• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil Fighter

Would being able to rage twice per day help me out with two-weapon fighting and when I become dervish?

Not really actually. As a dervish, your thing is that you can dance around the battlefield attacking. The dervish cannot rage while dancing.

So while you cannot combine the two, it would be something else in your repertoire. Conceptually, though, it doesn't make sense to me. A fighter that is elegant and moves with deadly grace suddenly starts foaming at the mouth and swinging with all his might. But its your character and, as I've argued previously, you should go with your gut.

Most dervishes I've seen played are usually straight fighter due to all the feats needed/wanted. Scout would net you skill points, uncanny dodge, skirmish and a few bonus feats.

Meadyaon

First Post
I get what you are say about making him a Barbarian and being a dervish. I wanted another class besides Fighter to help out my character. This character is a PC. Do you think combat expertise would be used that much?

Why do you need Dodge to be a Dervish? I do not think that Dodge is all that great.

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
I get what you are say about making him a barbarian and being a dervish. I wanted another class besides figheter to help out my character. This character is a PC. Do you think combat expertise would be used that much?
Combat Expertise is a qualifying feat and it makes certain features of other feats easier to use. Often they require fight defensively which limits options and a -4 to attack for only a +2 AC. As a dervish you get an untyped attack and damage bonus with slashing weapons. They are lightly armored fighters so having some extra AC on tap isn't bad to have.
It can be bad when you already have MAD and you just can't make use of many skills fortunately Unearthed Arcana offered the Passive Way monk giving combat expertise and improved trip the first two levels.

Meadyaon

First Post
Is there any other class I can be beside Fighter that would help me out? I saw Swashbuckler 3; Scout 1-7; Totemist 2; and Warblade X;as chooses besides Fighter to chose that would help out the Dervish PrC on the Dervish Handbook.

Does anyone know of a good site on the Swashbuckler?

Last edited:

emoplato

First Post
Is there any other class I can be beside Fighter that would help me out? I saw Swashbuckler 3; Scout 1-7; Totemist 2; and Warblade X;as chooses besides Fighter to chose that would help out the Dervish PrC on the Dervish Handbook.
The fighter 2 basically helps you qualify for it the fastest and with breathing because a human fighter the first three levels would have 5 feats without flaws, 7 with.
Well, each of those are meant to bring different things on different builds. Swashbuckler for ones that want to dump strength for dexterity and intelligence. Scout is for extra damage die to your attacks because you move during your full attack. Totemist is a way to avoid the two-weapon fighting feat line because they have a totem bind that actually gives more attacks than the four combined.
What does the rest of you party have for characters? I think you are being too dependent on this vision and not realizing what your party may need or like.

Last edited:

I get what you are say about making him a Barbarian and being a dervish. I wanted another class besides Fighter to help out my character. This character is a PC. Do you think combat expertise would be used that much?

Why do you need Dodge to be a Dervish? I do not think that Dodge is all that great.

Dervishes get an ability called Elaborate Parry. When fighting defensively, they get an extra +4 to AC. Now it's sorta implied (at least I think it is) that if you use combat expertise and take a -2 to hit, you can be considered as fighting defensively. A lot of the later 3.5 books even specifically state "When fighting defensively or using combat expertise....". So for a -2 to hit, you would gain a +6 AC. Ask your DM about it.

As for classes, I've always liked a simple approach and I'd argue that you either go straight fighter, straight scout, or some sort of fighter/X multiclass. Nothing too fancy though. What is your group's feeling on dipping? I've been in groups where it was perfectly fine and others where dipping for only a few levels was a grievous offense.

Meadyaon

First Post
All of the characters in my group are first level. One player is a Barbarian, another player is Swashbuckler, another is Sorcerer, another is a Druid, and another is a Cleric of Olidammara. They fine with dipping.

emoplato

First Post
All of the characters in my group are first level. One player is a Barbarian, another player is Swashbuckler, another is Sorcerer, another is a Druid, and another is a Cleric of Olidammara. They fine with dipping.
Okay likely you don't want to stomp on your fighting characters. The barbarian is likely to play the brute charger and the Swashbuckler may aim for a daring outlaw build. I would say look into tripping and White Raven maneuvers. I know this may not be in your view but the other two/three are likely going to be your strikers. If you can be the mobile enabler that trips and sets up every one for flanking/charging they will love you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads