Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter Has Launched

Fans of Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop (VTT) software platform, will be interested to hear that a Kickstarter for a new version has been launched, featuring dynamic lighting, advanced fog of war, tole-based map building, and some technical computer things.

Fans of Fantasy Grounds, the virtual tabletop (VTT) software platform, will be interested to hear that a Kickstarter for a new version has been launched, featuring dynamic lighting, advanced fog of war, tole-based map building, and some technical computer things.

thumbnail_FGUKickstarter.jpg

Fantasy Grounds launched in 2004, and was one of the earliest VTTs, and was the first to get a Dungeons & Dragons license. It also has modules for other games, including Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, WOIN, Call of Cthulhu, Traveller, Mutants & Masterminds, and more. The new version uses something called a Unity, which sounds exciting.

It launched yesterday, has made over $150K already, and has about a month to run. For $15-$30 you can upgrade from the old version (price dependent on how long ago you originally got it) and for $35 you get the new version during its Beta run.

There's a bunch of video demos on the Kickstarter page which are worth checking out.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
What does moving to Unity buy me in terms of "modern" technology? Maybe I missed that in the kickstarter page.....for example.....

Can I use two monitors effectively? Is it usable across all platforms? If so, how will the interface change so that players can use their phones to manage their characters during battle? thanks,

smiteworks

Explorer
What does moving to Unity buy me in terms of "modern" technology? Maybe I missed that in the kickstarter page.....for example.....

Can I use two monitors effectively? Is it usable across all platforms? If so, how will the interface change so that players can use their phones to manage their characters during battle? thanks,

There are lots of things possible in the future, but the initial launch will feature native 64-bit support for Windows PC, Mac and Linux, hosting games without needing to configure your router to allow port forwarding, improved support for new graphic cards and just a better platform for us adding new features -- such as the enhancements we have added to maps and images. For instance, we were able to add support for animated FX layers with relative ease by incorporating a package available on the Unity Asset Store. It is possible to compile to tablet, Playstation, Xbox and Web with Unity, but there are other considerations there that would need to be addressed and planned for first. Nothing concrete has been announced on that front.

For multi-monitor support, I have been running this for a decade already with the current implementation. I use two monitors side-by-side and stretch across those. I sometimes also connect a 2nd instance for players to an additional monitor, TV or projector. If you are asking for the ability for the GM or players to pop windows outside of the existing application window, then this is something different than multiple monitor support and is something that was not well supported with Unity any more than our previous platform; however, support for this is growing and may be possible now.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
There are lots of things possible in the future, but the initial launch will feature native 64-bit support for Windows PC, Mac and Linux, hosting games without needing to configure your router to allow port forwarding, improved support for new graphic cards and just a better platform for us adding new features -- such as the enhancements we have added to maps and images. For instance, we were able to add support for animated FX layers with relative ease by incorporating a package available on the Unity Asset Store. It is possible to compile to tablet, Playstation, Xbox and Web with Unity, but there are other considerations there that would need to be addressed and planned for first. Nothing concrete has been announced on that front.

For multi-monitor support, I have been running this for a decade already with the current implementation. I use two monitors side-by-side and stretch across those. I sometimes also connect a 2nd instance for players to an additional monitor, TV or projector. If you are asking for the ability for the GM or players to pop windows outside of the existing application window, then this is something different than multiple monitor support and is something that was not well supported with Unity any more than our previous platform; however, support for this is growing and may be possible now.

Thank you for the response. Yes, I'd like to have the DM stuff in one window, and the maps and whatever I want the players to see in another window. Stretching across two monitors is a work around, imo. But, all that other stuff sounds great!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It is possible to compile to tablet, Playstation, Xbox and Web with Unity, but there are other considerations there that would need to be addressed and planned for first. Nothing concrete has been announced on that front.

It would be awesome if I could have a VTT running on a Switch/PS/XBox, if it were also designed to work well with console controllers. If I could sit down and enjoy a remote TTRPG as easily as I can a video game, that would be very attractive.

smiteworks

Explorer
Thank you for the response. Yes, I'd like to have the DM stuff in one window, and the maps and whatever I want the players to see in another window. Stretching across two monitors is a work around, imo. But, all that other stuff sounds great!

If it is the player version of the map, combat tracker and handout images, then you would do that by running a 2nd instance of Fantasy Grounds that is joined to the DM instance as localhost. Whenever you share the image, it will appear on the player instance and that entire player instance can be placed on a connected monitor, TV or projector. The DM would have a different view of this same info on their instance, which may or may not stretch across other displays.

It is possible to compile to tablet, Playstation, Xbox and Web with Unity, but there are other considerations there that would need to be addressed and planned for first. Nothing concrete has been announced on that front.
If I can be a bit... humorous.... all we have to do is find out what console system Doug and/or John have I suspect as soon as they have some free time (not until after FGU launches!) they might just put something together for their own use, then share it with the rest of us!

Just think Doug & John, you can sit back on your couch with your console on your big screen eating pizza in one hand and your controller in the other while you burn out troll cave, chase off space aliens, or get savage in the weird west!

BnaaUK

Explorer
If I can be a bit... humorous.... all we have to do is find out what console system Doug and/or John have I suspect as soon as they have some free time (not until after FGU launches!) they might just put something together for their own use, then share it with the rest of us!

Just think Doug & John, you can sit back on your couch with your console on your big screen eating pizza in one hand and your controller in the other while you burn out troll cave, chase off space aliens, or get savage in the weird west!

Are you suggesting we club together to buy them a games console?

That might get us the order pizza button too!

smiteworks

Explorer
I have a couple Xbox One X and PS4 Pro consoles. They are heavily monopolized by my children. John and Carl are the ones we need to get playing around with them more. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads