• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Expectations/gamer courtesy

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Gamer since 1977...

Been in groups where people bring stuff to share, been in groups where people supply themselves only, and been in groups where nobody brings anything except books & dice...and sometimes not that (for certain, usually casual, players).

Basically, I have a little more unencumbered cash than most of my compatriots, so I spread the weath around a little.

For those who lack die, I have the "Bucket 'O Dice" a big plastic container of all kinds of gaming die, collected over all years of gaming, including BTW, my original set of purple "color them yourself" die. Need something? Reach & Roll, baby.

For those who lack books, I usually have a couple copies of the core player books for the games we play the most, or that I consider most worthy. As such, I have 2 HERO 5th, 2 Mutants & Masterminds (1st, revised, 2nd Ed), 2 Arcana Unearthed, and at least 2 of each PHB from 1st-3.5 Editions of D&D.

On food...sometimes I bring stuff to share, especially during the holidays or after some event that has particularly good leftovers.

A previous group (in Austin) handled it by stopping and ordering food from a sub shop or by going to McCleskie's, then returning to the gaming.

My current group is hosted at 2-3 houses, with the hosts supplying booze & drinks, and occasionally, snacks. There isn't much mooching because most people grab drive-through on the way to the game. When I host, however, my fridge is open. (Of course, game night is also the night before garbage pick-up, so if you want to play fridge roulette, its your call...) If they complain about the lack of jellybeans or whatever, I tell them I couldnt' afford them that week, "so tough." Some of the nicer guys have taken to bringing big bottles of drink or 24 packs of beer, etc.

If its REALLY an issue for you, take a few minutes before the next session and discuss it. If you're always the host, its not unreasonable to expect the group to give SOMETHING back, especially if your resources are being stretched a bit too thin by hosting.

Once you set a standard, though, stick to it.

ThirdWizard

First Post
We don't snack at all. No chips, no soda, no nothing. It's just never come up. I've maybe once or twice in a few years seen someone pull out one of those small bags of chips because they skipped lunch or something, but that's about it. If the game goes really long we'll take a break and get some dinner, then back to gaming. Sometimes we drink a soda from the host, but usually ice water if we're thirsty.

As for the dice/books issue, I have only one player with either out of the four who I've gamed with frequently. Well, one guy has a d20, but other than that, its my bucket of dice if you need to roll and pass around the books if you want them. It's never been a problem, since we rerely use the books anyway.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
My group plays exclusively at the main DM's house for the simple fact that he has an old storefront that we co-opted as our gaming room because it has plenty of room to fit the- sometimes- 12 or so people that show up to play.
Every week, the DM's wife makes dinner for the group (spaghetti, chili, stew, soup... something inexpensive) and most of the players will shell out a couple of bucks to help out. If they don't, there is no mention. Other times we order out for pizza (Dominoes 3 for $15 deal) where everyone that can pitches in. If someone is short that week, no challenge.
It is also an unspoken (basically) rule that if you bring something, you share it. The main (and only) rule is to respect the other players, and the DM's house and family (which is no challenge, because most of the adults have kids that hang out with the other kids on game night). If there is a challenge, the three of uis that are defacto in charge (the three most experienced players... all of whom DM) get together with the offending player and discuss the issue. It has never gotten past that stage, because we all treat each other with respect, and demand the same from everyone.
From playing, literally, all over the world when I was a Marine, I have found that most groups were very similar, where people brought for themselves, or there was a communal stash. It all comes down to respect and setting the group regulations that everyone needs to foolw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads