Fantasy Grounds Unity KS Announced

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Free game content; Nope, not true, their is free game content for numerous game systems (D&D 1e, 3, 3.5, 5e, PF, Savage World, etc) available for free on their community forums and some for 5E on the DMsGuild. It is, admittedly, only a tiny fraction of what is available world-wide.

As for free content that is behing a "gate", maybe you mean the D&D Basic Rules & the 5E SRD? I know at one time they were not distributed with the free license of FG, but that is no longer true, and hasn't been for some time.

I have no idea how much free content is available for Roll20 other than the 5E SRD and 5E Basic Rules. What else is there?

The only free content that concerns me is official rulesets. I'm not interested in fancruft, and I'm not interested in having to manually import readily available open source content into a system I am paying for.

https://roll20.net/compendium/

Yes Roll 20 you can play and GM completely for free. In that use case, Roll20 is cheaper, no doubt, no argument. But, you have severe limitation on a free Roll20 account (storage size, feature access, sharing content between campaigns, etc) And content you buy can only be shred to ONE campaign. But you can play and GM no doubt.

If we're talking about average use cases, which you appear to be keen on, the average user is never going to hit these limits.

Your argument seems to be that you get less for the money you opt to spend on Roll20 than you do for the money you opt to spend on FG. This is only logical -- FG has an upfront buy-in comparable to an enterprise application, while Roll20 does not.

Now, on FG, for $4/month or $39 one-time you get a license that has no feature limitations (you can share your purchased content in an unlimited number of campaigns, you can customize the ruleset and most anything else. The only limit is that if you host/run a game, all your players also need a standard or ultimate license.

So, just so we're clear, the actual cost of a Standard license is $20/month or $156, spread across a group of five.

So, if you are going to spend money on a license, either the Plus, Pro, Standard or Ultimate; FG is the same price or cheaper after 10 months.

If you are going to spend money on a license.

I'm cutting all this filler about licensed paid content, and you should thank me, because the real message here is that it's shocking FG charges as much as Roll20 does for licensed content on top of their base cost.

If you are familiar with FG, and understand how to use the combat tracker, effects and PC actions, so much of the book keeping is take care of for you that combat is a fast, really fast.

Honest question: does it speed up your game prep? Do you spend less time preparing per session using FG than you would running live?

The only free content that concerns me is official rulesets. I'm not interested in fancruft, and I'm not interested in having to manually import readily available open source content into a system I am paying for.

I'm cutting all this filler about licensed paid content, and you should thank me, because the real message here is that it's shocking FG charges as much as Roll20 does for licensed content on top of their base cost.

Actually if you're only talking about D&D 5e content then it is significantly cheaper on Fantasy Grounds than on Roll20. Also the cost of licensed products are dictated by the owners of said products, not by Fantasy Grounds.

There are other products which are significantly cheaper. Call of Cthulhu products are very affordable for everything you get, Castles & Crusades is inexpensive, and Savage Worlds also gives a lot for such a little price. And Symbaroum just launched today on Fantasy Grounds with plans to bring all the other content across. Don't forget about Piazo as that entails a lot of licensed content.

If you want licensed content then Fantasy Grounds is the VTT to play it on.

Happy gaming!

Chris633

Explorer
I am a Fantasy Grounds user. Previously I used roll20 and just paper and a webcam. In my opinion, Fantasy Grounds is just a better vtt and worth the price of admission.

Game prep is equitable across platforms. Just different. You save time in some places but loose it in others. Where it shines is during gameplay. Combat is faster. A lot faster. I don’t have to wait for my players to do math, look up modifiers or many other book keeping tasks. It just does it for you. Being able to share content with players is both easy and seamless. So I am excited to see a newer and improved version. And I will happily pay to upgrade my license. As an online GM, it just makes my life easier.

Ditto

I am a Fantasy Grounds user. Previously I used roll20 and just paper and a webcam. In my opinion, Fantasy Grounds is just a better vtt and worth the price of admission.

Game prep is equitable across platforms. Just different. You save time in some places but loose it in others. Where it shines is during gameplay. Combat is faster. A lot faster. I don’t have to wait for my players to do math, look up modifiers or many other book keeping tasks. It just does it for you. Being able to share content with players is both easy and seamless. So I am excited to see a newer and improved version. And I will happily pay to upgrade my license. As an online GM, it just makes my life easier.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Finally. I've been waiting for this for years. The current version of fantasy grounds I found to be rather clunky when I trialed it. Hoping this will be a smoother more user friendly version.

https://roll20.net/compendium/

So following that link I see the following official source content available on Roll20:
- D&D 5E
- Pathfinder
- StarFinder
- Dungeon World
- Drama World

FG has the following official sources/content:
- D&D 5E
- Pathfinder
- StarFinder
- Call of Cthulu (6E & 7E)
- Savage Worlds
- Mutants & Masterminds
- Castles & Crusades (this one might be $10 for everything, not sure)
- FATECore
- Rolemaster
- Traveller
- Symborium
- 13th Age
- WOIN
- Dead Lands

If we're talking about average use cases, which you appear to be keen on, the average user is never going to hit these limits.
Says who? I use Roll20, rarely, and I have hit these limits. But, regardless, they are serious limits (only able to share what you purchase to 1, 3, or 5 campaigns? Restrictions on moving characters or other content between campaigns?) and each individual should be aware of them and take them into consideration. Its not up to us to say they should be ignored.

Your argument seems to be that you get less for the money you opt to spend on Roll20 than you do for the money you opt to spend on FG. This is only logical -- FG has an upfront buy-in comparable to an enterprise application, while Roll20 does not.
Including the upfront cost (i.e. a license), in most cases you get more for your money with FG, after a reasonable amount of time. You can buy the PHB, MM, DMG, and one-time standard license on FG for $129, and that is good forever.
On Roll 20 you can buy the PHB and MM for $80. But you can't buy the DMG at all. And then if you want to use those books in more than one campaign, you have to pay $5/month. So in 10 months, you have broken even with Roll20, plus you still don't have the DMG in your VTT.

So, just so we're clear, the actual cost of a Standard license is $20/month or $156, spread across a group of five.
If you buy the most expensive set of licenses for that use case. Why would you not just go with an Ultimate? Then it would be $10/month or $149. Or if you insisted on Standard licenses, then buy the 4 pack from Steam?

That is just flat out wrong, again. Is that why you cut out and ignored all the quoted prices? For most official content, FG is about 60% of price of the same official content as Roll20. In general 5E stuff is $30 on FG and $50 on Roll 20.

Honest question: does it speed up your game prep? Do you spend less time preparing per session using FG than you would running live?
Honest answer, it depends.

So if I run live using nothing but a dry erase map and generic mini's and fly by the seat of my pants (i.e. nothing more than a plot and encounter outlines), then "live" prep is less time.

But that's because in FG (and to some extent in Roll20) I have full color maps, I have custom images for creatures, and they are pre-placed on the maps. I have treasure parcels ready to be distribute and XP is automatically calculated and can be assigned and distributed with a couple mouse clicks.

And that makes my combats, whether I am playing online or using FG on my TV for a face to face game, take 1/2 to 1/3 the time it takes in person. As others have said, combat in FG is fast.

So I can prep fast for a live session, but then it is all theater of the mind or maps outlined on the fly or I pull one of the many laminated maps from my stash. I may be using gnoll mini's for my army of elven bandits, or fire elemental for a hill giant. And, combat takes forever because I have to track hitpoints, look up ACs, attack bonuses and weapon damages. Calculate spell DCs, etc.

Finally. I've been waiting for this for years. The current version of fantasy grounds I found to be rather clunky when I trialed it. Hoping this will be a smoother more user friendly version.
I don't want to discourage you, but if you are expecting a different interface, don't. Their might be some minor changes, but the expectation is the look and feel will be the same. FGU will just have more performance and new functionality.

Myzzrym

Explorer
So they’re sorta re-writing their software in a different programming language?

So how does that affect the users of FG? Does it make FG do something it couldn’t do before?

(Not being awkward; I just haven’t the foggiest what this means).

Basically yes. It's not just a different programming language, you can consider Unity as sort of a helper - there's tons of things it can already do on its own, so instead of having to code everything every time you want to add a new feature, in Unity there's a high chance that there's already bits and pieces you can use to do what you want.

Because there's pre-build solutions, there's also a high chance that refactoring (basically rewriting the code) will help making a more robust / better quality product. That being said, often it also means that a lot of time will be spent re-making what already exists (but better) instead of purely working on new features.

mrrockitt

Explorer
Been looking forward to this!

In my opinion Fantasy Grounds is already far superior to Roll20 in it's current form so can only see this making it even better.

As an Ultimate License owner I am *little* concerned about extra license costs but it was to be expected I guess.
I also found FG to be a cheaper option than Roll20 when I added all the official WOTC books.
And no, Fantasy Grounds, Roll20 or any other VTT is no substitute to playing face-to-face but not all of us have that choice available to us and VTT's do a great job in that situation.

Last edited:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
That is just flat out wrong, again. Is that why you cut out and ignored all the quoted prices? For most official content, FG is about 60% of price of the same official content as Roll20. In general 5E stuff is $30 on FG and $50 on Roll 20.

Whoops. That was sloppy of me. I looked at the first entry on the list and did not scan down. My apologies. There are two fiscal responsibility arguments here, one against the exorbitant cost of FG, and one against having to pay twice for game content, and in the heat of the moment I made the mistake of conflating them.

Honest answer, it depends.

I appreciate your response.

I've said my piece, and continue to stand by it, barring the above. You may proceed with your shilling without further interruption from me. :)

Remove ads