D&D (2024) Exhaustion

Horwath

Legend
As I mentioned earlier, I don't like it. It was a rule that made players pay attention to the exploration pillar. And if it's supposed be a pillar that important rather than hand-waved away, then why neuter the one thing that made it important? With the existing rule, PCs paid attention and made decisions around it. With only a -1 penalty? It's hardly much of an impact any longer. Not only will PCs not balk at getting a level of exhaustion, they won't mind too much to get two or three levels before worrying about it too much.
It was unbalanced towards various classes.

IF you were some dumb fighter with 4 skills total or a spellcaster, you would not care for exhaustion level 1.

If you were Scout Rogue or similar heavy skill build, you might just got to sleep as you got hammered by 1 level of exhaustion.

this affects all characters almost the same.

Lojaan

Hero
As I mentioned earlier, I don't like it. It was a rule that made players pay attention to the exploration pillar. And if it's supposed be a pillar that important rather than hand-waved away, then why neuter the one thing that made it important? With the existing rule, PCs paid attention and made decisions around it. With only a -1 penalty? It's hardly much of an impact any longer. Not only will PCs not balk at getting a level of exhaustion, they won't mind too much to get two or three levels before worrying about it too much.
Looks like you are getting 'exploration' mixed up with 'travel'. They are very different things.

Old exhaustion was too much of a hindrance so there was never a choice. It was always bad. With this version, you gamble. You take one or two levels thinking it'll be ok and you are gambling on your ability to get rests in later to clear it (you may not get the opportunity). When the penalty hits -3 you are in real trouble.

Also with just a -1 penalty, it allows DMs to hit players with exhaustion a lot more as a warning without crippling the party.

But that is just my opinion. I think this version will get used a lot. The previous one I never saw in play.

It's worth noting that, barring the need to make a spellcasting ability check for dispel magic or counterspell, exhaustion was not as punishing for dedicated casters as it was for melee types.

The new model actually affects them right from the outset by cutting down on saving throw DCs.

I do think adding the slowed condition somewhere in there would make sense. Probably about halfway.

Remove ads