D&D 5E Exploits, Martial Cantrips

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Do you plan to do something similar for Monks, or perhaps give them access to exploits as part of Martial Arts or something?

Stormonu

Legend
You mentioned possibly replacing Extra Attack with these exploits - have you considered making Extra Attack an exploit, for those times you might want to split attacks against multiple opponents (lackeys/minions) instead of focusing on one target?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Do you plan to do something similar for Monks, or perhaps give them access to exploits as part of Martial Arts or something?
I'm thinking about creating martial arts styles, just some notes with an idea at the moment but I'm not 100% certain how I'm going to do it. I think it will use similar ideas from what I have here but tie some exploits and stances together. With the monk it also provides an opportunity to tie in spending ki to enhance their style exploits.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You mentioned possibly replacing Extra Attack with these exploits - have you considered making Extra Attack an exploit, for those times you might want to split attacks against multiple opponents (lackeys/minions) instead of focusing on one target?
I'm currently planning on leaving extra attack in the game but you have an option of using one these instead of your regular attacks when using the attack option. I think there are times when attacking twice would be a better use of your action rather than using an exploit.

Stormonu

Legend
Will you be expanding the exploits to add more hit + carrier effects? Perhaps additional ones to fill out the various weapon traits?

Example:

Bludgeoning adding "stun"-like effects (perhaps starting with negating reactions and eventually moving up to 1 round of stun?
Slashing adding bleeding effects?
Piercing doing stapling/impaling effects?
Versatile doing switch-off strikes (initial hit two-handed, with a quick follow-up one-handed stroke)
One-handed attacks that allow other actions to be performed with the free hand?
Two-weapon strike + parry effects or "double strike" hits?
Overreach attacks or attacks through friendly spaces for spears and polearms?
Multi-strikes for Light weapons (emulating repeatedly and swiftly stabbing someone with a knife, for example)?

I'm thinking about creating martial arts styles, just some notes with an idea at the moment but I'm not 100% certain how I'm going to do it. I think it will use similar ideas from what I have here but tie some exploits and stances together. With the monk it also provides an opportunity to tie in spending ki to enhance their style exploits.
Thematically there is no reason for monks not to be able to use similar martial arts exploits as fighters use, outside of those that take advantage or use armour or shields. Plus as you say, they can get some directly supernatural exploits that wouldn't fit with the more martial martial arts of the fighter.
Definitely as feats, but possibly by swapping out other monk combat abilities. Maybe even a subclass dedicated to using them would work.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Will you be expanding the exploits to add more hit + carrier effects? Perhaps additional ones to fill out the various weapon traits?

Example:

Bludgeoning adding "stun"-like effects (perhaps starting with negating reactions and eventually moving up to 1 round of stun?
Slashing adding bleeding effects?
Piercing doing stapling/impaling effects?
Versatile doing switch-off strikes (initial hit two-handed, with a quick follow-up one-handed stroke)
One-handed attacks that allow other actions to be performed with the free hand?
Two-weapon strike + parry effects or "double strike" hits?
Overreach attacks or attacks through friendly spaces for spears and polearms?
Multi-strikes for Light weapons (emulating repeatedly and swiftly stabbing someone with a knife, for example)?
I am thinking of some additional effects. I need to adapt some more of my original ideas (well, 4e ideas). I have a couple like fading strike (hit the target and they can't make opportunity attacks against you) and parry (+2 AC against the first attack against you). Parry in the old system allowed you to spend additional attacks to defend yourself against more attacks. Brash Strike allowed you to hit with advantage, add your Constitution modifier to the damage if making an attack with an axe, hammer, or mace, but in turn the first attack roll against you has advantage. I need to update and compare these with the exploits I've already created.

I did also have twin Strike which was a multiattack that didn't add your ability bonus to damage but allowed you to make an extra attack. It would be similar to feather the target but with multiple targets which might be why I haven't updated it yet.

Forgot to mention, I have created an exploit called break the charge, not sure why I didn't post it. It's essentially a weapon version of ray of frost used with bows and thrown weapons. I also have some higher level exploits that I'm not sure about which have additional effects. I do like your ideas here, I may incorporate some of them.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Thematically there is no reason for monks not to be able to use similar martial arts exploits as fighters use, outside of those that take advantage or use armour or shields. Plus as you say, they can get some directly supernatural exploits that wouldn't fit with the more martial martial arts of the fighter.
Definitely as feats, but possibly by swapping out other monk combat abilities. Maybe even a subclass dedicated to using them would work.
I'm actually tempted to create a single exploit for each subclass as a way to further differentiate different monk subclasses who follow the same style. This way, an open hand monk and shadow monk who takes the unbreakable mountain style would end up with an exploit unique to each subclass. I would likely also include some of the exploits I've already created. Early days yet, I'm finishing off the exploits and barbarian war cries before I really move on to the monk. Though I'll make some quick notes for monks if I think of anything.

Stormonu

Legend
The only thing that bothers somewhat about these is the [W]. It doesn’t incentive taking anything less than the biggest weapon you can handle. I’d like to see exploits that take the weapon’s damage die as a factor - namely for fighters.

Remove ads