• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exploring the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron

When WotC announced the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as a PDF release it caused a great disturbance as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and frustration. The joy is because the most requested setting in the player surveys was finally being released for 5th Edition. The frustration is because it's not a physical book, it's not legal for D&D Adventurer's League and it said that Wayfinder's “will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more,” making it seem like a beta release. By contrast, Curse of Strahd Ravenloft was presented as an adventure and source material.

When WotC announced the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as a PDF release it caused a great disturbance as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and frustration. The joy is because the most requested setting in the player surveys was finally being released for 5th Edition. The frustration is because it's not a physical book, it's not legal for D&D Adventurer's League and it said that Wayfinder's “will serve to collect feedback on adjusted races, dragon marks, new backgrounds and more,” making it seem like a beta release. By contrast, Curse of Strahd Ravenloft was presented as an adventure and source material.

While the disappointment is understandable, Wayfinder's is a meatier release than I expected. At 176 pages, it does an excellent job of presenting Eberron's setting, tone and the type of adventures.

However, Wayfinder's isn't a comprehensive guide to Eberron. It has a lot – far more than I expected from the announcement – but no classes and the world background focuses primarily on Khorvaire, with only brief information on the rest of the world.

Despite what's missing, a GM could could home brew an Eberron campaign for 5th Edition using Wayfinder's. Several times through the book Wayfinder's gives tips or idea starters for how to blend Eberron with the Forgotten Realms setting or a home brew campaign. In fact, it has a section in Chapter One called “If It Exists in D&D, There's a Place for It in Eberron.”

Chapter Three includes the Eberron-specific races Changelings, Kalashtar, Shifters and Warforged along with Eberron customizations for the classic races and as less commonly used ones like gnolls, minotaurs, etc. Eberron's tendency toward shades of gray is much appreciated for those who want something other than “orcs are evil” stereotypes.

Chapter Four focuses on Dragonmarks, a key characteristic of Eberron along with Warforged and Artificers. These inherited sigils of power designate a person's house and special abilities. Dragonmarks allow you to roll an Intuition die for a specific ability check associated with the mark. The abilities provide a boost without overpowering a character. Meanwhile the house connections provide a lot of prospective character and plot hooks.

As with Curse of Strahd, Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron was created in cooperation with its original creator. According to Keith Baker, Wayfinder's represents the setting refinements he has made over the years in his private games, adapted to 5th Edition. As with other 5th Edition books, it presents a lot of options for roleplay and characterization.

One's of Eberron's strengths has always been how it imagined magic would affect every day life and create technology. That remains and fits with the description of Eberron magic being wide but not deep. Minor magic is common. Powerful spells are rare or don't exist in Eberron, depending upon the situation.

To help a GM create an Eberron adventure “A Quick Sharn Story” provides a series of random tables. Additionally the “Starting Points” are interesting locations and adventure ideas for each section of the city.

The artwork is lovely and really helps to set the tone for Eberron's pulpy, magicpunk adventures, though two pieces were jarringly cartoonish. Not only do they not fit in with the rest of Wayfinder's, but they also don't fit the consistent art tone established in 5th Edition books.

While Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is less than I had hoped, if it's testing whether people will buy the older D&D settings, it's definitely worth it. Whether you're an Eberron fan already or a newcomer looking for break from Forgotten Realms, Wayfinder's provides a lot of material while still leaving space for a formal book release. I hope we get one soon.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

The amount of "playtest" material in the Wayfarer's Guide is rather miniscule: 11 pages of Eberron-specific races, plus about 7 pages about dragonmarks (counting each mark as having about 1/4 page of playtest material in terms of the dragonmarked subraces). So about 18 pages out of 174, or just over 10%.

The rest of it makes for an awesome Player's Guide to Eberron. Seriously, if I wrote a Player's Guide to Eberron, and I was any good at it, this is what I would write. There's an introduction that explains what sets Eberron apart from other worlds, and then a page on each Khorvaire nation with a heavy focus on player stuff. That attitude goes on for the rest of the book.

Seriously, I think that just as a ~150-page player's guide, this book is worth the money I spent on it. The rules bits are great, but I'm happy with the player's guide bit. Of course, I am an Eberron fan of old, so I have the more detailed material available as well to draw on for when designing adventures or if a player wants more, but this is pretty much exactly right for player-focused material.

I think the introduction on what sets a setting apart from other worlds should be mandatory in future releases like this, as it's really helpful and informative.

Honestly, this may be the way things will go in the future. WotC will put out a PDF player's guide for a setting, update it until it's ready for PoD, and if there's enough interest shown for the setting, continue on and support it with a hardcover release. Which is honestly not too bad of a way to do it, as it has a low initial cost that won't break the bank if not many are really interested (but will still support the hard-core fans of the setting), but has the potential for further support if a good number of people are enthusiastic...

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Seriously, I think that just as a ~150-page player's guide, this book is worth the money I spent on it. The rules bits are great, but I'm happy with the player's guide bit. Of course, I am an Eberron fan of old, so I have the more detailed material available as well to draw on for when designing adventures or if a player wants more, but this is pretty much exactly right for player-focused material.

I agree 100%. It is well worth the money. And the crunchy bits are going to be release for play test through UA anyway... so yeah.

I just wish some of the not yet ready for release Psionics stuff from the Happy Fun Hour was going to be in here along with Artificer at some point.

I quite liked it. It gave a really good overview of Eberron...really perfect for potential players. But, Baker did an excellent job of seeding that thing with adventure hooks too...or maybe more specifically, more than any other Eberron book I've read, I walked away really envisioning a bunch of cool scenes I could run in Eberron. I bought it on DnDBeyond...so the $20 price (15 after discount) also unlocks the rule material for my group and the character builder. I'm more than happy.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Welcome to 5th Edition.

Where WotC provides one set of materials simply reminsescent of the first 3 editions, a bunch of adventures, and barely any to zero setting resources and a snail's pace of setting lore.

And here I kept hoping we'd get campaign setting material equal to what was given to us in 1st and 2nd Edition.

Instead we have minimal rules, minimal fluff and....well, minimal everything.

Interesting how D&D went from a bloat to...a skeleton. I prefer to be fat and happy.

Personally I'm fine with how they are doing this setting and I think it could be a good pattern. PDF, play tested, updated, and later POD makes sense. Setting books aren't going to generate the sales of other books. I, for example, have no interest in Eberron. I might buy other settings out of curiosity though. If the lower cost (presumably) PDF / POD model allows them to release items they would otherwise not commit to... great. H3ll, for $20 I might spring for this if it encourages them to do others.

It does make me laugh when people describe Eberron as an "older setting" though. Like 3E was ancient times. You say old and I think of Blackmoor and Greyhawk. The Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, and Birthright are the "new" settings to me. On the other hand I'm not getting any younger :)

Ymdar

Explorer
I liked the random tables in the book and how to start in different neighbourhoods. Already wondering how to do some crossover with my FR game.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
I'm still reading through my PDF of Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, but I really like what I'm reading so far.
It's almost exactly what I wanted from a 5e Eberron Campaign Setting.

Now . . . if they could just start work on some of the other settings in a similar fashion:
1. The Wanderer's Guide to Athas
2. Tasselhoff's Guide to Krynn

richmacj2

First Post
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/exploratory-commencement

"I’m very pleased to announce that shortly after we begin D&D Adventurers League season 8 featuring Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (and I’m totally STOKED about that campaign as well), we will begin a whole new exploratory campaign featuring Eberron. The foundation for this campaign will be the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron. You might ask, “What do I mean by exploratory?” As you can see with the publication of the Wayfinder’s Guide in the Dungeon Master’s Guild, Eberron is a work in progress once more. Rather than fine-tuning this wondrous campaign in a vacuum, we decided to put it out there for you to play with and tell us what YOU want out of Eberron. Think of it like everything else in fifth edition D&D. We want the fans to be able to provide us with feedback to help shape Eberron and the Adventurer’s League campaign that shall accompany it."

richmacj2

First Post
Also will be update in the future:

https://cannibalhalflinggaming.com/2018/07/27/wayfinders-guide-to-eberron-review/

"There was a fair bit of initial confusion online over what exactly the Guide is, when people opened it up and saw that it wasn’t Adventure League-official, that the cover calls it a ‘prototype’. To clarify: at the moment the WGtE is essentially a living playtest; Keith Baker outright referred to it as a type of Unearthed Arcana on his own blog. According to Mike Mearls on Twitter and the July 23rd Dragon Talk episode, what will happen is that, as feedback filters in and new material is created, the Guide will be updated. New purchasers will get the most recent update, and everyone who has already purchased a copy will have their version updated for free as things proceed, so once you’ve bought it you’re guaranteed the final product. Again according to Mearls the Guide will be finished when the last changes are made and the Artificer is added in (the Artificer will have a new UA article soon), and then it will also have a Print On Demand option. The chance remains for a hardcover print Eberron book, in which some things may be duplicated between that theoretical future product and the Guide (such as races, the artificer, etc.), but the goal will be for people to be happy if they’ve bought both."

Remove ads

Remove ads