D&D 5E Explainable multiclassing

Arial Black

Adventurer
I pretty much agree with the entire post, except that i sort of have an alternative interpretation for the 1st level. You see, as it makes no sense at all to me that years of practice accumulate to lvl 1 adventurer, but the local militia is composed of lvl3 guards, the marshal's deputies are lvl 5 rangers, and the local city watch is lvl7 fighters, i prefer to see at the levels of experience as just that..... levels of experience. When one gains a level, he or she doesn't learn anything new per se, they just find a way how to mechanically (META) express what they are no capable of doing. I.E. all PC's are actually the lvl20 versions of themselves from the very start, it's just that their full potential is locked at the start. This IMO allows for much more rich and varied character to roam the planes then what can be achieved with the PHB basic classes alone.

Exactly! And the 20 levels that will eventually be unlocked could just as easily be 6 of one class and 14 of another as they could be 20 levels of one class. It makes just as much (or as little) sense.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't require months of down time to level up, but that whatever the requirement is, it should apply no matter what class you want to take the new level in. If the Ftr 2 has to take six months to learn to be a Ftr 3, then I won't complain about my Ftr 2 having to take six months to be a Ftr 2/Wiz 1.

However, if I have to take six months and he doesn't, then this is inconsistent with the idea of having to train to gain (or unlock) new abilities, because every level in every class gives you new abilities, and it's totally arbitrary to give single class PCs a free ride while punishing MC PCs.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Does it make sense? Look, the core classes are deep, you can have fun playing them. But if they were coins dropped on an index card there are places between that multiclassing can help envision. Even if it's something like simple like "a paladin who's a bit less martial and a bit more holy".

Also it can make sense if you are changing career or picking up things from other characters. Learned a bit of woodcraft and pick up a level or two of ranger, go ahead.

Something way out though I'd like an explanation, but that explanation can be fine with reskinning. You playing a battlemaster and want to present the bard class as a marshal who can lead troops, go ahead.

I haven't had a player come to me (or been that guy myself) who wants something way out of left field that breaks character concept.

Remove ads