TSR Example from the worst TSR adventure module(s) ever published

Filcher

First Post
See, now I need to pick up a copy of Patriots. Another sale, Anthony! Where should I send the royalties?

Besides, in all seriousness: you wrote for Greyhawk in the TSR years. That is awesome +5. Who cares what anyone else says.

That said, at least "PoU" was better than "Forest Oracle..."

Anthony Pryor
(aka ssspaladin)
Wait, I'm very confused.

I thought Erik brought up Patriots of Ulek because it was also written by Carl Smith, whose work on The Forest Oracle we were mocking. Now I find out that Patriots of Ulek is actually by Anthony Pryor.

I demand a full Congressional investigation! *pounds on table*

I must know the proper person to mock.

(You guys know we're just joking around, right? I have gotten more enjoyment out of The Forest Oracle -- both playing it and in this thread -- than I have out of 90% of my other D&D products.)

Ulrick

First Post
Yep. My copy of Patriots of Ulek says Anthony Pryor is the author.

However, the Terry Phillips was in charge of editing. So maybe he can share some of the blame for that page long boxed text on page 3, page 12, and a lesser extent on page 27... ;)

A few positive notes--
I think Patriots of Ulek nicely builts up to the climactic battle at the end. The PCs have to hold a flank at the Battle of Prinzfield. The module even includes a Battlesystem Scenario.

ssspaladin

Explorer
Anthony, if it makes you feel any better, I was much younger when I wrote that review, too! :)

And I didn't think Rary the Traitor was _that_ bad.

I mean, aside from the blue dragon named "Volt," that is. I used the poster map a lot, at least... ;)

--Erik

*snort* I think I was emulating a GM friend of mine who'd called his red dragon "Scorch" -- though naming an electric creature "Volt" in a world where Alessandro Volta never existed does kind of beggar comprehension...

ssspaladin

Explorer
Yep. My copy of Patriots of Ulek says Anthony Pryor is the author.

However, the Terry Phillips was in charge of editing. So maybe he can share some of the blame for that page long boxed text on page 3, page 12, and a lesser extent on page 27... ;)

A few positive notes--
I think Patriots of Ulek nicely builts up to the climactic battle at the end. The PCs have to hold a flank at the Battle of Prinzfield. The module even includes a Battlesystem Scenario.

Yeah, that would be me -- IIRC the boxed text that describes the battle (yes, more boxed text telling the PCs what happened instead of letting them do anything) was an account of how the playtest actually went. While we were playtesting, one of my friends playfully threw a beanbag at me, hit me in the face, dislodged my glasses and knocked me out of my chair.

*memories...*

And I'm checking out the forums while taking a break from writing on a new Paizo product, so in the end it was all worth it :)

Ulrick

First Post
Yeah, that would be me -- IIRC the boxed text that describes the battle (yes, more boxed text telling the PCs what happened instead of letting them do anything) was an account of how the playtest actually went. While we were playtesting, one of my friends playfully threw a beanbag at me, hit me in the face, dislodged my glasses and knocked me out of my chair.

*memories...*

And I'm checking out the forums while taking a break from writing on a new Paizo product, so in the end it was all worth it :)

Awesome.

And actually, now that I've become re-acquainted with Patriots of Ulek, it really isn't that bad of a module. Its meant "specifically for beginning players and dungeon masters" and DMs are encouraged to use their own words instead of the boxed text. Would beginning players and DMs understand the concept of "railroading?" Or would they have the confidence to describe a pitched battle (never mind that the characters are levels 1-3 and would likely die if they were in the center)?

I notice that a lot of Basic D&D modules from that time have lots of boxed text (Eye of Traldar, Dymrak Dread, The Silver Sword, etc.)

Was this a requirement from TSR?

ssspaladin

Explorer
Awesome.

And actually, now that I've become re-acquainted with Patriots of Ulek, it really isn't that bad of a module. Its meant "specifically for beginning players and dungeon masters" and DMs are encouraged to use their own words instead of the boxed text. Would beginning players and DMs understand the concept of "railroading?" Or would they have the confidence to describe a pitched battle (never mind that the characters are levels 1-3 and would likely die if they were in the center)?

I notice that a lot of Basic D&D modules from that time have lots of boxed text (Eye of Traldar, Dymrak Dread, The Silver Sword, etc.)

Was this a requirement from TSR?

Actually I don't recall it being a hard-and-fast requirement, but since everyone else was doing it, we followed suit. It was an example of a good practice getting worn out by overuse and becoming a major tool in the "railroad the players" arsenal. I recall the early Dragonlance adventures being particularly egregious in this regard -- your only real choice was apparently to act out the novels page for page.

Remove ads