D&D 5E Favorite Fighters

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Please post examples of some of your favorite Fighters you've played watched someone else play. Give as many details as you can. This thread is about showing just how cool real played fighters actually are! If you know the build and stats awesome. If not that's fine too. Personality and details of their exploits in the campaign work too.

My fighter's typically are tacticians that know how to deal damage but have little personality outside that. He helps get the team through battle but often is more of a loner and doesn't say a lot unless he believes something is a bad plan. Though he still will go along if everyone else insists.

Full disclosure: I fully abuse the SS and GWM feats along with precision attack and we typically roll for stats with rerolls when we roll to low and so those feats have a tendency to come online much earlier than in a standard pointbut or array game.

SmokingSkull

First Post
I have a current Fighter at the moment who just hit level 3, took Monster Hunter as his archetype. He's basically a wanderer who's been all over the place, seen some things and met all kinds of people. Growing up as a hunter nomad makes him self sufficient for all his basic needs, while he can be a loner at the same time he recognizes strength in numbers. Mechanically he's a heavy weapons type of guy who crushes all that stand before him, he tracks and hunts, is learned in esoteric, occult knowledge, history and is a craftsman. Sometimes he leads the group, given he is hard to ignore (he's a Goliath) and he has quite the presence. He also comes up with ideas, sometimes simplifying the other members ideas with easy solutions to the current problem.

In a way he's kind of the older/big brother looking out for his pack of misfit weirdos.

ccs

41st lv DM
Mark 7
Mk7 is/was a Warforged, variant noble, fighter (Eldritch Knight).
Mk was created to be a living weapon by a gnomish tinkerer who had a vision of a five headed dragon ravaging the country side. The intention was to mass-produce hordes of expendable soldiers for the for seen war.
Unfortunately, before the prototype could be fully perfected, the Cult of the Dragon set thier plan to summon Tiamat into the Realms....
And so Mk7 was rushed into the field. Mk7 was accompanied by a trio of gnomes who were to 1) repair & upgrade as needed, 2) collect & record all data concerning actual combat effectiveness.
One of the things this field test reveled was that the Mk7s CPU/targeting systems weren't sufficient (low Int score). This proved problematic when installing various upgrades (EK "spells"). Thus at 4th lv Int was increased rather than taking a feat. This helped some.

Mk7 was effectively destroyed when his head was stomped flat.
The body was loaded into a cart & hauled back to the tinker gnomes lab.
Mk8 will return.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Trevor is a Human-Noble Fighter (Battlemaster) 6 / Cleric (Light) 1

This is my current character. He comes from a Noble merchant family, but is the youngest son (Max is the eldest, Gabriel and Gabrielle are twins). He was a bit of a troublemaker and gambler, and his family shipped him off to the military. He left his post to go to a gambling hall one and night and his unit got demolished by the Southern army. He deserted at that point and became a vagabond until a wandering Knight taught him about redemption and how to make a difference. So the game starts off with him assuming a different identity and trying to follow "Knightly" codes.

Since that point, Trevor has been played as a quintessential goody-two-shoes "Paladin". In combat or RP scenarios he is a defender and always places himself between the innocent and harm. When facing humanoid enemies he attacks non-lethally and prioritizes Spare the Dieing to save as many lives as possible (afterwards he gives them speeches about turning their life around). He often turns down rewards, gifts rewards to those in need, and buries bodies instead of looting them.

Gambling is one of the dirty habits he still has, and he often spends downtime gambling as well as taking reckless chances such as diving into the ocean to try and take down a runaway wizard who was piloting a "Whale Wagon" (submarine), and then confronting the wizard in an underwater fight (won by drowning the wizard). He is also a little racist, specifically against the smaller races. One of the other players' characters is a Gnome, which he tolerates, but he does not care for Gnomes or Halflings, let alone the Fey creatures like Sprites. However, he does love dwarves, has made several dwarven friends, and had a dwarven lover in his youth.

In combat I play Trevor sort of like Captain America. I will shout out suggestions to other party members and try to advance tactically. Everyone else in the part is a caster, although one Wizard is a Bladesinger, so he really is the meatshield and tries to block enemies so the rest of the party can blast. He utilizes Shield Bashes via Shield Mastery when appropriate (since everyone is ranged) as well as Menacing Strikes for battlefield control. Healing Word is an emergency cast to get someone who has fallen back in the fight, and Sacred Flame is his go-to for when he needs to use Ranged Attacks. Out of combat he is skilled at persuasion, but the Sorcerer and Warlock make for better "faces" most of the time. He also utilizes Guidance whenever possible to boost everyone's checks when possible.

Overall I feel he is a very solid build who adds a lot to the group in all 3 pillars of play. He's also my favorite fighter character in any edition. He even beats out my former all-time favorite, Elaith the effeminate elven Fighter/Mage of Syrloch (my old Living Greyhawk character).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Caveat: I'm using two UAs to interact in a non traditional way. It might be (probably is) OP, and I know it's not intended by the devs, but it sure is fun.

Scout fighter from the Classics Revisited is my kind of fighter. Adding a superiority die to Grapples, and Shoves, Nature-y stuff and Stealth makes him a great Commando. They also have good incentive to not wear Heavy Armor, which is more my kind of fighter.

They also get the Ranger's Natural Explorer, the one from the PHB with favored terrains. However if you use the Natural explorer from Ranger Revised UA things get really interesting and quite possibly broken.

Combining the Advantage on first round attacks with GWM is great. Then using Mobile to get out of reach without provoking opportunity attacks is even better. I may grab a couple levels of Barbarian, but maybe not.

This is my favorite Wilderness Warrior character I've played. And I play a lot of them.

MiraMels

Explorer
Let me tell you about Suvea of the Dawncaller. She was a goliath who grew up and learned to fight on a greatship full of frost giant pirates.

Now I played Suvea from 3rd level to 8th. She's a single classed fighter, battle master subclass. In her build, I focused focused entirely on hit points, damage reduction, and support maneuvers. (Rally, commander's strike, distracting strike, maneuvering strike, and goading strike.) She had the Protection fighting style, 14 strength and charisma, 18 constitution, and her only feat was Heavy Armour Mastery.

And it was so much fun to play her! Our party was very ranged combat and caster heavy, so I had my work cut out for me protecting the squishes. The only one joining me on the front lines willingly was a melee-ranger who was a bit of a glass cannon. Her and I were downright lethal when we could play off each other in melee. (Seriously, we were keeping pace, damage-wise, with the 'i spend all my spell slots on damage spells' sorcerer.)

Erechel

Explorer
My favourite fighter would be... my current character, Borivik. It is a Human Battlemaster of the FR. He is a folk's hero, because he leaded a revolt against an oppressive church in its native land. He's an atheist after encountering another of my fighters, the original Gastón, a mercenary and merchant obsessed with bringing down the gods, which he sees as powerful, tyrannical monsters. Nevertheless, Borivik and Gastón are two worlds apart in concept, other than belonging to the same subclass. While Gastón is an old (it is bordering 40 years old in a world without toilets), wise and calmed soldier and mercenary with a knack for weapon's business (he sells his weapons of choice: crossbows of every type), Borivik is a very young, very hot-blooded blacksmith's apprentice (19 years old). And he is strong.

I builded it by rolling dice, with awesome luck. At level 3, he has Str. 18, Dex. 11, Con. 16, Int. 14, Wis 14 and Cha. 14. He has the Shield Master feat, so he has at least +2 to every save, and fights with a longsword and a shield He uses a chainmail, and he has proficiency on Athletics, Survival, Investigation, Animal Handling and Intimidation, and he knows how to use blacksmith's and cartographer's tools. He knows the following maneuvers: Precision, lunging and sweeping attacks. He uses extensively his crowbar, his smithy tools and his shovel (to dig holes, mostly), and like to throw torches on Giant Spider's caves.

His personality is convoluted. He is on the run from his ancient enemies: the nobles and church members. He is brash and insolent, but good-hearted and responsible. He is also an alcoholic, prone to risk the success of a mission for a bottle of wine, a thing that he denies (this is his flaw). But he is responsible for its actions: he was prone to sacrifice himself after the Storm god attacked the ship in which he was (well, not really sacrifice, he carried a big barrel with its equipment when he jumped of the ship). He did it because he comprehended that Talos was after its party after they desecrated its temple in Atkathla, killing the high-priest and saving the poor captive to be sacrificed.

To do that, he devoted himself to reading about Talos, and entered in a brawl at the Copper's Crown to be noticed by the talosites as an adept. And he won every fist-fight, grabbing its rivals and bashing their heads against the bars. When they entered in the temple in disguise, he grabbed a bottle of wine and jeopardized the mission. But then he saved the party twice, even at his arm's expense (dislocating its shoulder to rescue the other -dexterity- fighter when he fell off the rainy tower and catching the falling warlock also); he also single-handledly shut down the high priest, when the tabaxi monk fell for a Guiding Bolt: run against him and shoved it with its shield, and then grappled his mouth with its attack (at disadvantage, but I'm great, so, yeah: no verbal components to you). In other adventure, he broke a crypt's gate with sheer strength, fight and defeated most of the Giant Spiders, and then overkilled them by setting their lair on fire (I don't need a wizard when I have a torch and oil). He also maintained a ship's mast by hulking all its strength on the task, and saved his companions when finally the ship sunked. He was also the only one to have all his equipment, because he could carry a big barrel. He also digged the graves of a phantom town, and made CPR to a drowning NPC.

Borivik is the big guy. He is the reliable one, the most powerful in the party (although the monk is quite a beast), and overall the most versatile. He doesn't really need Thieves' tools to open a chest: he can break the lock with its tools, or simply with its massive strength. He don't really need the warlock to kill a lot of little enemies: with his shield, action surge and sweeping attack he does it just fine. He don't really need the bard's healing: he got his Second Wind and Hit Dice, and its shield and armor to protect him from harm. He can swim, climb, grab, lift, fight, resist and open anything like a pro. I'm in love with my character.

Satyrn

First Post
I think I've mentioned my forest gnome battlemaster before.

When I first statted him up I had envisionec him as a Han Soloesque three musketeers swashbuckling rogue. But at some point I discovered the rest of the table pictured him as a dirt eating pipsqueak garden gnome with a pointy hat.

I've embraced their vision.

Remove ads