• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eyes Of The Lich Queen

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ari moves to the front of the platform and one-by-one each member of the party climbs aboard. There is plenty of space for everyone to stand comfortably, and when everyone is ready, Brother Donovan (at the back and where the rope hangs) reaches up and pulls down on the cord... sending the platform forward once more. As before, the swing is smooth and gentle and with a few seconds it reconnect with the center island.

And as before, once platform and island come together, the crystaline shard begins glowing a dim blue from within.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Hand on sword hilt, Ari cautiously steps on the middle platform, keeping from under the crystal if possible. Assuming he does not plummet, he makes his way over to the other sliding platform under its rope. "When you're all ready..."

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, warpriestly human cleric

stonegod said:
Hand on sword hilt, Ari cautiously steps on the middle platform, keeping from under the crystal if possible. Assuming he does not plummet, he makes his way over to the other sliding platform under its rope. "When you're all ready..."

"Wait," Donovan says, pointing to the crystal. "Don't we want to know what this thing is? Lady Khalia, any ideas?"

[sblock=OOC]Not that I expect it to be helpful, but since it's the only Know skill Donovan has, let's try Know: Religion as regards the crystal. (+9)

On another note, I apologize, but I'm afraid I've forgotten: do we have a description of what this "eye" looks like? [/sblock]

drothgery

First Post
jkason said:
"Wait," Donovan says, pointing to the crystal. "Don't we want to know what this thing is? Lady Khalia, any ideas?"

"It's someone's idea of fun." Khalia said disdainfully. "No one builds something like this for any practical purpose. A sufficiently skilled wizard could fly right past it. But as to exactly what it is..."

[sblock=OOC]
Knowledge (Arcana) +15, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +15, Knowledge (History) +9, Knowledge (Reglion) +16, Knowledge (The Planes) +15
[/sblock]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Khalia spies the shard for a moment and is easily able to determine that it is an Eberron dragonshard. (Knowledge Arcana check DC 20: [13] + 15 = 28 *success*) Eberron shards are the easiest shards to find on Khorvaire, and are used in a broad spectrum of magical uses.

While Khalia is correct is saying that a sufficiently powerful wizard could fly right through this chamber, she remembers that this complex was designed and built during the Age of Demons. Thus the main groups of beings walking the planet were not wizards at all, but aberations and dragons. And from her research, there are many types of aberations who do not have flight capability. So there might very well be good reasons why the gragons created these chambers as they did to protect the Eye.

Ari and Rogan look at Donovan and Khalia and inquire with their eyes whether they are free to move across the island to the other platform.

Velmont

First Post
"It makes senses, and even today, not everyone can fly easily. Look at us. A bridge, anyone could use it and all the time. I wouldn't be surprise to see something that allow to block this device, to prevent anyone to cross it." tells Jango, before following Rogan to the next platform.

drothgery

First Post
Velmont said:
"It makes senses, and even today, not everyone can fly easily. Look at us. A bridge, anyone could use it and all the time. I wouldn't be surprise to see something that allow to block this device, to prevent anyone to cross it." tells Jango, before following Rogan to the next platform.

"There are any number of ways to get past this without solving the puzzle. Flying was the first that came to mind, but traps and puzzles rarely slow down anyone that's sufficiently determined. They're the refuge of people who like toying with others, or who believe that they're smarter than everyone else. And you hope it's the latter, because those who believe that usually are not correct." Khalia says, after explaining what she observed.

Velmont

First Post
"I don't think this is the last thing we will meet on our way to the Eye. They have put a secret door that I could not see. So probably no prophet could easily come up to here. The one who has design that secret door must have assumed that an expedition to find the eye would have been sent by a dragon, and it should have thought that prophet would have been the leader and most experimented of the expedition. Luckily, we are all experienced in our domain and we completed well each other, and Rogan, the best observer of the group, wasn't the prophet.

Then, we have found a trapped door. There was a first trap, more obvious, the pressure plate. A lever, a second, more hidden. Then a secret panel that control the pressure plate and the poticulis, which was trapped too. The first trap and second trap was to lower the vigilence of the one who would try to bypass these traps, so he would trigger the third. But Rogan know what he is doing and havn't lower his guard.

This, I don't think it is a trap or not simply a trap, but a kind of bridge. Yes, a powerfull wizard could fly over, but as you see, none of us could. I wouldn,t be surprise to see a switch on the other side that disable this device. If I'm true, you can have a good trying to cross this chasm. And with the lava under, you have not to chance to do so.

So at each step, you weaken the person who come to the eye. the less cautious, less intelligent, less ressroucesfull get killed somehow. The other weaken as they use there ressources to go foward. There will be other obstacle, other challenge, other opposition I'm quite sure."

Jango then stare a moment at the statue. "But I doubt these are simply decoration. So why it has been placed there and what it can do?"

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Velmont said:
Jango then stare a moment at the statue. "But I doubt these are simply decoration. So why it has been placed there and what it can do?"
The monster hunter shrugs dismissively. "You ever see a tomb that didn't have ostentatious decoration?" He waits on the other platform for the other's inspection to finish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads