D&D 5E Favorite Unusual Races/Lineages

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
There is a playable Satyr now (thanks to Theros), but I was able to kitbash one by picking Alternate Tiefling Abilities and going Bard. I didn't get the Satyr Pipes but I could have asked my DM to let me "re-tool" a Pipes of the Sewers or similar magic pipes.

Gotta work on my role-play for Trait: I want to be the life of every party.

edit: typos and add formatting

Last edited:

Honest question for anyone who has answered: Have you actually played a campaign with all the races you have answered with?

I was about to answer the question, and then found myself saying, well, I have never really played a tortle before, but I have made a character. (Just in case I get the chance! ;) )

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Honest question for anyone who has answered: Have you actually played a campaign with all the races you have answered with?

I was about to answer the question, and then found myself saying, well, I have never really played a tortle before, but I have made a character. (Just in case I get the chance! ;) )
I am playing a Goblin Paladin now, and I've played in a campaign with a Warforged Monk, and another campaign with a Tortle Bard.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am curious, what are your favourite unusual races/lineages? Why those races?
I prefer more traditional races and usually play dwarves more than anything. Then elves, humans, halflings, and half-orcs.

Are those races "unusual"? By today's standard (as apparent from the thread), heck YES! ;)

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
kobolds seem to be commonly liked I wonder why as I do not see the appeal?
Underdog little guys who survive against the odds. You're the absolute underdog, weaker than goblins, but still they survive to the point they're a dragon's chosen servents. There's also a.... Large number of people who are way too horny on main for them.

Anywho, I love unusual stuff

1: Saurials (In concept). I love dinosaurs. I am a crazed cackling madman whenever it comes up. So, Saurials are my jam. Except.... Except their whole thing about not being able to talk is just annoying in this day and age, the scent thing really doesn't work from any logical standpoint, they're never used and the one big saurial who shows up more than once is an outdated 70s depiction so bad it takes me a good long while to even find a genus it should be. Seriously, Dragonbait looks like he belongs in one of those cheapo dinosaur amusement attractions, somewhere between the Jurassic Park raptors and the Stegoslug. If I can't get modern dinosaur-esque reconstructions, I at least want Dinotopia-esque stuff, not a lumposaurus. And also, where are the fricking dromaeosaur and "Whatever suitably large grouping includes Giganotosaurus and Tyrannosaurus" and spinosaur ones?
2: Thri-kreen. Just, love these mantids. Unique vibe to them and recognisably alien mindset
3: Gnolls. No clue why I like them, but I do. Their 4E stuff was aslo really good which made the 5e depiction, hurt.
4: Bladelings. Who remembers Bladelings? Obscure as heck race from 2E who were just, sort of there to fill in flavour for the planes. Blame 4E for me liking them again. A god turns them into living weapons and then betrays them so they decide "Nuts to this" and go off on their own? I love it.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

No, I've never actually had a good chance to play a Tortle. I just like them. I have a Tortle druid all ready (will be Circle of Dreams).

Sort of. It was a changeling like character back in 2e.

Paul Smart

Explorer
Yes, I have. I played a Tortle Wizard about 2 years ago. I played a Lizard Person fighter before that. I have a changeling soul knife ready to go and am currently playing an Assimiar Celestial Warlock. Before I moved I also played a Genasi Bard. He was fun.

Remove ads