• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fan sites to keep the edition alive?

The thing is I think Dungeon World /feels/ as far removed from 4e as possibly conceivable, but I think it isn't. There are no definite rules *for players*, and that's an important distinction. A player can jump in and play in 10 minutes. But for the DM there's an impressive set of rules and tools. I was honestly sold on DW reading the GM rules session.

The "vagueness" you mention in classic D&D just isn't there. The game embraces "DM fairness": DW painstankly makes the point that everyone on the table has to be on the same page all the time, and rules avoid ambiguity as much as possible to empower the Theater of the Mind play. Playing DW I realized fairness over vagueness is very important for my enjoyment of an RPG.

I think both 4e and DW have clear design direction and that's what is most appealing about them to me. They make so much sense.

Well, in all fairness DW isn't vague about what it in general expects the DM to do, and that's great. OTOH there are NO rules really saying what happens next. The DM is perfectly within his rights to just say "and the monster smacks you for N damage." There would PROBABLY be a 'Defy Danger' in there, at least the player might hope to be able to jump in and suggest a course of action that would yield one, but there is absolutely no rule that says any such thing will happen. In fact this sort of thing is pretty much intended to be decided by the DM's story needs (IE he can dish out more damage, directly or indirectly, based on how much tension he wants to create, etc). In fact there's very little that is concrete in DW. Monsters have a hit point number and a damage number, and some VERY generalized moves, potentially, but a DM can trivially make an orc anything from a dire threat to a tiny speed bump without straying even close to going outside the rules or guidelines.

I think this is great, for what DW is, I'm not criticizing it at all, but its VERY loose, and loose in a way that begs constant reinterpretation. DMs IME have to be very careful to maintain consistency, do a lot of foreshadowing and exposition, etc. I find that a lot of players are a bit lost in this kind of game.

Yes, 4e and DW are very different games, hence my question/rumination about how you would capture elements of both games in one system (and what things you couldn't capture effectively in a game that borrowed from both). OTOH the way I ran 4e leaned pretty heavily into the narrative story directed kind of play. Clearly 4e has rules which pin down the narrative details a lot more than DW. Its not clear to me how you marry the "tell me what happened" aspect of DW with the rules-driven result and specified player options structure of 4e. I think it would be an interesting exercise and something cool might come out of such efforts, at least in the hands of someone talented (IE probably not me).

Classic D&D has a huge amount of vagueness. Part of what I found unsatisfying about it is that it is both vague and subject to heavy DM whim in terms of the details of things, and at the same time has too much structure to easily lend itself to a DW-like style of play. Now, if you go all the way back to the original 1974 game things are SO vague that you end up with a game that could be played a LOT like DW, though if you were doing that you might want to go whole hog and toss out the combat system and use a narrative structuring ala DW's. 1e was just ANNOYING, it seemed like it sat in the sore spot between too many constraints and not enough clear rules definition. Much of what appealed to many about 4e was that it clearly moved out of that spot.

Yeah, lot's of people are porting stuff from 4E to 13th Age. Right now I'm enjoying the 13th age Core Book content, but I believe I'll soon want to make my own stuff, and it seems pretty portable. Hopefully we'll see a conversion document soon.

I think it's good for everyone that D&D Next is trying to be it's own thing, but a contingency plan has to be in place in case I dislike it, hahah :D

I just was annoyed by 13a. I think they had interesting ideas with the RP side of it, but IMHO the mechanics are really not that great. Why go from a really flexible core power system that lets you combine elements of virtually ANY 2 classes in new and interesting ways to one that has simply a ton of arbitrarily slightly different power systems (often with 2 or even 3 different ones on the same class)? I couldn't find any real advantage to that. Its just too much of "lets do it different than 4e for the sake of changing things" vs any fathomable reason for the changes.

Combat is a little bit different story, they at least were aiming for something that played differently there, not just "its not 4e", though it sometimes felt that way.

I had some fun playing 13a, but it felt like in my case it didn't do a lot of things a whole lot better than 4e does, and there are a bunch of things it seemed to do worse. PERSONALLY I'd rather make 4e my starting point. I WOULD do some of the things they did in Next in terms of streamlining things (and 13a did some similar things), but rather than kill tactical combat like both of those games did I'd make it faster and more exciting and more clearly link the character's combat abilities to their story and history. I think its doable, the question here is if there's anyone who's going to really do it.

landovers

First Post
I think this is great, for what DW is, I'm not criticizing it at all, but its VERY loose, and loose in a way that begs constant reinterpretation. DMs IME have to be very careful to maintain consistency, do a lot of foreshadowing and exposition, etc. I find that a lot of players are a bit lost in this kind of game.
[...]
Classic D&D has a huge amount of vagueness. Part of what I found unsatisfying about it is that it is both vague and subject to heavy DM whim in terms of the details of things, and at the same time has too much structure to easily lend itself to a DW-like style of play. Now, if you go all the way back to the original 1974 game things are SO vague that you end up with a game that could be played a LOT like DW, though if you were doing that you might want to go whole hog and toss out the combat system and use a narrative structuring ala DW's. 1e was just ANNOYING, it seemed like it sat in the sore spot between too many constraints and not enough clear rules definition. Much of what appealed to many about 4e was that it clearly moved out of that spot.
[...]
I just was annoyed by 13a. I think they had interesting ideas with the RP side of it, but IMHO the mechanics are really not that great. Why go from a really flexible core power system that lets you combine elements of virtually ANY 2 classes in new and interesting ways to one that has simply a ton of arbitrarily slightly different power systems (often with 2 or even 3 different ones on the same class)? I couldn't find any real advantage to that. Its just too much of "lets do it different than 4e for the sake of changing things" vs any fathomable reason for the changes.

For some reason I don't mind the kinds of decision Dungeon World has me making. If I make a hard GM move, I'm consciously doing it ("Hmm, this is the third hard move I make today, I'm pushing them pretty hard, but that's OK, this is the final dungeon"). The book does have a tiny guideline regarding GMs moves:

Generally when the players are just looking at you to find out what happens you make a soft move, otherwise you make a hard move.

I agree with you on the orc example, it can be very loose. It's hard for me to pinpoint why DW feels fair; I remember the following counter-example in another thread about D&D Next, and I think it has to do with what you said about classic D&D (which I have no experience playing, btw): why would an ability "push enemies 10 feet" if the game is supposed to be played without minis? This is asking for trouble and arguments, and asking for the GM to pull stuff out of his a**. If the GM says no ("er.... no, the acid pit is 15 feet away so you can't throw the goblin in there!") he's being boring and strangling the game, but if he says yes he's opening the door for all kinds of similar system exploits. The system has to back the GM up here, not put him on a spot. DW solves this by avoiding rules that cause these situations.

About 13th Age, the Dragon Empire is not for me, but the mechanics I enjoy. The tactical aspect in 4e is awesome but it's hard to go for fast combat without ditching tactics a bit. What I like about 13th Age is that it is simple and quick in this regard, much better than 4e to introduce new people to RPGs. I was DMing a withering game via Skype that got new life once we rebooted it with 13th Age. But that's what 13A is, a different system that serves a different crowd and purpose (unlike what Pathfinder was to 3.5).

For some reason I don't mind the kinds of decision Dungeon World has me making. If I make a hard GM move, I'm consciously doing it ("Hmm, this is the third hard move I make today, I'm pushing them pretty hard, but that's OK, this is the final dungeon"). The book does have a tiny guideline regarding GMs moves:
Yeah, DW has a lot of very good DM advice. If you read the "how to" its all quite clear, though a DM unfamiliar with DW's conventions may find a straight read of the rules a bit obscure until they get some practice. Its great if your DM and players are aligned to that style of play. Its like any game, it works better for some than others. I like it, but at the same time I find that some players REALLY like more concrete definitions of what will happen when they do X, Y, or Z and some players that have a hard time just coming up with moves purely based on narrative. So I do hanker for a tool that is closer to what those players want. Also, 4e has a lot of cool stuff!

I agree with you on the orc example, it can be very loose. It's hard for me to pinpoint why DW feels fair; I remember the following counter-example in another thread about D&D Next, and I think it has to do with what you said about classic D&D (which I have no experience playing, btw): why would an ability "push enemies 10 feet" if the game is supposed to be played without minis? This is asking for trouble and arguments, and asking for the GM to pull stuff out of his a**. If the GM says no ("er.... no, the acid pit is 15 feet away so you can't throw the goblin in there!") he's being boring and strangling the game, but if he says yes he's opening the door for all kinds of similar system exploits. The system has to back the GM up here, not put him on a spot. DW solves this by avoiding rules that cause these situations.
Personally I'm not super concerned with the fairness aspect, but it is one that has been expressed a lot in connection with systems like DW. Frankly there are a good number of DMs out there who don't do so well with "I can just make anything happen." Ultimately any DM can be fair or unfair, good or bad regardless of system, but some systems help some DMs more than others. The thing with say 1e vintage D&D was that you'd have some spell that would combine various narrative and mechanical aspects in ways that could be interpreted quite differently by different DMs. There were also a LOT of little special rules scattered here and there which might or might not show up in any given game. You could often suddenly find the DM trotting out something obscure to thwart your master plan that bypassed something he wanted to have happen. Or just it was plain unclear what to do. Actually 1e DOES use precise measurements and pretty much assumes a 'map' of some sort that the characters move around on. A lot of what would happen is people would play without such a map and then things could get very loose and often results would be a lot different from what you'd get if you DID use a map, the old "Oh, sure all those orcs are probably in the blast, and you can just barely avoid the dwarf!" whereas if you start mapping out fireballs its a lot less forgiving.

About 13th Age, the Dragon Empire is not for me, but the mechanics I enjoy. The tactical aspect in 4e is awesome but it's hard to go for fast combat without ditching tactics a bit. What I like about 13th Age is that it is simple and quick in this regard, much better than 4e to introduce new people to RPGs. I was DMing a withering game via Skype that got new life once we rebooted it with 13th Age. But that's what 13A is, a different system that serves a different crowd and purpose (unlike what Pathfinder was to 3.5).

I think 13a is a pretty good game. Like I said, I like their RP tools, though I think DW's approach is even more open. Of course 13a's tools could work with almost any system, they're not really tied too much to the mechanics. You could give a 4e or a DW character "one unique thing" and the archetype relationship stuff can be adapted pretty easily too (and in DW's case bonds can do a lot of the same thing). I'd personally do things in that sense a BIT different from 13a, but it was worth playing it to see how their tools worked. Honestly I didn't find that 13a combat was THAT much faster than 4e's though. Its certainly a bit faster, and a good bit if its a trivial encounter, but I think its possible to have a good solid tactical game that plays quickly, 4e just wasn't it.

Waghalter level 7 poster ? means ? one likely to be hanged.

Hah! It is so appropriate for you Garthanos! ;)

I'll have to check out the SC article, just because I always have been a fan of SCs. I'd DEFINITELY want some form of the SC system in a hack. I think it is a key element of 4e's skill system, and I always liked that too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hah! It is so appropriate for you Garthanos! ;)
Pretty sure they burn witches
I'll have to check out the SC article, just because I always have been a fan of SCs. I'd DEFINITELY want some form of the SC system in a hack. I think it is a key element of 4e's skill system, and I always liked that too.

It doesnt have numbers on it.. with the intent of being system neutral presumedly never the less it seems like a very interesting take on SC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads