Falcon and winter solider

On a totally different note, I do not think I saw anyone mention this, but does everyone remember how Cap's shield was broken by Thanos, yet at the end of Endgame, Steve gives Sam a brand-new looking shield? This, along with comments by the directors of Endgame, pretty much confirm that Steve lived out his life in an alternate timeline before returning to his home timeline with a new shield. The theory in this article is interesting, saying that in this alternate timeline the alternate Sam has already been Captain America:

But whether any of this will factor into this show, I don't have a guess.

MarkB

Legend
On a totally different note, I do not think I saw anyone mention this, but does everyone remember how Cap's shield was broken by Thanos, yet at the end of Endgame, Steve gives Sam a brand-new looking shield? This, along with comments by the directors of Endgame, pretty much confirm that Steve lived out his life in an alternate timeline before returning to his home timeline with a new shield. The theory in this article is interesting, saying that in this alternate timeline the alternate Sam has already been Captain America:

But whether any of this will factor into this show, I don't have a guess.
I mean, he's also good friends with King T'Challa. If he needed a new shield, I'm pretty sure he could've quietly had one commissioned in this universe.

Rune

Once A Fool
I wonder if its one of those fabled culture gap things and the nuance depends of if you are seeing them through an American or non-American lens
Or – and bear with me, because I’m going out on a limb, here – it could be that the point of nuance is that different people within the audience will see different things based on their own perspectives and experiences. In an ideal world, those people would then congregate on (for example) message boards, compare and contrast those perspectives and each come away with a broader view of the world.

Since the show is presenting us with such nuance, I assume that is the intent.

I mean, he's also good friends with King T'Challa. If he needed a new shield, I'm pretty sure he could've quietly had one commissioned in this universe.

If you like that theory, but the Russo brothers pretty much admitted that the new shield came from the alternate timeline. Their talking about that is actually in another article I would have to look up again.

Rune

Once A Fool
I think it’s probably more down to having read the comics or not.
Again. No. As I said before, I am only talking about the characters as presented in the show. I see what I see.

If you guys don’t see it, that’s probably intentional on the part of the creators. I’m betting you will by the end of the series because, structurally, I don’t know why they would include it if they weren’t going to build on it. But I can’t read the future, just the present.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m betting you will by the end of the series
Well obviously I will by the end, because that’s who the character is. The odds on them not making him like the character he apparently is in the comics seem pretty slim.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well obviously I will by the end, because that’s who the character is. The odds on them not making him like the character he apparently is in the comics seem pretty slim.
But again, they could always go the way of the Skrull twist...

I took some time to watch the episode again, with some effort to set aside preconceptions, and watch what he's actually doing. And I still agree - when he talks with Bucky and Sam (and Bucky's therapist) he has a lot of... entitlement is the best word I have for it. He still couches it in friendly terms, but the presumption is still there. And I agree, it is well acted.

Yeah, on a surface level he seems like a good guy. But there are subtle hints in the episode that he is bad news.

The fact that he brings a gun, which Steve never did. His casual threat to Falcon and Bucky. He seems more hot headed. It's subtle, but it's already there.

Remove ads