (from PHBII I think) damages people that hurt you (bypasses DR if I recall right too) and fluff/roleplay-wise 'good' creatures have a hard time looking at it.

Meadyaon

First Post
That's kinda what I was thinking as well. Light armor, twf/over-sized twf, weapon finesse and improved weapon finesse if your DM will allow it. Could be a mean build.

Pitspawned armor (from PHBII I think) damages people that hurt you (bypasses DR if I recall right too) and fluff/roleplay-wise 'good' creatures have a hard time looking at it.
I was thinking the same with him.

Since I am going with light armor then what would be my best option armor wise then?

In the end it will depend on your dex modifier. However, you're going to want to look at things like mithral (DMG), elven darkleaf (A&EG), and blue ice (FB). All of those will drop armor down a category (Medium armor becomes light armor) and adds to maximum dex mod. Of those, you're probably best off with a mithral breastplate.

IIRC you can add the nimble enchantment as well to your armor to get an additional +1 for your armor's dex mod.

Celestial armor allows for a huge dex mod (+8!) and oddly doesn't have any non-evil caveats to it.

And if all else fails, you can always grab bracers of armor.

Depending on how many feats you need/want, you could go down the two weapon defense tree as well. An animated shield would also work. You just have to balance your feats versus how much money you have to spend.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If you're going to wear light armor and plan to go Dervish, which requires the Mobility feat, consider the Mobility armor enhancement. It's in Magic Item Compendium and possibly some older book, too. Basically just gives you the Mobility feat. Has a +1 enhancement cost. Saving feats is nice.

Also look into the Elusive Target feat in C.Warrior if going Dervish, you're basically required to take all of its pre-reqs to enter dervish anyway, and that feat kicks ass.

Quoted for truth! Do NOT go down that feat tree!

Meadyaon

First Post
How many of my total amount of feats would be taken up by TWF feats and the feats needed to enter the Dervish Prestige Class? Would taking level(s) of Rogue help or hinder my character?

What do you mean by the following? Do NOT go down that feat tree!

How many of my total amount of feats would be taken up by TWF feats and the feats needed to enter the Dervish Prestige Class? Would taking level(s) of Rogue help or hinder my character?

Two weapon fighting requires 3 feats to get the full benefit (Normal, improved, greater). Dervish requires a total of 4 feats to qualify along with some skill ranks and a base attack bonus of +5.

In terms of two weapon defense, some people would argue that the feats are not worth it since you can purchase an animated shield that would grant a +3 bonus, allow for other enhancements, and would spare you feats for other things.

The biggest question is how much cash do you have? How many spare feats? How do you picture your fighter? Does he deflect each blow with his blades or does a shield magically interpose itself? Does he even use a shield at all? Two weapon defense requires 3 feats to get the full benefit (Normal, improved, greater) versus a +1 animated shield (+3 total cost). The defense tree does have the small benefit that if you fight defensively your "shield" bonus doubles. A +3 magic shield may not seem like much, but you're going to be also getting other magic items, enhancing your armor and TWO weapons. Your weapons are going to be very large gold sinks.

Again, you have to weigh your feats vs your gp and in the end, its a matter of personal taste and you should go with how you imagine your character. I don't see anything wrong with two weapon defense, but as we've seen there are others that disagree with me.

As for going rogue, you'll save on skill points but you're going to miss out on the hit points, base attack bonus and bonus feats. I don't know if you'll reliably be able to set up flanks for sneak attack either. Scout from Complete Adventurer gives you some nice benefits if you move which synergies with dervish but you don't get proficiency with scimitars, something you've said you wanted to use. You'll need a high int to pick up Combat Expertise (a pre-req for Dervish) so I would probably go straight fighter and cross-class your skill points into tumble and perform.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

Dervish needs 4 feats to enter. One, Mobility, can be gained from the armor enhancement I mentioned to save you a feat.

TWF is ultimately 3 feats long.

Two Weapon Defense is a horrible set of feats. The bonus is tiny for each feat spent, and as Grogg himself said, an animated shield will eventually obsolete them. Even if you can't get or don't want a floaty shield, the Improved Buckler Defense feat is plainly superior, too! At least once you start magically enhancing the buckler.

Rogue can help. For one thing, there is the Martial Rogue, aka "feat rogue." Which you can actually multiclass w/ Fighter 1 or 2 to maximize feat gain. Even regular rogue is nice for 4 levels to get uncanny dodge and such.

Rogue 4 / Fighter 2 is a perfectly decent way to go towards entering Dervish. Your sneak attack will be small if not doing feat rogue, but it's still some extra damage, and just having sneak attack can open doors. Like the Craven feat, which just straight up adds your hit die amount (ie, 6 at rogue 4 / fighter 2) to sneak attack damage. Or Staggering Strike feat, which forces a save vs. staggered every time you do melee sneak attack damage.

Do note that Dervish, upon giving Spring Attack, means you are well set up to grab Whirlwind Attack. Now, normally WWA sucks... But a Dervish can use her dance to move and full attack along the move. WWA is a full attack action. It's just so awesome! Of course, you're doing TWF, and WWA is much better suited to a single, 2H weapon...
You also should absolutely be getting Elusive Target. It ups your survival by a lot, and if you obtain Improved Trip, you can generate a LOT of extra attacks w/ Cause Overreach -- neither the trip it grants nor the bonus attack improved trip grants are attacks of opportunity, so you have no real limit to how many you can gain in a turn.

Feats you'll want:
All Dervish pre-reqs
TWF, ITWF, and GTWF
Elusive Target

Feats you might want depending on exact build/plans/hopes and dreams:
Craven
Staggering Strike
Whirlwind Attack
Deadly Defense
Improved Trip

Meadyaon

First Post
Dervish needs 4 feats to enter. One, Mobility, can be gained from the armor enhancement I mentioned to save you a feat.

TWF is ultimately 3 feats long.

Two Weapon Defense is a horrible set of feats. The bonus is tiny for each feat spent, and as Grogg himself said, an animated shield will eventually obsolete them. Even if you can't get or don't want a floaty shield, the Improved Buckler Defense feat is plainly superior, too! At least once you start magically enhancing the buckler.

Rogue can help. For one thing, there is the Martial Rogue, aka "feat rogue." Which you can actually multiclass w/ Fighter 1 or 2 to maximize feat gain. Even regular rogue is nice for 4 levels to get uncanny dodge and such.

Rogue 4 / Fighter 2 is a perfectly decent way to go towards entering Dervish. Your sneak attack will be small if not doing feat rogue, but it's still some extra damage, and just having sneak attack can open doors. Like the Craven feat, which just straight up adds your hit die amount (ie, 6 at rogue 4 / fighter 2) to sneak attack damage. Or Staggering Strike feat, which forces a save vs. staggered every time you do melee sneak attack damage.

Do note that Dervish, upon giving Spring Attack, means you are well set up to grab Whirlwind Attack. Now, normally WWA sucks... But a Dervish can use her dance to move and full attack along the move. WWA is a full attack action. It's just so awesome! Of course, you're doing TWF, and WWA is much better suited to a single, 2H weapon...
You also should absolutely be getting Elusive Target. It ups your survival by a lot, and if you obtain Improved Trip, you can generate a LOT of extra attacks w/ Cause Overreach -- neither the trip it grants nor the bonus attack improved trip grants are attacks of opportunity, so you have no real limit to how many you can gain in a turn.

Feats you'll want:
All Dervish pre-reqs
TWF, ITWF, and GTWF
Elusive Target

Feats you might want depending on exact build/plans/hopes and dreams:
Craven
Staggering Strike
Whirlwind Attack
Deadly Defense
Improved Trip
I am going to male him a Fighter/Rogue so I can get Evasion, Sneak Attack, and Uncanny Dodge. Would going to level seven as Rogue be a good thing. I was thinking that Sneak attack +4d6 ,might be a good think for him. Would getting 11th or greater as a fighter be to much? I would like him to be able to attack attack three times per round.

Would getting the Weapon Focus Feats (Scimitar) help out? I know I want Whirlwind Attack but is Combat Expertise all the great? I read up on it but I not sure if it would be used that much. Is Combat Reflexes and Power Attack any good? When would be the best time to get Improved Initiative? Should I take the TWF feat right when I can take them? Where can I find the feats Craven, Staggering Strike, Deadly Defense, and Elusive Target?

Should I get any feats relate flight since I want him to have the Winged Temple starting out unless there is a better template to give that does change him from being a human?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads